PDA

View Full Version : OT: favorite (or terrible) smart phones

Melanie
12-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I have verizon. I'm getting a new phone and I've decided what I really need is something I can sync up with my outlook calendar. I'm perpetually late, no-showing and overbooking myself. Hopefully this will help!

I'd love to know if anyone has one of these they love or not.

Originally I was eyeing the new Voyager, but it can't sync up with my outlook so that's useless to me. Why on Earth they even put it on the market without that is beyond me

Thanks!

BillK
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
The Samsung SCH-I760 looks pretty sweet. I'm afraid I'm not much help beyond that though.

caleymama
12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I have Verizon too and while I'm not up on current models I absolutely adore my Palm Treo 650. I've had it nearly 2 years and have been nothing but pleased. I sync with the Palm Desktop software, not outlook, so I'm not help there either. I was previously using a Palm PDA and a Verizon phone so the Treo was a perfect way to integrate the two. Having all my contacts and my calendar at my fingertips has been so wonderful. I don't have a plan for internet service so I would pay per kb if I were to use it (or if I were to send picture messages, since they require kb usage to send - that's the only thing I don't do as often with the Treo) but as a combo PDA and phone it's been super and I text message just fine. I couldn't get along w/o a Qwerty keyboard. I feel lost using DH's "regular" cell phone.

www.treocentral.com and www.cnet.com were helpful when I was deciding and have been useful since

SheriRae
12-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I have the Blackberry Pearl and LO-VE it! It will sync with your Outlook.

Melanie
12-18-2007, 08:39 PM
salesmen are driving me UP THE WALL.

One said voyager will not link, one said it would. reviews say it won't. one said the blackberry will not sync.

Dh had a treo 2 years ago and had nothing but troubles with it. maybe it was just him!

Melanie
12-18-2007, 08:41 PM
The Samsung SCH-I760 looks pretty sweet. I'm afraid I'm not much help beyond that though.

I'm eyeing that one. I just went to my local store and someone had stolen their floor model! Huh? Anyway, so I have to go to another to "play" with it first. I also liked the XV6800 and it has WiFi whilest Samsung one does not. I have to decide if that is $50 useful to me or not. I won't be subscribing to the broadband services.

SheriRae
12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
I always shop for my Verizon phone online and order it online so I don't have to deal with the salespeople. I do my research on CNET and if I have questions I just call Verizon. The salesman that told you the Blackberry does not sync with Outlook should get a new job! My husband and most of his key staff have Blackberry's mainly for the easy of the Outlook sync to their phones.

I sync my Outlook to my Blackberry a number of times daily. ; )

jerigirl
12-19-2007, 12:31 AM
I asked DH his recommendation, as he just bought the Motorola Q 9m this past weekend. He says that it (Q 9m) is about half the price of the Samsung SCH-I760 and has all of the same features except that on the Q 9m you use a thumb scroll and a QWERTY keyboard instead of a stylus. The Q 9m does not have a touch screen. DH also said he also has read many reviews of trouble with the TREO. DH also does not intend to use the data services with his device. He was told by the Verizon rep that you have to get a data plan with the Blackberrys, so he excluded those. His main reason for going with the Q 9m was that it was the cheapest device that syncs with Outlook. He was also lead to believe that the Voyager does not sync with Outlook. He ended up going back to the same store 3 times and talking to 3 different people before getting the answers he was looking for and was ready to purchase. I hope this was helpful to you!! Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. (I can ask DH.) :)

Jeri

KrystalS
12-19-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure if Verizon sells them, b/c I have ATT but I just got a Samsung Blackjack and I love it. It will sync with outlook. Dh got a blackberry and I don't like it, its really complicated, too many features for me.

Melanie
12-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Ladies (& gentlman!), thank you so much for all of your responses. This is so helpful to me.

dhano923
12-19-2007, 05:26 AM
I have verizon. I'm getting a new phone and I've decided what I really need is something I can sync up with my outlook calendar. I'm perpetually late, no-showing and overbooking myself. Hopefully this will help!

I'd love to know if anyone has one of these they love or not.

Originally I was eyeing the new Voyager, but it can't sync up with my outlook so that's useless to me. Why on Earth they even put it on the market without that is beyond me

Thanks!

I have a blackberry 8830 and love it. I also use Verizon and sync my Blackberry to my Outlook at work and also forward my personal emails to it from home. I use the Blackbery Redirector to forward my work emails to it, but it syncs when I plug it in with the USB cable.

caleymama
12-19-2007, 09:54 AM
DH also said he also has read many reviews of trouble with the TREO. DH also does not intend to use the data services with his device. He was told by the Verizon rep that you have to get a data plan with the Blackberrys, so he excluded those.

I have also read so-so things about the more recent Treo models, and since mine is older it was more of a plug for a smartphone in general. I too ruled out the Blackberrys b/c I don't need (or at least don't want to pay for!) a data plan and my email on the go so a Treo better fit my needs.