PDA

View Full Version : Can you remove the arm rests on an Apex?

clc053103
12-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I am having a huge problem getting 2 1/2 yr old DS in and out of the car seat. It's a small car with a small back seat (2006 BMW 3 series) and there's no room for him to jump out onto the back seat floor and step out of the car-he has to be lifted over the arm rest and into the seat, all without bumping his head on the door frame - a task I don't accomplish very well! I've actually been cradling him (and he's huge!) to try to manuever him in the car, while yelling "duck your head!" If the arm rests weren't there, I think I could slide him in easier.

DS spends more time in the SUV with a britax- I am now thinking i should have bucked up for a second Britax!

Thanks for your help!

Joolsplus2
12-20-2007, 09:08 AM
I have a hunch if you call Dorel (www.djgusa.com) they will say no....

How about the Radian? Suuuuper low profile, even better than a Britax convertible (I remember the head bonk problem with my 3 yo in her Marathon was way worse than for my 5 yo in his Regent!)

:)

mom2binsd
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
We have an Apex 65 as our backup seat and I can't imagine how the armrests would be removed other than with saw, they are a pain in the butt for my 4 1/2 DD to climb over, and they are kinda flimsy but I wouldn't think you could remove them...ours also have the square holes in the plastic which DD got her finger stuck in one day, but they sent me a few strips of what seems like electrical tape to cover them.....am still considering trying to get a newer seat that doesn't have this flaw as I bought this seat and it was already 1 year old...anyway I doubt you could remove them but I understand the concern.

Beth

clc053103
12-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Beth, did you happen to buy the seat at Albeebaby.com?? I ordered one there that came in a year old and DIRTY. I mean, it looked like a floor model. They blamed Dorel- said they don't wrap the seats in plastic so dirt gets into the box. They sent me another seat- this one was clean, and slightly newer.

As for the holes in the armrests, apparently even the current seats have them! DS got his finger stuck too- they then sent us the new (clean) seat and surprise, surprise, that one had the holes too. There's just nothing to keep the covers on them either. We even tried double stick foam tape. I'm about ready to get out that saw you spoke of!

Or....just buy a new seat.

mom2binsd
12-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Yup Albee baby too, but ours was very clean...I had heard on this board that folks were able to get a new seat without holes in the armrest...I was hoping for that too but they said the repair kit would do.....yes the armrest covers come off easily and it wouldn't take much for DD on a long trip to get bored, take the cover off and undo the tape get her finger stuck again...then maybe I'd a newer seat (BTW when the seat first arrived I was mad at the year old DOM...neither Albee or Dorel were concerned....Dorel even said "what do you want me to do about it", Albee asked if I had a Britax...I guess they are more interested in DOM for the more expensive seats (I bought my Britax elsewhere)...so I only paid 90 dollars and we rarely use it so I guess I'm ok with it....

Beth