PDA

View Full Version : Boundaries!

JustMe
12-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Sorry if this makes no sense.

So, I have a co-worker who has very different boundaries from me. She acts with me the way I would act with someone who had been a good, good friend for a long time...At first, I thought we might be developing a friendship, but pretty soon it became clear to me that I was not comfortable with her boundaries.

The biggest problem is the way she relates to dd. I am sometimes able to bring dd to work and the co-worker will ask dd to come with her while she does something, play by her desk etc. It created a problem for me because I wanted dd to be with me while I established rules for how to behave at work, etc, but she asked dd and not me (which I didnt like) but I dont like to contradict people in front of kids (I am not even sure if that makes sense right now). Also, sometimes I feel I need to work harder at accepting when people want to do something nice. Anyway, the other day when she asked dd if she wanted to go somewhere with her I told her dd needed to stay with me and the co-worker accepted it. (Dd was very upset). I really don't even want to have an in-depth conversation with the co-worker, I just want some space. I suppose I am being unfair because how is she supposed to know how I feel, but really I don't want to be super-close to her and don't even want to have a heart-to-heart about anything.

Does anyone understand what I am talking about?

ShanaMama
12-22-2007, 10:34 PM
I think it's perfectly reasonable to say to her: Please consult with me before offering my daughter an activity. Say it in front of DD. That's not the same thing as contradicting ppl in front of your DD, it's teaching DD how to assert yourself politely, and teaching her that you make the decisions, not her- although she might like to!
Work relationships can be so complicated. I've learned that you sometimes need to teach ppl how to treat you. Either that, or if it's not important enough to you then let it go completely. (I've been doing a lot of that lately!)

JustMe
12-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Very good advice Thank you.