PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about rocker/gliders?

nataliewt
12-20-2007, 08:55 PM
I figured out my Christmas present! I saw an open rocker/glider website on the computer after my husband thought I went to bed. So now that I know, he wants my input! We went to Babies R Us and concluded that we liked all the expensive options - locking rocker, recliner, ottoman, tall enough for the head to lean back... I wasn't too impressed with any of the upholstery options, but maybe they would look better when they aren't all next to each other. Anyway, does anyone have one that they like and what brand is it? What options do you find useful/not useful? Is Babies R Us the best place to buy them or should we look at a furniture store? I didn't really think that we'd be spending $600+ on my Christmas present - what about the cost?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Natalie

bubbaray
12-20-2007, 09:24 PM
We have 2 glider/ottoman chairs. One is a Dutalier, the other a Storkcraft. The Dutalier was about double the price and is much better quality. We use the Storkcraft one in my DD#1's room, it doesn't get much use as a glider, its just a chair to read in at night. The Dutalier has been used for both DD's in the nursery and I even had it for a couple of years prior -- it definitely has held up well to heavy use. I might get a new pad set for it in a couple of years, but it will be about 10 years old by that time.

Good luck!

birdie75
12-21-2007, 11:47 AM
We have the rocker/glider from pottery barn. It is wonderful and the slipcover is washable. It is upholstered and is super comfy, both my husband who is 6'3" and myself at 5'6" and plus size find it to be a good fit. One bit of warning, it is pricey, but I wanted something I can move to another part of the house after I am done using it in the nursery. For me I just don't like the look of the wooden ones and in particular wanted something wider and more squishy. Like you I looked at the upholstered ones at BRU but I found that the back of the chair wasn't high enough for my husband and I if we were to fall asleep in the chair.

As an alternate in our MBR we have a rocking lazy boy type chair, that worked OK when the baby was in a bassinet in our room. I think the chair is ugly but it was free so it lives in the corner of our room until I can convince DH to donate it to charity.