PDA

View Full Version : Lemony Snicket - for a preschooler???

dr mom
12-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Apparently "Lemony Snicket" has a new book out, called "The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming: A Christmas Story." Frankly, I don't consider the other Lemony Snicket books to be preschool-appropriate, and would not want my (three-year-old) DS exposed to them.

I just learned that my childless (and sometimes clueless) sister ordered this book for my DS for Christmas...I haven't had time to get to the bookstore to check it out, but I did look at the reviews on amazon.com and I have some concerns about whether it is age-appropriate. Has anyone actually read it IRL who can give me feedback? I don't want to be the Grinch who confiscates her gift on Christmas morning, but I'd rather have that discussion with her *before* DS opens his present, instead of having to take it away from him afterward, which will definitely result in tears.

Tangential rant: every freakin' year I give my extended family a written list of gift ideas for DS that are developmentally appropriate (and that do not conflict with our family values) and every year DS receives a pile of inappropriate toys that go straight to Goodwill. What part of "no lead paint" do they not understand?! :52:

kcimato
12-23-2007, 09:54 AM
I have the book and I would say that it is not age appropriate for a preschooler.It is a very cute story about a Latke who meets all the Xmas symbols and they explain what they represent. It will be way over a 3 year olds head. That being said, I think it is a great Xmas story and Hanukah story.There is nothing inappropriate in the story it's just not age appropriate.You could in fact read it to your 3 year old but he may not understand it. I would keep the book around in your Xmas (or Hanukah) collections.

emmiem
12-23-2007, 12:28 PM
I bought the book for my 4 and 6 yo and they love the story. I also gave the book to every family in my small town Jewish congregation. It is certainly age appropriate for preschoolers.
Michele

ThreeofUs
12-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a mediating view. While most Lemony Snicket stories are entirely UNsuitable for preschoolers, IMO, this book is just a bit over their heads. It's a good book, and I'm sure your DS would like it later, if not right now.