PDA

View Full Version : Asking for gas money??

Globetrotter
12-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Twice this year I've been stopped and asked for gas money. The first time it was the Lowes parking lot and this lady had her kid (?) in the back and another man in front. She said they were visiting their sick grandma in a town 45 minutes away but ran out of money so could I spare some for gas. They were driving an SUV. Now, if it was a TRUE request I would be okay with it, but I asked her how come they didn't have a credit card. I mean, really, doesn't everyone carry them around nowadays, assuming they aren't in major debt or something??? There was a man next to her, and he just kept quiet. After that they left me alone. I felt a little bad thinking what IF it was for real, especially with the kid in back.

Yesterday I was at a gas station and this idiot was practically accosting people asking for gas money. He said they ran out of gas and his car was right there at the pump and could I spare some money. He saw I was skeptical so he said he wouldn't use it for booze (not that I had thought of that!). Then the idiot started hitting on me - EEEWWWWWW. I finally gave him $1 :) to get rid of him, especially after the previous guy in front of me gave him some money.

I don't know what to think of all this. Is this a common scam or was I being a Scrooge? I can't stand the thought of being duped, but how do you know when it's for real?? I've had these sorts of things happen in previous years, not related to gas though.

Kris

dotgirl
12-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Honestly, I never give people money. For one, I rarely have cash, and for two, in the city where I live (Seattle), there are so many assistance places that I'm always certain they're just scamming me.

ellies mom
12-24-2007, 02:07 PM
You don't know and that's what makes it so hard. You get so used to the guy outside the ATM machine asking for money because he is hungry but then turning down the person who offers to buy him dinner at the restaurant next store rather than handing over cash or the guy you see every week out side the bar asking for money for a bus ticket to get his family home. But then, there is the guy who asks for money for gas and you begrudgingly hand him a dollar only to see him a few minutes later walking back to his car with a can of gas. And then you get angry because you get so jaded by the people who will say anything to get cash that you don't help the people that are telling truth as much as you would have.

As for not having credit cards, I don't carry one and the way our bank accounts are set up, I may not have much in the account the bank card I carry is linked to, so I can see you first example. In your second, I might have gone in and put a $1-2 directly on the pump if I wanted to be sure about where it was going. If he didn't want you to do that, then your question is answered.

vludmilla
12-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I'm with the previous poster, for the most part. I don't usually have much cash and so I don't give money. I would most certainly not give "gas" money, especially when one is driving a gas guzzler. If I ever get the sense that it is a sincere emergency, I would give money, however, usually I've found myself doubtful and I've trusted that sense.

mytwosons
12-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

I recently had this happen to me and thought the guy was 100% sincere. I've since seen him around pulling the same sad story. Live and learn.:(

Fairy
12-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Very common scam. I've run into this alot having worked in information security. This is in no way computer-related, but scams of various kinds become part of your radar when you work information security.

I almost never give anyone on the street money, homeless of otherwise. 99 times out of 100, they're scams or going to use it for alcohol/drugs. However, there are those times that I'm just not sure and are just in a quandary what to do. There are times that if there's a homeless person nearby where I'm already going, like McD's, I'll come out with a hamburger and coffee for them. I do that alot. That costs me not even two bucks, I give the food to the person for them to EAT, and I feel better knowing that if they're truly hungry, they're eating, and if they're not, I only wasted two bucks that won't be going up their nose.

The ones that really really get me are the ones that are genuinely homeless and freezing and asking for no money at all, they're just sitting on a corner with their shopping cart full of stuff, bundled up, and facing the building, not even engaging anyone. Those are the ones I would definitely give money to, but they're not even approachable alot of the time.

There were two times I did give a gas station scammer money, and that was cuz they were very aggressive and scared the crap out of me. I felt in danger and gave them money. It was practically theft.

Anyway, yes, this happens. Join the ranks of those who've wondered the same as you.

