PDA

View Full Version : Urggh ~ really irked at selling baby clothes

billysmommy
12-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I was selling some baby clothes on ds and I agreed to a lower price with someone who was going to buy quite a few pieces. She just sent me the pp for 5.00 less than we agreed to with a note that said ~ "I realized I didn't have as much in pp as I thought so I am sending what I have. I really appreciate you letting me do this."

That really irritates me ~ I already gave her a great deal for taking a bunch of the clothes and then for her to just send me even less $$$ and just assume it's going to be alright with me. I just refunded her with a note that said if she wanted the clothes it needs to be at the price we agreed to. I have a friend who just had a little boy that I would rather give them to at this point!!!!

Wife_and_mommy
12-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow. That's quite bold of her to do that! It was probably a lie, to boot.

Good for you for returning the $.

egfmba
12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Brava for not letting her get away with that! How rude! If she found she had less in PP than she thought, she should have emailed you and tried to renegotiate. Otherwise, she should have gracefully backed out of the sale with the reason given and moved on.

I am glad you didn't let her sneak in that way. I believe that if you've got an issue, you should face it head on, not be sneaky about it.

eva

KBecks
12-18-2007, 12:14 AM
Icky to try to undercut you and pressure you to sell for less. And good for you for not accepting that kind of manipulation.

Sillygirl
12-18-2007, 12:46 AM
What a witch - I'd have sent the note saying if she wanted the clothes, it would need to be at the original price, for wasting your time.

TahliasMom
12-18-2007, 04:33 AM
can't stand ppl like that. i sell quite a few of dd's stuff to other mom's in our local mom's group. on few occasions, one will stop up to pick up stuff, open her wallet and stupidly say oh i only have xxx (seems to be always $5 less). so irritating! never mind that we already agreed on a price and i have other buyers willing to pay the stated price. :(

dr mom
12-18-2007, 05:47 AM
"I realized I didn't have as much in pp as I thought so I am sending what I have. I really appreciate you letting me do this."

I interpret her message literally as: "I really appreciate you letting me totally take advantage of you and being too timid to make an issue of it."

But then you turned around and did a great job of setting your non-negotiable boundaries without being rude! :) Bet she was surprised!

casey0729
12-18-2007, 06:58 PM
wow, that's pretty ballsy of her to actually write that. I am glad you refunded her the money. Have you heard from her since?

billysmommy
12-18-2007, 08:24 PM
She did send me a pm just a few minutes ago that said she didn't think it was that good of a deal anymore and she was going to have to pass on it. But that if I decided to sell them to her at the lower price she would still take them.
I replied that I was going to give them to my friend's little boy :D

katydid1971
12-18-2007, 09:22 PM
OMG what a B!tch. A few years ago a my book club had a fundraiser garage sale to raise money for a local charity. There were some people who were doing everything short of stealing the stuff and I had no backbone to tell them no. I am glad you stood up for yourself. Way to go!!!! :14:

kijip
12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Ugh. I am so glad you stood up to her. What a PITA. One time, when I was moving and needed the stuff gone and the cash, I sold a bunch of Toby's outgrown stuff (everything from high chair to tot bed to clothes to stroller to back pack) on CLs as a *today only* type offering. This couple came up and wanted to haggle me down $10 less than I was willing to go on the REI baby back pack by saying they only had X in cash. I refused and then the husband/grandfather (they were in their 60s and buying for their pregnant daughter) all but yelled at me. He then called me back in an few hours and was like "have you changed you mind yet?!!!" and I was like dude, I already sold it to someone else for my original asking price (which was $20 more than they wanted to pay.) It feels good to not let these people win.

Pennylane
12-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Good for you!!

I think this is a common practice, especially on Craigslist. I have had two people show up at my house to buy things and they never have the right amount. I always keep spare cash in a canister just for these occasions.

Ann

JoyNChrist
12-20-2007, 04:38 AM
Good for you for not caving in! As someone who has bought several of your items off the swap group, I think your prices are already very fair, especially with a discount! Boo to her for being such a cheapskate!

Melanie
12-20-2007, 04:57 AM
Oh how tacky of her. It's one thing to do that and ask you to wait until she gets it (still annoying) totally another to assume you will just take less money. I'll bet she does that to a lot of people. You should post a warning feedback (they have feedback there, right?)