PDA

View Full Version : Where do I begin? Nursery related

tmonroe
12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
I have the great baby bargains book and it has been so helpful but it is time to start picking out a crib and I am so nervous. Can any moms with babies 6 months and up share any experiences with cribs?

vludmilla
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
What do you want to know? I have a medium to expensive crib ($600 hardwood--can't remember the brand right now). It's been fine but frankly I don't think I would have spent as much if it wasn't a gift from my mother who really wanted it to be "special". I don't have a drop side but my DH and I are tall (I'm almost 6 feet tall) so I wasn't worried about needing it.
I got hardwood b/c I thought it might prevent damage from occasional banging or biting as pine can look pretty ragged if abused.
Anyway, not sure if this really helps so let us know what you want to know about cribs.
-Victoria

tmonroe
12-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Thanks so much. Well, we're specifically looking for cribs that preferably won't cost over $500-$600 dollars and we like the push and drop method. We want something that is nice to look at but most importantly really safe. The saleswoman at the baby furniture store said all the furniture is safe but I know from the multiple simplicity recalls that is not the case. Just wondering if there are any specific questions we need to be asking other than the obvious ones. Thanks again for replying.

Tondi G
12-27-2007, 11:54 PM
Well I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and used my Pali Sabrina model crib extensively. I (as in me, the mommy) climbed in the crib with my first born many nights... he was a difficult sleeper... but it supported my weight with no problems. It was nice and sturdy, went through 2 kids and came out looking the same way it did the day we bought it. I used Pottery Barn Crib bumpers and sheets. I believe our Mattress is a Colgate Brand. It has the drawer on the bottom which was great for storing additional crib sheets, mattress pads and receiving blankets. It has a single drop side which worked perfectly for us... knee push.... once I got the hang of it I could do it with a baby in my arms. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pali crib again. Currently the crib is being used by some friends of ours for their newest addition!

Good Luck shopping. I know I worried so much about the crib and when we finally made a decision I was so relieved. I believe we got ours on sale at a local baby store for something like 350 or 400 bucks. All together with the mattress it was maybe 500 or 550 (but this was 7 years ago!). Hope this helps you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I don't have specific advice as my crib is 5.5yo. It is a $300 Baby Italia from BRU for what it's worth though. :)

I am 5'2" and aside for sheet change convenience I found the drop side to be unnecessary. We didn't use it. New babies the mattress is high thus easy to reach baby. When baby gets bigger and you drop the mattress baby is probably sitting up which makes getting them out is easy (getting them in is fine too- you just figure it out). My dh thinks the drop side makes the crib less sturdy. I just thought that for our crib in operation the drop side wasn't that helpful b/c when you latch it back in place it jostles the crib just enough that it could wake the baby up. Just something to consider so you don't rule out stationary sided cribs in your searches.

I think that you are just going to have to pick any crib and cross your fingers on the recall thing. Expensive cribs, chep cribs...they have almost all had recalls. They are all supposed to meet safety standards. The big thing is slat spacing and just how you feel about the sturdiness of the unit and materials.

Final thought...don't stress much about the crib. I have a 4wo and he has yet to sleep in his crib. If you don't have it before the baby arrives it probably won't be a big deal as most parents go with something like a bassinet, co-sleeper or just co-sleep. Just wanted to give you a bit of wiggle room on your decision making. I know that on my due date board there are very few (if any) babies sleeping in their cribs yet. Beautiful nurseries collecting dust. Of course, your mileage may vary. :) We didn't have a crib when ds1 was born but went out to buy one when he was 3 weeks old and he slept in it from then on.

Good luck and have fun shopping!!

Beth

tmonroe
12-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Well I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and used my Pali Sabrina model crib extensively. I (as in me, the mommy) climbed in the crib with my first born many nights... he was a difficult sleeper... but it supported my weight with no problems. It was nice and sturdy, went through 2 kids and came out looking the same way it did the day we bought it. I used Pottery Barn Crib bumpers and sheets. I believe our Mattress is a Colgate Brand. It has the drawer on the bottom which was great for storing additional crib sheets, mattress pads and receiving blankets. It has a single drop side which worked perfectly for us... knee push.... once I got the hang of it I could do it with a baby in my arms. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Pali crib again. Currently the crib is being used by some friends of ours for their newest addition!

Good Luck shopping. I know I worried so much about the crib and when we finally made a decision I was so relieved. I believe we got ours on sale at a local baby store for something like 350 or 400 bucks. All together with the mattress it was maybe 500 or 550 (but this was 7 years ago!). Hope this helps you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

Thanks! I will check out the Pali brand. DH and I went to a Bellini store yesterday. Gorgeous furniture but way, way out of our price range. Thanks for the info. This board is my new best friend :)

tmonroe
12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't have specific advice as my crib is 5.5yo. It is a $300 Baby Italia from BRU for what it's worth though. :)

I am 5'2" and aside for sheet change convenience I found the drop side to be unnecessary. We didn't use it. New babies the mattress is high thus easy to reach baby. When baby gets bigger and you drop the mattress baby is probably sitting up which makes getting them out is easy (getting them in is fine too- you just figure it out). My dh thinks the drop side makes the crib less sturdy. I just thought that for our crib in operation the drop side wasn't that helpful b/c when you latch it back in place it jostles the crib just enough that it could wake the baby up. Just something to consider so you don't rule out stationary sided cribs in your searches.

I think that you are just going to have to pick any crib and cross your fingers on the recall thing. Expensive cribs, chep cribs...they have almost all had recalls. They are all supposed to meet safety standards. The big thing is slat spacing and just how you feel about the sturdiness of the unit and materials.

Final thought...don't stress much about the crib. I have a 4wo and he has yet to sleep in his crib. If you don't have it before the baby arrives it probably won't be a big deal as most parents go with something like a bassinet, co-sleeper or just co-sleep. Just wanted to give you a bit of wiggle room on your decision making. I know that on my due date board there are very few (if any) babies sleeping in their cribs yet. Beautiful nurseries collecting dust. Of course, your mileage may vary. :) We didn't have a crib when ds1 was born but went out to buy one when he was 3 weeks old and he slept in it from then on.

Good luck and have fun shopping!!

Beth

Thanks Beth. We're getting an Arms reach for the first few months. I told DH we need to just find a crib and get it over with so I can put my mind at ease about other things.Even though I have almost 4 months to go I will relax more if it's just done. You and everyone else has given great advice. Thank you!