PDA

View Full Version : Wii game recs for preschoolers/families, please

jamsmu
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
WAHOO!! DH found a wii without any effort this morning... that's after 2 weeks of me calling Target and TRU every morning to find out the days shipment sold out in 8 minutes, or sold out an hour ago, you should have called before 8... Whatever, DH just has the touch. :14:

So, now we need some games. I have no idea where to start for the kids, but we def. want somethings we can play together. Any recommendations?

So far, I'm considering Carnival, Happy Feet, Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz, and FIFA World Cup Soccer. But that's only by searching amazon for who knows what.

Share your recs, please!

Pennylane
12-22-2007, 09:42 PM
My dd has Mario Party which her and my DH love to play. For Christmas she is getting Carnival, Playground and High School Musical sing along.

I also heard WII play is good. It comes with an extra remote and sells for 40.00 on Amazon. It did not get great reviews though.

Enjoy it, we really are having a lot of fun playing it with our DC.

Ann

colleenfs
12-22-2007, 10:03 PM
Julia (6 next month) is getting Barbie Island Princess and Disney Princess games for the Wii. Not sure how we'll do, but I'm sure she will love them!

The only game she can play now is bowling on Wii Play. She likes to watch Daddy play Guitar and Carnival.

dhano923
12-23-2007, 12:08 AM
We have a number of Wii games, but for DS (4), he has Playground, Carnival Games, and he also plays Wii Sports. I also got him Cosmic Family, which is specifically for preschoolers. It's a game with puzzles, matching exercises, coloring, etc. It's great -- I had first read about it in one of my parenting magazines and found it at Circuit City.

kijip
12-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Wii Sports (which is included) is fun for Toby. The bowling especially.

Other than that it is all about Mario Party 8, baby. :)

katiesmommy
12-23-2007, 06:31 AM
Wii Sports is great, and we have Super Paper Mario, and we all love that one. DH included.

MelissaTC
12-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Definitely Mario Party 8. We love that and can all play together. We have rented various games through Blockbuster and DS LOVED the Hot Wheels game. It is pretty lame in terms of a racing game for adults but DS thought it was the best game ever. We also liked Wii Playground (dodgeball, teether ball, paper airplanes, slot car racing, etc..). DS loved the dodgeball. DS plays Mario Galaxy with DH and cried last night when they completed the game (first 60 stars). For Christmas, DH bought DS Star Wars Legos for the Wii.

jamsmu
12-23-2007, 01:59 PM
wait!! You can RENT at Blockbuster!? Oh, how I hope someone gives a Blockbuster gift cert. in the pollyana tomorrow night!

Thanks for all the recs. I'm taking notes. Keep 'em coming, please!

MelissaTC
12-23-2007, 03:53 PM
wait!! You can RENT at Blockbuster!? Oh, how I hope someone gives a Blockbuster gift cert. in the pollyana tomorrow night!

They are pricey (fee to rent games is something like $7.95 I think) but we use Blockbuster online and get a free DVD or game rental monthly. We use that coupon for a Wii game. It has allowed us to try out games that we are considering buying so we don't waste $50, ykwim?

wencit
12-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Cooking Mama! :)

deborah_r
12-24-2007, 10:06 AM
The best one we have experienced that 4 year old DS could play well was Ice Age 2. It is a really fun game, and just challenging enough to stay interesting for the adults.

Games he likes but can't really play on his own: Super Monkeyball, uh, uh, well that was supposed to be a list but I can't think of the others and I am not at home to check. Oh, he liked a Spongebob game we rented a few times. Cars was pretty lame, we rented that once. He was really obsessed with Monkeyball for a long time, but he wanted ME to play it. I couldn't stand the sight or sound of it after a while.

youngmommy
12-24-2007, 04:41 PM
We have a number of Wii games, but for DS (4), he has Playground, Carnival Games, and he also plays Wii Sports. I also got him Cosmic Family, which is specifically for preschoolers. It's a game with puzzles, matching exercises, coloring, etc. It's great -- I had first read about it in one of my parenting magazines and found it at Circuit City.

I'm so glad to hear that you like Cosmic Family. I think/hope my FIL is getting that one for DD. Otherwise I'm going to be on the lookout for it.
Any other reviews of this game? Does anyone know where else I might be able to find it? Thanks!!

teddy
12-25-2007, 10:58 PM
I bought this for our family and we opened it today. DD, who was 5 years old in November, really likes it. She can do the EASY level on the various games. It's things like matching, memory, simple addition, copying patterns, etc.. the only thing she can't do is the whack-a-mole because it's too fast for her. DH and I tried the HARD level and it was hard! But fun!! DS, who was 3 in November, liked to watch but really couldn't play.

I will have to find Cosmic Family. Sounds like DD would like that one.

My local library has Wii games you can borrow. DH brought home Barnyard for the kids and they like it although I think they like watching DH play it. And of course the kids love Bowling, Tennis, and Boxing.

SnuggleBuggles
12-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Has anyone tried Game Fly? It's like Netflix for video games. We plan to subscribe when our Wii finally arrives (we have a Game Stop rain check).

My BIL has been using Game Fly for years and highly recommends it.

Beth