PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recemend a good vacum cleaner?

jess_g
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
My Hoover has brooken again. I need something that will vacum and not get brooken every other month like this one! I know I can take it in to get fixed but I need to vacum before our Christmas party and it might not be back in time. Does anyone have any recemendations for a new one? I don't want to spend over about $200 and would like to get a backless one with good suction. Any advice on what to get? I would love to get a Dyson but don't think my husband would be happy if I did.

Thanks,

Jessica.

vludmilla
12-19-2007, 04:00 PM
I think canister vacs are often better/more reliable than uprights. Miele's are great but expensive if you dopn't find a sale.
Have you checked Consumer Reports? I don't know if they have the reviews for free online. Some are free others are subscription only.

willow33
12-19-2007, 04:03 PM
We have a Kenmore Canister vac from Sears and really like it. They are not bagless though. We have mostly hardwood floors and I really prefer the floor attachment on the canister. HTH!

winifredzb
12-19-2007, 04:24 PM
We have a Sharp which we've had for 10 years and it is great. We also have an Oreck. It is very lightweight and does a great job.

My parents have a Miele and they love it -- my Dad vacuums for therapy and he would cry if anything happened to it. It does do a fabulous job.

jess_g
12-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Can someone tell me what the difference between a canister vacum and an upright is? Do they have the same power and suction? I have only had uprights and never even considered a canister vacum before.

Thanks,

Jessica.

mezzona
12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
i have an upright oreck. super light. cant remember how much we paid for it. and it came with a handheld canister(?) vacuum too. honestly, my DH is the vacuumer (i hate vacuuming) but i love using the handheld for corners, crevices, the car, the couch, etc. if i had to buy another vacuum, i'd probably get an oreck again.

daniele_ut
12-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I just took my Hoover WindTunnel into the shop for an estimate today, but if it's too expensive to fix, I'll probably be replacing it with the Bissel Total Floors Velocity. It's supposed to be a really good Dyson knockoff for around $150. If I decide to spend a little more, then the Bissel Healthy Home is supposed to be even nicer.

katydid1971
12-20-2007, 12:56 AM
We have an Eureka Boss that we got about 2 years ago. It does use bags but they are not very expensive and they are easy to find. At the time it was CR's best buy and we have been very happy with it. It was about $150 and can be purchased everywhere (sears, target, walmart, best buy, etc) Its an upright but has a hose for curtains, etc. I love it and so does DH who is the person who uses it the most.