PDA

View Full Version : Uch! Mold!

rachelh
12-23-2007, 04:02 PM
I just moved to a new apartment about two months ago and we noticed right when we moved in that there was some funky looking "stuff" in my clothes closet. We had a couple of people looked at it and no one seemed too concerned. I had some things in "storage" (ie. garbage bags:0: ) sitting in the closet and finally decided to go thru it. Everything in the bag is sopping wet! I dont know how I didnt realize this before. The bottom of the closet wall is covered in mold and who knows what else!! I am so nauseous! I will call the management company tomorrow but I know they will just dismiss it as nothing and repaint the wall. Uch!
My stomach literally is hurting - I dont know if its from the smell or just the thought of it...and my clothes...I probably need to wash/dryclean everything in the closet.

tylersmama
12-23-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't know a ton about mold, but I do know that it's a major health hazard, so do NOT let your management company blow you off. They need to either fix the situation immediately, or find you an acceptable apartment that is mold free. You definitely need to clean everything that's come in contact with it, with bleach if you can. I don't even know that I would wait until tomorrow to call about it, I would think that it would qualify as an emergency (whether the management company agrees with you or not).

Hugs, mama. That really stinks!

vludmilla
12-23-2007, 06:43 PM
ITA with the previous poster. If they blow you off, I'd start doing some Internet research about the laws on such things in NY. Also, I think proper clean up of mold is necessary or you risk a recurrence of the mold problem. I also think it is important for the management to try to understand the cause of the problem since if that is ongoing, you are going to continue to get the mold.
Best of luck...I hope it works out!

thomma
12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
A good friend just spent 10 grand getting rid of the mold in her house. Don't let them blow you off...it's serious. There are companies that specialize in mold removal. It's a pain and is often more than what you can see (in the walls, etc).

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

rachelh
12-23-2007, 09:10 PM
There is no way I am letting them blow me off! This is definitely a serious issue! The "good" news is this closet backs my shower so I would assume thats where its coming from -leaking pipe maybe?? They will definitely have to come and break down the wall in there. With the holidays and all I am kind of nervous they will try and let this go till after New Years. FYI - this apartment was completely gutted and redone before we moved in.

I finally got everything out of there. I totally dont know how I didnt see it before but I guess with all the clothes I have cramped in there...My concern in the clothing that was in there. I threw a few things away completely - they were sopping wet and smelled. The question is for the things that were only slightly wet (but smelled) Is it enough just to throw them in the wash?? I literally took out everything that is machine washable and have mounds of things to wash.

Oh and I am feeling kinda funky but I am sure its psychological.

vludmilla
12-23-2007, 09:26 PM
If you can wash it with hot water that would help. Hot water and a hot dryer (if practical) kills lots of things. I would think it would kill the mold too.