PDA

View Full Version : Several attraction q's

KrystalS
12-18-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm trying to decide if we should see certain shows at the various parks. I definitely think we can make it thru MGM and AK by 4 or 5 if we get there at opening. I'm just going to list the attractions, DD is 4, just wondering if can be skipped or are a must see. I downloaded touring plans and these are a few that I think we might skip.
AK:Maharaja Jungle Trek, Flights of Wonder(DD isn't that interested in birds), Its Tough to Be a Bug(is this really as scary as some of the guide books say?), Pocahontas & Friends(heard this was kind of boring)
What is the difference between the Nemo show at AK and the one at Epcot? Which is better? I don't think we'll want to see Nemo twice.

MGM: Star Wars(scary for younger kids?), Muppetvision 3D(DD isn't a big Muppet fan so I thought we could skip this)
Since we want to see Fantasmic we probably won't leave here early, any restaurant recommendations?
Backlot Tour(worth it?)

Momof3Labs
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
The Jungle Trek is interesting but your DD probably wouldn't miss it if you skip it. Skip the Bug movie. My 5yo DS is enamored with bugs but was scared in this movie. Haven't seen Flights of Wonder with kids, and never seen Pocahontas or Nemo, so can't comment on those. Do factor in wait time before shows, though. For Lion King and Nemo, they recommend getting in line 45 minutes before the show starts (though if the park is slow, you can probably still get in close to show time). A lot of what you can coordinate will depend on show times, which you won't know until you get there (Lion King, Nemo, Pocahontas, and Flights of Wonder are not shown continuously throughout the day).

Nemo at Epcot is just a short ride. It's cute for little ones.

My DS loved Star Wars but there is a height restriction on it that you should consider. It could be scary for your DD, or she could love it. IMO, the Muppetvision movie is really cute, but it depends on how your DD does with 3D movies. My DS loved Philharmagic but was so-so on the other 3D movies at WDW (he didn't see the Muppet one on this trip, though).

The Backlot Tour is interesting and worth doing once.

Just a suggestion, since you are trying to do these parks in one day each. Prioritize the things that you want to see rather than crossing off those that you don't want to see. You'll be amazed at how often you get side-tracked by a character, shop or other distraction - it's hard to move smoothly between attractions without a preschooler finding something to stop and check out.

Food-wise, MGM is pretty abysmal. 50's Diner and Sci-Fi are interesting themes but hard to get if you are going anytime soon. The hot deli sandwich at the little food area close to Tower of Terror was the most edible thing we found at MGM on this trip. Mama Melrose's has been fine in the past, but it's nothing special. You might want to see if you can get a Fantasmic package with one of the restaurants, where you get your meal plus preferred seating
for Fantasmic.

dotgirl
12-18-2007, 08:57 PM
It's Tough to be a Bug - Our DD found this scary when she was 10 - honestly, I think it depends on how easily your child gets scared. There's no way we'll take DS to take it now that he's 4, but we did take him to it when he was 15 months old, if that makes sense.

Muppetvistion 3-D is a cute little show, and it's a good excuse to get some time to sit down, if you're getting sore. ;)

egoldber
12-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll preface this by saying that Sarah is a show FANATIC LOL!!

AK:
The jungle trek is very skippable.

Flights of Wonder is one of our VERY favorite shows at WDW. We never miss it.

Pocahontas is skippable, but Sarah really enjoys it. It's an animal show with an environmental message. It's pretty short and usually easy to catch right after the Lion King show.

The Nemo show here is a VERY interesting stage production with characters coming into the audience. I've never seen anything else like it. The Epcot Nemo ride is a very short kiddie ride. My only gripe is the show is a little long and you have to be there pretty much 30 minutes in advance to guarantee a seat or else risk not getting in at all.

Sarah's never seen Tough To be a Bug. MANY kids, even older ones are freaked out by this. I found it freaky the first time I saw it when I was an adult! I'm really surprised Disney has not re-done this show.

MGM:

Sarah did find Star Tours scary the first time (I think she was 4?) but did fine the last time we went when she was 5.

The Muppets are really cute, but skippable.

I think the Backlot Tour is boring but Sarah likes it. It's a bit long is my only gripe.

In case you were thinking of skipping it, Sarah ADORES the Great Movie Ride. But ride it very early because the line can get super long and its not worth a long wait. Plus the ride itself is not as enjoyable IMO when they make it a higher capacity ride by adding bigger cars.

Our fav restaurant is definitely SciFi. Mama Melrose is OK but nothing special. The Toy Story Pizza Place is OK. Near Fantasmic there are several fast food type stands. We usually just get burgers and hot dogs and fries. As a little tip, you can take your food into the Fantasmic arena and eat it there. Its a good way to kill time before the show. There are also food stands inside the arena that sell hot dogs and burgers.

