PDA

View Full Version : How to keep bath toys from getting moldy?

JoyNChrist
12-20-2007, 05:04 AM
I just threw out DS's 3rd rubber duck because it had mold on the inside.

I'm not sure how to keep these things clean. I squirt all the water out after his bath, then put the bath toys in one of those mesh hanging bags in the shower. But still, every few weeks I notice little moldy spots on the inside of the rubber duck.

Now, at $1 each, replacing the rubber duck every month or so isn't a huge deal. But I'm still wondering what y'all do about bath toys.

erosenst
12-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Running them thru the dishwasher usually takes care of it. I squeeze the water out after every bath, and periodically (read: not as often as I should...) put the toys in a mesh bag in the dishwasher.

HTH -

Emily

bubbaray
12-20-2007, 11:21 AM
We toss them and get new ones periodically. I try to find ones that don't squirt, but its hard to find them!

vludmilla
12-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I've never done this so I don't know if it would work but I microwave my sponge regularly to kill bacteria and keep it clean. I know a bath toy could melt if microwaved too long but perhaps a very quick, 10-second blast would dry it out. Or, maybe put the ducky in the clothes dryer on high and monitor it while you're doing something else in the laundry room.

redhookmom
12-20-2007, 03:32 PM
After running them through the dishwasher they get filled with water. When you squirt all of that hot water out the inside seems clean to me.

Canna
12-20-2007, 04:17 PM
I recently soaked DD's, inside and out, with a 10% bleach solution. It worked great, they looked really clean. It did alter the color of the paint on the face of the squeezy rubber sheep, but other wise no problems!

Lilysmom06
12-20-2007, 04:50 PM
We have the same problem - it is so hard to get all the water out. I had been doing a dilute bleach solution, but just last week I threw out all the squeeze toys. I bought a few plastic boats, and we have a bunch of old cups (like you get with a kiddie meal at Chilis) that she loves to play with. I also found some beach toys on clearance, and those seem easy to clean and fun for her.

I was just sick of the soaking in bleach and them never getting clean enough for me. Now I don't have to worry.

HTH. Kathy

ShanaMama
12-20-2007, 10:46 PM
I never thought of the dishwasher idea. I throw them all in the washing machine every so often. I've also tried to position that hanging mesh bag on a wall that doesn't get hit by the shower, so it doesn't get soaked every day. Lastly, lately I give DD a couple of toys at a time and not the whole bunch unless she asks for them.