PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me lately??

Tammy
12-26-2007, 01:44 PM
Feeling blue, short on patience, at my wit's end with everyone except dd. I haven't mentioned this to anyone yet cause I'm wondering why I'm feeling like this. Don't know if it could be related to weaning my dd one month ago (she's 14 mo old now). Usually I'm positive, happy, and just take things as they come. Lately, it doesn't take hardly anything to make me tear up and cry, and I'm snappy with dh, and can hardly stand to be around my no common sense parents at all (and I do mean at all!). I have absolutely no time to myself- what time I do have is spent getting dd's food/bottles ready for the next day. DH is barely any help at all around the house, or with dd (unless he watches her while I shower or plays with her a little), but that's it. I work FT and am rushed all the time, not matter how organized I try to be. (Maybe I should have put this in the complain post section??) I started my new birth control pills one week ago, but they never bothered me before. Regardless, usually I just brush off something and don't sweat it- but stuff is really getting to me. And I've noticed some mood swings too- really happy one minute and then something is pissing me off soon after.
Has anyone else had this? What did you do- wait it out?
Thanks- sometimes it's easier to ask all of you this stuff than it is my family or friends that sometimes don't understand.

vludmilla
12-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow. You described yourself as very busy! Of course you're moody sometimes. I think the hormone changes with weaning and starting bc can wreak havoc on our emotional states as well. Cut yourself some slack :) You are a busy woman trying to do it all! If you don't start to feel more like yourself in a couple of weeks, talk to your doctor about it but in the meantime maybe ask your husband to help you out. Maybe he can make some bottles in advance or feed the baby at a set time each day or babysit while you go out and meet a friend for lunch or go to the library by yourself (sweet quiet and solitude) or get your nails done...
HTH

rachelh
12-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Tammy, I totally feel for you! I was also extremely irritable, no patience for anyone or anything, would cry for literally no reason - I was really not a normal person. I really think the reason was because I was so busy and literally did not have a second for myself. I, like you, was working full time, DD was at a sitter all day - and I mean all day - we would both be out of the house from 8 AM until 8 M.

I stopped working - not by choice (my company was going through some bad times and was forced to do some major layoffs) although I wasnnt really enjoying not being with DD at all and literally never being home I couldnt really afford to stop working so I am definitely not recomending that to you although it did calm me alot!

My advice to you is-

1) you must impress upon your husband that you need his help with the baby, bedtime, cleaning - you cannot do it all yourself! Really sit down with him and tell him that you appreciate everything he does but you really feel like you are spreading yourself too thin. Give him specific things to do and you might have to tell him to do the same things every night but its worth it. I also found that generally it was easier to get him to help out when we did things together (ie i washed the dishes while he dried them and put them away.) Once he gets the hang of it you might even be able to pull "Honey, Im really tired tonight- had a really hard day at work can you take care of XYZ tonight." My husband really started helping out alot and it really saved my sanity at times.

2) dont be crazy about bedtime, cooking dinner...this kept me somewhat sane. Whenever bedtime happened it happened, you literally cannot walk in the door and immediately start cooking, cleaning, bedtime...relax on the couch for a bit, watch a quick TV show, take a bubble bath for a 20 min.

I am sure the birth control and weaning isnt helping the situation either...

Good Luck!

Rachel

hillview
12-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Oh wow a lot going on -- HUGS!

For me ending BF was REALLY hard and emotional. I don't know about the BCP but just the BF thing with the holidays is traumatic I'd say. So maybe try to get a little extra sleep and pamper yourself a little. I'd say if you aren't feeling better next week maybe see if you can talk to your doc about the mood swings and BCP ...

HUGS and hope you feel more like your old self soon!
/hillary

MommyAllison
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I have been feeling a lot like that this pregnancy, especially the first trimester. I'm not saying you're pregnant ;) just that I bet the hormones from weaning and then starting BCPs have a lot to do with how you're feeling. I hope things get back to normal for you quickly!

MamaKath
12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Both times I weaned I went through some moodiness and depression that was more extreme than it had been. I weaned in spring/summer because I knew that the seasons also set my moods a bit. The pill sets me off a bit also. I would talk to the doctor about the moodiness especially staarting a new bcp. Talk to dh too. Being a busy mom and wife, working full time, dealing with holidays and new year celebration can play with anyone. Take some time for yourself too. And hang in there!!!
(((Hugs)))
Kath

gatorsmom
12-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Could it be the weather too? I certainly think your general busy-ness has a LOT to do with it- stock pile on the holiday stress and you've reached your limit. But if the weather has been crappy near you like it has in a lot of the country, that might have something to do with it too.

Just something to think about. I think a day out on your own would help you a lot. Hope you are feeling better soon.

maestramommy
12-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I had been feeling like this for a whole week leading up to Christmas Day. Between the girls' routine being derailed with all the traveling, feeling like keeping their stuff together was getting harder everytime we went out, having to get 3 people ready by myself every day, and oh, getting almost no sleep at all each night, I was getting postal. Going shopping with MIL made me crazy, which it doesn't usually do, the smallest setbacks sent me into a fuming rage, and I just wasn't enjoying the girls at all, even though they have been so much fun this trip.

I finally had a talk with Dh about what I needed from him in terms of communication and help with the girls, I went running, something I haven't done in over a week, and NEED to feel functional, and did manage to get the girls in bed at their regular time instead of an hour or more late. The sleeping thing is still a disaster, but at least I feel calmer during the day and not totally wound up.

BIG HUGS. It sounds like you're going through a lot of changes, physical and emotional. Coming on top of a stressful holiday season and being as busy as you are, it's no wonder you're feeling so blue.

daisymommy
12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
I weaned Hannah about 2-3 months ago, and this is exactly how I've been feeling! I really think it's the hormones, coupled with the blah winter weather. I hate how I've been feeling. I was going to make an appointment with the Dr. and get some meds, but I'm starting to feel a little better now, so I think I'll wait. I read that your hormones can be wacky from weaning for a good 3 months, and I think it's been about that long at this point.

Hang in there! Hopefully it will get better with time, and maybe see your Dr. as well.

ThreeofUs
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way! Sounds like you have a lot going on right now.

When I weaned DS, I went through feeling much like you describe - and we weaned at the start of summer, so I didn't have winter or holiday blues to add to the mix. I also had about a week and a half of really severe migraines. I had no idea hormonal changes could take such varied and awful form (and that's probably a good thing, or DS might still be nursing!)

Here's hoping you'll feel better soon!