PDA

View Full Version : should I get a kids potty?

elephantmeg
12-21-2007, 09:42 AM
DS is 22 months. I have always said that I wasn't going to do anything about potty training until after DD is born and then only if he was ready. But the last few days he has been holding his crotch and then saying "pee" and going into the bathroom and flushing the toilet. He won't sit on the big toilet. He seems really young but does he sound like he's ready to try? If he comes in while we're using the bathroom we say, "see mommy is peeing. When you get to be a big boy you will pee in the toilet too" and he loves to flush the toilet for me. Wow my baby is growing up!!!!!!!!!

TIA!

pb&j
12-21-2007, 11:44 AM
Sure! We have both the baby bjorn little potty and their potty insert. DS went through a spell of peeing on the potty every night before bed, but has since stopped that. Harumph. However, he will happily sit on either potty all day and all night reading books. I figure when he's ready to PT, at least he won't be scared of the potty.

If your DS wants to sit on the potty, let him!

ellies mom
12-21-2007, 02:27 PM
It is kind of one of those things where you won't know what the child is going to like until you offer both. Some kids want a little potty, some kids like the inserts. Ellie liked the inserts better. It doesn't hurt to have them around the house. We had them both for ages before Ellie was potty trained.

californiagirl
12-21-2007, 04:51 PM
DD started to use a little potty at about that age. She didn't train for another 6 months, but she'd pee before a shower or first thing in the morning.

JBaxter
12-21-2007, 06:04 PM
I got my little potties out at 18 months. My niece actually trained ( on her own basiclly) at 22 months. YES if she wants to get started ;)

gina
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
My dd is also 22 months. We bought a small potty months ago and she showed some interest in it then. She suprised me one day when I got her undressed for her bath and was running the water, she went in her room sat on the little potty (baby bjorn little potty) and peed all by herself! That was a few months ago. We have not had this much luck lately and she has not shown an interest as much. Anyway it definitely is not too early. If you look up Elimination Communication on the web, you will see that some people start way earlier. If you start now, you can take a more relaxed approach and let them do it at their own pace, rather than trying to do it all in one week.

I always thought potty training happened after they turned two, and it only took a few weeks. Now I think it should be a gradual process and start way earlier.

Some other things I do now to help her get the idea of going in the potty is letting her watch me dump the poop out of her dirty diaper into the toilet and we say bye poopie. Then I let her flush it. It sounds weird but she is getting the idea that poop goes in the potty.

good luck