And FYI, many kids also find Fantasmic VERY scary. I would try for a seat about midway to 2/3 of the way back in the arena for your first viewing. If you sit too close you may get wet. The first time Sarah saw it (at age 4), we were actually in standing room and I think that was not a bad way to see it since you're far away from the really scary elements.

tarabenet
12-18-2007, 09:42 PM
The Epcot Nemo attraction is a simple ride, the kind you hop onto from the moving sidewalk next to it. Cute.

The AK Nemo is a huge show, a la Disney Broadway productions. It was incredible. When we saw it, the little girl (6YO or so) behind me kept standing up and tapping me on the shoulder, to point in wonder and say "Look! It's Nemo! Do you see him?" It was so cute. Her parents thought she was bothering me, but I loved it.

KrystalS
12-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advance! My Dh thinks I'm crazy for researching every last detail but I would rather be prepared!

bnme
12-20-2007, 08:11 AM
I was in WDW the first week of Dec with my 3 & almost 5yo boys. We finished AK by 3 & MGM by 5 and were not there right at open (maybe 9:30). At MGM this included doing the Little Einstein breakfast. We didn't do a lot at AK though -but we were a bit unorganized there. The Nemo show was great! My 3yo got a little ansty, but at the very end. They were both amazed at what they were seeing. We were lucky and went about 20 mins before show and went right in. We were seated high, but not a problem at all. They loved the safari & Triceratops spin. We did the Trek to see gorillas and they enjoyed it but it took time and was walking out of our way.

My boys really enjoyed the muppet show but they are familiar with the charactes. They loved the Movie ride and Backlot Tours. They also loved the car stunt show :). We spent a lot of time doing the Pixar characters like Buzz & Woody, Power Rangers, Lightning McQUeen -all the boy stuff is here. We didn't do Fantasmic. Ate at Hollywood & Vine and Pizza Planet.

Have fun planning. Its worth it. You would be overwhelmed when you got there if you didn't.

KrystalS
12-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I have pretty much everything planned out, but I know it won't all go as planned. DD is more excited about seeing the characters than anything else so I know we will stop every time she sees one. She loves Toy Story, where did you see Buzz & Woody? I'll def add the Movie Ride to my list of must sees I've had several ppl tell me their kids enjoyed it.
How was the Little Einstein breakfast? I'm thinking about making a reservation.

dotgirl
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advance! My Dh thinks I'm crazy for researching every last detail but I would rather be prepared!

Really? I think "crazy" would be to take a trip to a huge theme park, with excited and energetic toddlers, and not have a plan.

But I'm kind of weird about that, and I've already started created a colour-coded list of what to do on our trip in January. ;)

bnme
12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
I have pretty much everything planned out, but I know it won't all go as planned. DD is more excited about seeing the characters than anything else so I know we will stop every time she sees one. She loves Toy Story, where did you see Buzz & Woody? I'll def add the Movie Ride to my list of must sees I've had several ppl tell me their kids enjoyed it.
How was the Little Einstein breakfast? I'm thinking about making a reservation.

My older son loved the characters too. And it is time consuming. A couple of times DH and I made a quick u-turn or something to avoid a character -when DS1 was getting bored of it and it wasn't a favorite. ;)

Buzz & Woody were at Al's Toy barn on Streets of America. It is a specefic meet and greet spot with sprecefic times. When you get your map you can get a list of all the show times, parade info, and character info. I think it even gave the amount of time shows/rides took.

We enjoyed the Einstein's breakfast. Jo Jo and Goliath were also there. But only 2 Einsteins. We had June & Quincey -I think it is random who you will get. We then had to hunt Annie down at her greeting spot because she is reason we went there in the first place! And we almost missed her there, too! The food was good and the characters danced with the kids at certain points.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

egoldber
12-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Buzz & Woody can be found outside Al's Toy Barn in MGM. Sometimes Jessie and the Green Army Man are there too.

Woody & Jessie can be found in Adventureland in the MK near the Pecos Bill Cafe. Buzz can be found near the Carrousel of Progress in Tomorrowland at the MK.

KrystalS
12-20-2007, 11:18 PM
I know there are so many questions that I will wish I had asked after I get there! I have spent months preparing but I still feel totally unprepared. I'm sure I'll have more once the holidays are over and I have more time to think about the trip.

egoldber
12-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Its important to remember that you simply cannot do it all in one trip. You just can't. We've been almost a dozen times and still not "done it all". :)