PDA

View Full Version : Healthytoys.org tested 22 more toys

brittone2
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
if anyone is interested.

http://www.healthytoys.org/product.tmtresults.php

That FP doctor kit blood pressure cuff yet again showed high lead levels.

mshen
12-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks! I bookmarked the website.
________
California dispensary (http://california.dispensaries.org/)

boyzmom
12-18-2007, 09:33 PM
I didn't realize the FP medical kit was even a problem. Its wrapped and under my xmas tree. Are stores taking them back? I know I don't have the receipt. What should I do?? send it to FP??? I don't want the kids playing with it knowing those levels.

Thanks

Sara

emilys_mom
12-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks- I was just on the site looking for the Melissa and Doug food because I ordered a bunch for DD for Christmas. I am glad you found it- now I don't have to worry.

ellies mom
12-18-2007, 11:15 PM
I didn't realize the FP medical kit was even a problem. Its wrapped and under my xmas tree. Are stores taking them back? I know I don't have the receipt. What should I do?? send it to FP??? I don't want the kids playing with it knowing those levels.

Thanks

Sara
It is just the red "blood pressure cuff". FP hasn't recalled it because it wasn't an official test and they say the levels are within the allowable amount. You can try and return it or just remove the cuff ahead of time or after a day or so.

sarahsthreads
12-19-2007, 01:02 AM
That FP doctor kit blood pressure cuff yet again showed high lead levels.

Oh, great. When my grandparents asked what DD wanted for Christmas, I told them a doctor kit for her baby doll (thinking the Little Mommy set) since she'd specifically asked for one, and they thought that was such a great idea they went out and bought doctor kits for four of their great-grandchildren, the other three of which are boys. (They're hoping one of the four will become a doctor because they had a play doctor set. Um, I don't think that's *quite* how it works...) I'm guessing they bought that one, since the one I suggested is a bit girly. Now I need to figure out how to get DD to not actually open it and play with it before I can exchange it for something safer...if there is such a thing, of course. :P

Sarah :)

ThreeofUs
12-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Thank you for posting this - bookmarked! I was worried about a toy or two, and found them on the list.

citymama
12-19-2007, 04:14 AM
They also tested the Melissa and Doug Cutting Food (which for some reason is not on that list and appears to be filed wrong so it is hard to search for :P ) I know alot of mommas were asking about it.

http://www.healthytoys.org/product.details.php?getrecno=1014

Thanks for the link - I was one of the moms who had asked that the M&D play food be tested since my kiddo plays with it every day! Although it got an overall Low rating, it didn't exactly make the grade. I was concerned to see that it showed mercury, arsenic and chromium (in the carrot and bread) at almost the maximum permissible level. Put that together with a few sips from her Nuby sippy cup (with the same level of arsenic in the silicon spout) and you have an unsafe dose. Also, note that these dosage levels were developed for the average adult male, not a 25 lb toddler...argh.

Re the FP Medical Kit, to anyone who has purchased it, I'd recommend returning it ASAP if possible, and if you can't, get rid of the BP cuff before your kid gets his hands anywhere near it!

brittone2
12-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah, DS played w/ that M&D stuff a lot as a toddler. I guess the results could be worse, but it isn't exactly comforting. We put some of it away when the MIC recalls first started to hit.

With the BP cuff, numerous consumer groups have found lead in it, so I don't think it is a fluke. I think the company keeps coming back to "accessible" lead vs. the amount of lead in it overall. You know what? As a parent, I don't want lead in my children's toys, thankyouverymuch. I'm not comfortable with it. It frustrates me that these companies keep coming back to that argument. Change your products...we don't want lead in any form in our kids' toys!!

I think I heard on NPR recently that FP pulled the cuff, but only in IL because of the specifics of the law there. Really comforting, huh? It is not sold in one state, but the rest of us are supposed to be happy about letting our children own and play with it?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16951320
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2007/12/fisher-price--1.html
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/pressroom/2007_12/20071203.html

vludmilla
12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Thank you Brittone2 for posting this. I bookmarked the page so that I can research toys I want to buy. You do a great service here educating so many of us. I really appreciate that you take the time to do that.

I have a question about the M&D food. I thought the levels were marked as low. Where is the reference to maximum amounts of acceptable levels...

citymama
12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
I have a question about the M&D food. I thought the levels were marked as low. Where is the reference to maximum amounts of acceptable levels...

On the page with results for M&D cutting food, click on the link where it says "view complete chemical results for this product." That gives you details of their test results. That data indicates that:
--arsenic was detected on the carrot at the 90th percentile of permissible safe levels
--mercury detected on carrot and bread at 99th percentile
--chromium on bread and cucumber at 95th percentile
--the watermelon and tomato are fine!

As a mom who has also done some environmental toxicology research in grad school, I found this disconcerting. It's inevitable that toddlers will put play food in their mouths, so this amount of risk isn't really acceptable.

I wonder if we should follow up with M&D? Anyone else on board with that plan?

ellies mom
12-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Thank you Brittone2 for posting this. I bookmarked the page so that I can research toys I want to buy. You do a great service here educating so many of us. I really appreciate that you take the time to do that.

If you look in the drop down menus, "chemical concerns" lists the maximum level of each chemical that is allowed for toys. Some are just voluntary (usually in the US) and some are required (usually by the European toy industry itself).

The amount of arsenic in the carrot was 2 ppm, The max allowed (voluntary in US, "required" in Europe) is 25.

The amount of mercury in the bread is 9 and in the carrot is 7. The max allowed (voluntary in US, "required in Europe) is 60.

vludmilla
12-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok, so how is 2ppm at the 90th percentile of max allowable? Doesn't it seem like the responses to my question are conflicting? I don't mean to be a PITA. I'm really just trying to figure out if the brand new M&D cutting food I bought DD is safe for her to play with.
TIA for any help.

ellies mom
12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, so how is 2ppm at the 90th percentile of max allowable? Doesn't it seem like the responses to my question are conflicting? I don't mean to be a PITA. I'm really just trying to figure out if the brand new M&D cutting food I bought DD is safe for her to play with.
TIA for any help.
I don't think that is what is saying. I have a feeling the percentile is referring to the accuracy of the test results but it never really says what that number means anywhere on the website. That would be a good question to ask.

As for the M&D Cutting Food, my DD has it, loves to play with it and I'm going to continue to let her play with it.

just_teachin
12-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I think I heard on NPR recently that FP pulled the cuff, but only in IL because of the specifics of the law there. Really comforting, huh? It is not sold in one state, but the rest of us are supposed to be happy about letting our children own and play with it?
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16951320
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/safety/2007/12/fisher-price--1.html
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/pressroom/2007_12/20071203.html

Thanks for posting about the Illinois Attorney General. We're in IL and DD got that kit for Easter (along with my nephew). I'll call the 800 number tomorrow.

Thank you again!!!

lisams
12-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Holy carp did y'all see the Circo (Target) shoes?!!!! Each pair they tested were super high in lead. I am never buying shoes there again.

brittone2
12-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah, the shoes were scary. Scary scary. My DD has been known to grab DS's rain boots (from Target I believe) and chew on the top (the part w/ handles for pulling them on). I discourage it for the PVC mostly, but I'm about to chuck the things entirely after seeing their reports.

I've contemplated the Robeez style shoes from Target more than once and passed them by. I wonder how Robeez and the other knockoffs stack up? That is so sad, because babies are forever pulling off shoes and trying to chew on them...or at least my kid does!

writermama
12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
OK, we're throwing out any figures in the set of logs grandma bought.