PDA

View Full Version : What to pack?

KrystalS
12-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes I'm posting again, lol! I'm getting a head start on packing some clothes since we are going out of town for Christmas/New Years. I've checked weather.com and from the averages I think we're looking at around 70 for highs. We're going Jan 9-16. I know we will need a jacket for morning and evening but is it warm enough during the day for shorts? I get cold so I won't be wearing shorts, but DD is hot natured so I'm thinking she might want to wear shorts, at least during the day. I plan to take a change of clothes to the parks for her regardless.
Any tips or items I might not think to pack?

egoldber
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Have your jacket be able to double as a rain jacket.

Last January we mainly wore capris and pants. I think I took one pair of shorts for Sarah in case it got really hot. An alternative is to pack dresses that you can wear either alone (if its hot) or with pants/capris (if its cold).

klwa
12-19-2007, 02:20 PM
A friend just got back & said that for the most part it was nice & warm, but their last couple of days, they REALLY needed the cold-weather clothes. Down in the 30's in the morning, to only warm up to 50's.

dotgirl
12-19-2007, 02:43 PM
I would suggest capris, as the PP did - they're warm enough if it's cool, but cool enough if it's warm. I would also suggest short sleeved shirts and a couple of sweaters - it's easy enough to carry a sweater with you, and in the early mornings and after dark, you will probably want it.

Momof3Labs
12-19-2007, 05:43 PM
In December (probably not unlike January) the weather can be all over the board. On our trip 12/5-15, at the beginning, it was 70's during the day (jeans or capris and t-shirts) and cool enough in the AM and evening for a sweatshirt. Then it got so muggy and miserable, like late September, with mid-80 temps and humidity at the 100% mark. I've also seen it 40's and windy in December.

The key is layers - bring clothes that are versatile because the weather could change during the time that you are there, too! A couple of pairs of capris, a couple of pairs of jeans and a couple of pairs of shorts just in case.

writermama
12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I've been in January when it was 87 degrees and sunny, and when it was 51 and raining ... and that was on the SAME trip.

I would bring at least one outfit for any weather no matter what weather.com tells you to expect. Then, the bulk of my packing would be long pants and capris and short sleeves that could be layered with a sweater or jacket.

Capris are also great for kids in warm weather because of the knee protection -- we would have had 2 kids with skinned knees without them on our last trip.