PDA

View Full Version : ISO my perfect diaper bag

chicagojo
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM
After years of trying to keep my "work bag" separate from my diaper bag, I've finally decided to look for something that can serve both functions. Now, I can't seem to find anything I like. Here are some of the features I'm looking for:
1) Decent size - I am used to the Skip Hop Duo and every time I try to convert to something smaller I end up getting frustrated that it doesn't hold enough. Both my kids have food allergies and I have to carry a lot of extra stuff around related to that - EpiPen, Benadryl, and a large stash of food & snacks in case we end up in a situation where there's nothing they can eat - plus all the usual stuff.
2) Lots of pockets - I especially love external pockets for easy access to cell phone, car keys, etc. without having to open up the bag
3) Conservative color/pattern - almost every bag I own is plain black leather or microfiber so if I'm going to branch out, it can't be anything too crazy
4) Long-ish straps - I have a relatively long torso and bags with straps that are so short that I can't look inside the bag while it's on my shoulder drive me crazy.
5) I'm not a big fan of gold-tone accents (otherwise I think I'd go for something like the Million Dollar Baby Bag or the Storksak Emily)
I am intrigued by the Fleurville Black Leather Luxe Bag but haven't actually seen it IRL.

I'm making myself crazy with this search...does anyone have any suggestions? TIA...

sarahbethsarah
12-21-2007, 01:07 AM
After years of trying to keep my "work bag" separate from my diaper bag, I've finally decided to look for something that can serve both functions. Now, I can't seem to find anything I like. Here are some of the features I'm looking for:
1) Decent size - I am used to the Skip Hop Duo and every time I try to convert to something smaller I end up getting frustrated that it doesn't hold enough. Both my kids have food allergies and I have to carry a lot of extra stuff around related to that - EpiPen, Benadryl, and a large stash of food & snacks in case we end up in a situation where there's nothing they can eat - plus all the usual stuff.
2) Lots of pockets - I especially love external pockets for easy access to cell phone, car keys, etc. without having to open up the bag
3) Conservative color/pattern - almost every bag I own is plain black leather or microfiber so if I'm going to branch out, it can't be anything too crazy
4) Long-ish straps - I have a relatively long torso and bags with straps that are so short that I can't look inside the bag while it's on my shoulder drive me crazy.
5) I'm not a big fan of gold-tone accents (otherwise I think I'd go for something like the Million Dollar Baby Bag or the Storksak Emily)
I am intrigued by the Fleurville Black Leather Luxe Bag but haven't actually seen it IRL.

I'm making myself crazy with this search...does anyone have any suggestions? TIA...

I've been looking for the same thing. I'm trying to decide between the Timbuk2 and the Skip Hop Via Messenger. Both seem to fit the bill.

nfowife
12-25-2007, 09:47 AM
I jut got a new skip hop city chic and it's great! It has a detachable wristlet thing on the front for your mama stuff to be seperate. If you don't have sippies in the cup holders, it doesn't look very diaper bag-ish to me. The circles pattern is pretty plain, too.

saschalicks
12-25-2007, 03:48 PM
I would recommend looking into the Ju Ju Be Be Spicy if you want a tote style. It comes in *crazy* patterns as well as black and brown. If you are looking more messenger style then I would go w/the BeAll.

I've had many many many diaper bags in my day and I have to say that the JJB really have impressed me.

If you are going for something a little more luxe the Not Rational diaper bag is beautiful, but there aren't a lot of pockets or organization.

HTH

Davids-Coco
12-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say the luxe is a small bag. Its a good size for my one toddler but had issues when he was smaller because I was carrying much more "stuff". I would guess that it will be way too small by your needs description.

dsb22
12-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Have you looked at the Gigi Storksak? It doesn't have exterior pockets, I think everything else meets your specs. I ordered one that arrived today and so far I love it...lots of interior pockets, good sized (but very light), and professional-looking enough to use for work.