PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractor vs. physical therapy?

sidmand
12-22-2007, 09:46 AM
I seem to have the beginnings of pregnancy-induced sciatica. The nurse suggested (since I have quite a few weeks to go), that I should probably look into either a chiropractor or PT asap.

DH thinks a chiropractor is a quack. I've only been to one and I didn't really like him, but I think it was more finding the right one for a rapport and for what I needed.

Anyone have any experience with either during pregnancy? Would you suggest one over the other?

A friend had suggested a chiropractor she really liked. He's about 20 minutes away, which isn't bad. I also used a PT I liked and could see if I could get an appointment there too. I'm just not sure which way to go.

TIA!

tylersmama
12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
Ok, here's my $.02 as someone who has worked in the rehab field (but I'm not a PT, I'm a certified athletic trainer). Chiropractors can be ok *for some things* if you find a good one. The problem is that there are a lot of not so good ones out there. A good chiropractor will thoroughly evaluate you and then implement a treatment program that includes physical therapy (or at least a strengthening/exercise program of some type) as well as manipulations and electrical stimulation/ultrasound/etc. The not so good chiropractor will just do the manipulations and treatments without doing any kind of strengthening. The problem with this is that it treats your pain and makes you feel better without doing anything about fixing the underlying cause, so you end up back there for the same thing 2-3 times a week, indefinitely.

Not to say that there aren't not so good PTs out there as well who will do similar things, but in my experience, you're much more likely to achieve long term pain relief from PT vs. chiropractic. If you have a good PT that you trust and know will do a good job, I personally would go that route. I would make sure that the PT has experience treating pregnancy conditions, though.

This isn't meant to be a slam on all chiropractors, it's just that my experience has been that there are a lot of chiropractors out there treating things that they have no business treating (like knee ligament injuries) or (as I said before) that treat things without trying to fix the underlying cause (usually muscle imbalances) who keep people coming to them for the same problem for twenty years. That said, I also know some phenomenal chiropractors who can work wonders.

My personal preference would be PT unless you know that you have a great chiropractor! Either way, make sure that the person has experience treating pregnant patients. HTH a little...

Melanie
12-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I saw a chiropractor throughout my pregnancy and highly recommend it. I had bouts of sciatica that were fixed with each adjustment. Sometimes my body held the adjustment longer than others. I would see one trained to see pregnant women, though. If you look at www.icpa4kids.org there is a list that are trained in the 'webster technique,' which is actually for getting breech babies to turn but IMHO I felt like they knew more about treating pregnant women than others would.

I think PT and Chiropractors each have their place. If you found a center that does both, even better for you. However my chiros never have and have always been great.

Emmas Mom
12-22-2007, 01:48 PM
I'd go to Physical Therapy, not a chiro.

jd11365
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Neither. I'd go to accupuncture. :)

But if only those, I'd go with PT. Both chiros I've seen were quacks. One hurt me.

vludmilla
12-22-2007, 03:29 PM
This is kind of O/T...sorry...

Hmm, I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but I do wonder about the education of chiropractors. I've noticed on a couple of occasions that chiroractors were working outside their field or returning to school for a new degree. Why is that? "Doctors" in any field don't usually go BACK to school to enter a new field! One ex-chiropractor I know is currently a teaching assistant at a middle school! A teaching assistant makes about 18-20k a year in New York; why would she do this? Another ex-chiropractor I met was returning to school for a degree in psychology with the eventual goal of working as a guidance counselor...again, why was she doing this? I am currently working on my dissertation in psychology and I can say with great certainty that I will NOT return to school to pursue advanced training in a completely different field. I may return for postdoc training to refine skills in
certain areas but that is different.
Anyway...just some random thoughts brought on by the discussion of ineffective chiros or quackery...

bubbaray
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Neither -- I'd go to a registered massage therapist, preferably one who deals exclusively with pregnant women. I did this when PG with DD#2 for headaches and it was AMAZING. Massage was the only thing that helped my severe PGy headaches, tylenol d/n touch them.

HTH

Momof3Labs
12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Following my separated pelvis from DS2's delivery, I saw both. In fact, I saw two different PTs. The chiro provided temporary relief, but I always ended up back there. The first PT was horrible and had me doing things that (I later learned) were only aggravating my recovery. Finally I found a PT who specializes in female pelvic issues, and saw here. It took a good 4 months before I had noticeable, lasting improvement, and another 4 months before she released me from her care (but I also had a 1 yr old injury at the time I first saw her, so treatment would naturally take longer).

For that matter, I was seeing a chiro who "specializes" in pregnancy leading up to DS2's delivery and he ignored my symptoms that I was developing a pelvic separation. I don't think that all chiros are bad, but I do think that he dropped the ball and could have helped me prevent the full separation if he wasn't focused on moving people in and out so fast.

So, I lean towards PT but *only* if you find a good PT - preferably someone who specializes in female pelvic issues. They are hard to find, so PM me if you want some help finding someone in your area.

Tondi G
12-22-2007, 06:49 PM
I saw a Chiropractor during both of my pregnancies and it totally alleviated my sciatic issues! If you can find someone who does both then great. For me, the Chiropractic helped with immediate relief (mine was BAD). Massage is also fantastic but you need to find someone who does pregnancy massage and preferably someone who has a pregnancy massage table (with the belly cut out) cause I found the side lying massage to not be as relaxing! I also had a few rounds of acupuncture as well!

bubbaray
12-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Massage is also fantastic but you need to find someone who does pregnancy massage and preferably someone who has a pregnancy massage table (with the belly cut out)

Some PGy RMTs no longer use the cut out tables, but elevate you with foam "blocks" I actually preferred that b/c it accommodated my huge PG boobs!

Definitely look for an RMT that deals with PG women (preferably exclusively). Makes a huge difference! :)

mytwosons
12-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Some PGy RMTs no longer use the cut out tables, but elevate you with foam "blocks" I actually preferred that b/c it accommodated my huge PG boobs!

Definitely look for an RMT that deals with PG women (preferably exclusively). Makes a huge difference! :)

I think the foam blocks are preferrable since they provide more support. I know someone who pulled some ligaments when she was using a cut-out table. All that weight and no support...ouch!

mom2binsd
12-23-2007, 01:48 AM
I had really bad sciatica with my last pg, saw a great Chiro who had lots of experience with pregnancy, also saw RMT in his office following the adjustments which I loved and I always went for an hour massage not 1/2 hour. Later on saw a RMT who specializes in prenatal, she had these new, very comfy bolsters, which she had invested a lot of money in as she was really developing her prenatal practice....it was heavenly....she is a friend and even came to the hospital 3 days after my c-section to give me a massage which was challenging as I couldn't lay down on my belly, she kinda sat behind me spread eagled...which was even funnier when the nurse came in but boy it felt great! With my first pg I saw a PT for the same thing without the same results...and it required a lot more visits but that's just my experience.

Beth

AngelaS
12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
I would go to a Palmer trained chiropractor. Palmer is the chiropractor school in eastern Iowa and it's nationally known. They are the only chiros I will see.

billysmommy
12-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I would go to a Palmer trained chiropractor. Palmer is the chiropractor school in eastern Iowa and it's nationally known. They are the only chiros I will see.

Many chiros are trained in the Palmer Technique ~ they teach it at quite a few of the schools. My DH went to NYCC (New York Chiropractic College) in upstate New York which is very similar to Palmer and also nationally known (He was accepted to Palmer but chose NY as it was much closer to home). The Palmer Technique is a technique for adjusting the upper cervical spine. You would want to ask for a Palmer educated chiro if looking for one who went to Palmer.