PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Gift for a unfortunate 10 yr old girl. American Girl Doll?

WooChx
12-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Through a series of unfortunate events I am taking care of 2 wonderful kids that are not mine over the holidays. They live down the street and are being raised by their grandmother. She was sent to the hospital last week and will not be home in time for Christmas. These kids are the nicest children I have come across in a long time. They don't have much in the way of material items, since their grandmother is on an incredibly strict fixed income. The grandmother gets help from the senior center and her friends, but when I was told that the 10 year old girl was getting a new iron for Christmas (because that's what she wanted?? and "we have to be practical") I was a little taken aback. In thinking about all of the crap I have bought for my own 3 yr. old DD, I would like to get these kids something special for Christmas. The older boy was easy, he would like an MP3 player. The little girl is more of a challenge. I was thinking an American Girl doll, but I'm not sure if she is too old for that. She just turned 10 a few weeks ago and I think she is on the younger side. Would this work or are there any other suggestions? Thanks!

annasmom
12-17-2007, 01:31 PM
I think it depends, but it would probably be a great gift. I think at 10, she is probably at the tail-end of AG days. I have a niece who was still very into AG at 10 though. I think it is incredibly thoughtful of you to want to buy something really nice for the dc, but an AG is really pricey. What about one of the AG-type dolls?? I think Target sells one.

tiapam
12-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Can you just take her shopping and have her pick out something? A lot of girls that age are already into clothes and shoes, so she might actually like getting new clothes, even if it seems practical.

CiderLogan
12-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I would not assume she'd still be into AG, unless she has told you so. I agree with the idea of taking her shopping. Or you could suggest to her that you were thinking of AG but weren't sure if there was something she'd like more, and see what she says. If you hate to spoil the surprise, you could always get her a little something extra to go with the 'big' thing she's expecting (like a doll accessory if you get her the doll, or a headband or something to go with the outfit she picks out).

How nice of you to take care of her during the holidays!!

new_mommy25
12-17-2007, 10:20 PM
I would have loved an AG doll when I was 10. I begged for one for years and my parents never did buy me one. I can't wait until my DD is old enough. You are very kind.

kijip
12-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Does she read the books? If yes, then get her one. I was about 12 when I finally stopped wishing for an AG doll and I was a total tomboy, so I don't think it is too old. I think the AG doll with a the book/s would be more meaningful to a girl that age than a target one. If not, then look for something else. That is a hard age- too young for a lot of things, too old for other things.

Also, you may ask some of your friends and family members to contribute to helping the kids with gifts. It is a great way to spread costs and share the joy of giving. We are sponsoring a number of families and I love sharing the shopping and planning with other people.

BeachBum
12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I think I would do the old "help me shop for my niece, she's about your age" trick and see what the girl suggests for a peer.

deannanb
12-18-2007, 11:22 AM
I bet if you took her shopping at The Limited Too - or Gap - or some other "hip" clothing store - she would love that.

If she is getting an iron - then I think she would much appreciate some fun clothes. I also like the idea of the bookstore -

or how about taking her to have her hair and nails done.
I bet she would love some attention just for her.

Bath and Body Works makes an American Girl line of toiletries - they have sparkles.

rgors
12-18-2007, 11:25 AM
I think the clothing sounds better than an AG doll. If you get the AG doll then wouldn't she want a whole bunch of the clothes and accessories and stuff? Grandma wouldn't be able to afford that. In my family we jokingly call this "the gift that keeps on taking."

AngelaS
12-18-2007, 01:33 PM
My turning-10-on-Christmas-dd is getting her third AG doll. She loves them and they get lots of attention. I'd get the books to go w/whichever doll you're consideirng.

My dd also loves craft kits--beading, loom kits, scrapbooking, etc. The Klutz books at Target are really good. :)

WooChx
12-18-2007, 02:59 PM
Part of the problem with clothes is that the grandma is very strict about what she can and cannot wear. In fact, my birthday was 3 days ago - I took her and my DD to my mom's house for some cake. My mom gave the 10 year old a very age appropriate beaded bracelet (she bought it from a co-worker who's daughter makes them). When we got back to my house she dragged my husband into the back room to have him help her "wrap my present" - she gave me the bracelet my mom gave her, saying that although she really liked it her grandmother would not allow her to wear it because it was too sparkly and she would rather I have it. She is such a beautiful, thoughtful littler girl. Even her 16 year old brother is a funny, caring, wonderful boy.

brittone2
12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I like AngelaS's idea of possibly doing a craft kit. I think 10 is borderline for AGs. I'm sure there are tons of girls that still love and enjoy them, but there are so many pressures on girls to give up toys and move to teen/tween interests earlier and earlier :( My guess is a lot of 10 year olds are still interested in dolls but depending on their social circles, that might not be accepted :( If she's a younger 10, I'm sure she'd love it. It doesn't seem like she's allowed to have a bunch of more adult interests (based on not being able to wear the bracelet, etc.) so an AG might be perfect for her. Maybe you could drop a hint about your niece wanting one or similar and see how she responds?

The Klutz kinds of kits are fun for that age, as Angela mentioned.

I think you are so sweet to think of her during a difficult time in her life.

I saw these mentioned a few places as an alternative to AG dolls (just as pricey though). They have a modern and multicultural twist.
http://www.fao.com/catalog/boutique.jsp?categoryId=628

Globetrotter
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
If you get a doll, I would recommend getting a lower cost AG type doll. Gotz makes some beautiful ones that fit into AG clothes. You can see them on Ebay under Precious Day - the qualilty is comparable to AG and I actually find them prettier. If you're near a Tuesday Morning, they have a bunch for GREAT prices. With the "extra" money :) you can get some outfits, even knock-off brands. I say that because they wouldn't be able to afford accessories. Then, for future occasions you could give more outfits or books, assuming you will be in touch then! I don't know her ethnicity... Groovy Girls are relatively inexpensive and very hip, plus they represent many different ethnicities - you could get a bunch of stuff and accessories for the price of one AG doll. Just something to consider...

If not, the Klutz kits are wonderful and would keep her busy for some time. I was going to say books, but she could go to the library I suppose. Gosh, reading your post makes me realize how fortunate we are - life is so unfair at times, and they seem like sweet kids!

I actually admire her grandma for maintaining rules like that, even though personally I don't think I would be as strict and I think the bracelet was completely appropriate. I think that is probably a big factor in her unbringing and behavior!

Kris