PDA

View Full Version : LATCH for "flexible" connectors

lrg
12-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Manuals for both of our Hondas (CRV and Odyssey) say they recommend the rigid connectors over flexible for LATCH installations. Our Graco Snugride has the flexible kind. Does this mean it's safer to install with the seatbelt?

While I'm at it - I swear my questions never stop - I was trying to look up several things in old posts and saw some indications that a FF child is safest in the center - would this be over putting the baby in the center RF? My 4 1/2 year old was in the center until we had #2 and we moved him behind the driver's side in both the Odyssey and CRV... figuring the baby was more delicate and should be in the center. Some posts regarding other subjects are making me think I should be switching them but they don't explicitly say so. I haven't been thrilled with my son next to the door in the first place - he seems so close to it (esp in the CRV)- but nothing I can do with more than one child. The baby will be close, too, and that will freak me out as well. What's the scoop?

o_mom
12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
I think the rigid LATCH connectors are easier to get a good install, but I'm not sure the seatbelt offers any advantage over the flexible LATCH. For the Snugride, especially, the LATCH install is much easier. You would probably need a locking clip to keep the base from tipping with the seatbelt.

For seating arrangements, in general, the safest thing to do is put the most protected child in the least protected spot (or the least protected child in the most protected spot).

For child seats, from safest to least safe is:
Rear-facing harnessed seat
Forward-facing harnessed seat
Booster

Although it seems counterintuitive, the rear-facing baby is safer than the forward-facing 4.5 yo, so ideally the baby should be outboard. However, any child properly restrained in the back seat is very safe, so sometimes practicality wins out. Many people can't fit two seats next to each other, so both have to be outboard. Other times, there is no shoulder belt in the center, so a child in a booster must be outboard. You work with what you have.

Joolsplus2
12-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Just <nodding> in agreement, thanks for saying it so well :)

KrisM
12-24-2007, 10:36 AM
I think the rigid LATCH connectors are easier to get a good install, but I'm not sure the seatbelt offers any advantage over the flexible LATCH. For the Snugride, especially, the LATCH install is much easier. You would probably need a locking clip to keep the base from tipping with the seatbelt.

We've got rigid LATCH on our infant seat. While it's super quick to get it tight, you lose flexibility with the angle. It is what it is. You can't put a noodle or towel underneath to fix the angle because the rigid connectors won't allow it.