-- Fairy

spunkybaby
12-24-2007, 07:29 PM
okay--I have to admit that I've actually asked people for gas money at the gas station! This happened once on my way to church (30 min. from our house). DH was sick, so it was just me and DD1 in the minivan. I got on the freeway, glanced at the fuel gauge and was shocked by how close to empty I was. That's when I realized I had forgotten my purse with my wallet and cell phone, and of course, I had left the stroller behind, and DD1 couldn't walk yet. So if we broke down somewhere, I'd be stuck because I couldn't carry her very far.

I was on a stretch of freeway with very few exits/gas stations. When I exited the freeway (praying all the way that I had enough gas), I pulled into the first gas station and searched my car for cash. No luck.

Then I asked a woman who was filling up her car if I could borrow a few dollars. I told her my situation and that I'd pay her back (asked for her address so I could mail the $ to her). She looked suspicious and refused to give me her address (probably was afraid I was psycho), but she gave me $3. I thanked her profusely, put a gallon or two in my car, made it to church, and then asked my sister for $ so I could fill up after church to go home.

Needless to say, after that, DH & I started stashing a $20 in our car just in case.

Just wanted to let you know that sometimes the sob story is true. I was so thankful to the woman who gave me $3.

Mom to a spunky preschooler (3/04) and a spunky toddler (12/06)

kijip
12-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Working in the line of work I do, I have a seriously sensitive bull **** meter, combined with a acute desire to help if it is needed. I am sure I don't always make the right choice, but I am pretty darn good at weeding out the scammers at work and on the sidewalk. At my charity I have a number of ways to help people in emergency situations, mainly with food vouchers. Since people know this, I get a lot of visitors.

I rarely give money to panhandlers. Like Fairy, I do give food from time to time. I also will give people specific information on places and people to contact for help, something that I only really know because of my job.

My mother was asked for gas money by a lady to get her baby home from the doctor one time and the lady gave her a hug and stole her debit card right out her pocket. It is those people, stealing from a well meaning older woman like my mom (who incidentally DOES NOT have a lot of money to spare- she is on disability), who force us all to be extra suspicious.

JoyNChrist
12-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't give cash, ever. And my charity meter is only $5 if it's a random person asking for money and I don't actually know the situation (for example, if you're asking for cash to buy food, I'll buy you a sandwich and a bag of chips...if you're asking for gas money, I'll put $5 on the pump).

That way, I'm not supporting a scam or a drug habit. And if they really didn't need the cash, I'm only out $5 or less. I figure karma will make that up to me eventually.

It's sad that we have to be so skeptical, but that's the reality these days.

SnuggleBuggles
12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I treat it all as a scam and never give to people asking for money. I like the idea of putting $ on the pump if you are really on the fence of believing them.

Beth

daniele_ut
12-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I generally don't give money to anyone asking, unless it's someone getting on the bus who is short some change to pay or in line in a store who is short some change as they are paying. Of course, I don't live in NYC anymore, so I don't take the bus often here.

I've worked in the same downtown location in my city for almost 4 years now and the same 2 women have worked the same 2 spots and have every single day for the entire time. It bugs me that I get the same sad spiel from one of them EVERY day. I don't carry cash or a purse around as I go from building to building at my company's campus, so it isn't lying when I say I don't have any cash, but I wouldn't give her any if I did. By now, SHE ought to recognize me since she approaches me every time I pass her, sometimes several times a day, telling me she is stranded and needs some cash. I know she makes a quite a bit of money there, particularly from unsuspecting tourists.

I've been confronted a bunch of times in the Wal-Mart parking lot by people asking for gas money and I never give them anything. I'm usually there with my DS and I don't want anybody that near us.

DH tends to want to give to everyone he sees, but he didn't grow up around NYC like I did.

Kungjo
12-26-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm torn. I think that it's mostly a scam, but I'm not sure what to do because I'm sure that there are people out there who really do need the help. Sigh! I htink that I would go on a case by case basis.

Globetrotter
12-29-2007, 07:06 PM
At least I'm not the only one! I still feel a little bad about the first case, but after reading your posts I'm thinking it was probably a scam!

Kris