PDA

View Full Version : WWYD... strep on a saturday night... and pregnancy

Radosti
12-23-2007, 12:22 AM
OK, so DS and I have the same illness, whatever it is. I thought it was a cold at first. DS acted like it was an ear infection last night, so I took him to the ped this morning. The ped said that it's RSV, did a basic exam, but DS refused to open his mouth to let the DR look at his throat. His left ear was infected, so he was put on Amoxicillin. All good. DS has barely eaten anything today, has been acting tired and cranky, but refused to sleep.

I barely ate anything either, but more than he did obviously. Tonight, my throat started hurting unbearably. I found my little medical light and looked in the mirror. And there they are... strep plaques all over my tonsils. I am very sure that we have strep, not RSV, but the ped missed it due to not being able to look in DS's mouth. Either way, DS is covered with the amoxi.

Now, it's saturday night, I'm in bad shape. I am 15 weeks pregnant. I have a course of amoxi that I got the last time I had strep (may), when we thought my z-pack wasn't working. My dr sent over the prescription for amoxicillin and I picked it up, but my z-pack kicked in that day, so I never touched the amoxi. So, I have the meds that I need and there is no guarantee I'll be able to see a dr until wednesday unless I go to the ER. Should I just take the amoxicillin. I am 98% sure it's strep.

WWYD????

Tondi G
12-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Can you call your OB? Mine always had someone on call on weekends etc. I would just run it by them... make sure they wouldn't rather give you a Zpack instead. If you've taken some Tylenol and it hasn't helped then you are probably right in assuming it is strep.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

~Tondi

Radosti
12-23-2007, 12:33 AM
I was calling my regular dr, not the OB, and I just got a message to go to the ER in case of an emergency. I'll go call my OB now... thanks so much for the idea!!!

deannanb
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Like pp said... I'd call the doctor... your doctor will have someone on call for him/her - they all do. Even on a holiday weekend - and my guess is that the office will be open on Monday - It is better to be safe than sorry -

Radosti
12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I called, left a message with the OB service. The Dr called me back, but even though I was holding the phone the whole time, it never rang. I got a message saying that I can take tylenol, and gargle with salt. Nothing about the amoxi I asked about. I called back to clarify, but haven't heard back again. I looked up more info and it looks like Amoxi is harmless to the baby. So, I finally took one. I don't think I can take the thought of the pain intensifying until monday.