PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had an ectopic pregnancy?

jerseygirl07067
12-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I just found out today that I did. Luckily, I am early, only 5 weeks and 1 day, and tomorrow I'm supposed to get the first methotrexate injection.

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences anyone may have had with this.

I had some spotting that started a few days ago and I had the ultrasound today, which confirmed a left ectopic pregnancy. Ironically, I had a blocked fallopian tube on the same side that was successfully reopened, so I imagine that alone put me at a higher risk for an EP on that side.

I'm sad, but actually now more relieved than anything, since things "didn't seem right" this time around, and it was driving me nuts. Now at least I know, can get treated, and hopefully try again when I am cleared. :)

Marcy

Sammy 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05

Marisa6826
12-27-2007, 01:40 AM
Haven't BTDT, but glad that you've caught it early and that you'll be OK. Sorry that things didn't go as planned (if that is indeed what you wanted).

Hugs

-m

jerseygirl07067
12-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks Marisa. :)

Marcy

Sammy 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05

elizabethkott
12-28-2007, 07:39 PM
No BTDT, but some (((((hugs))))) and some sticky vibes for the future.

icunurse
12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I've had two, both treated successfuly with methotrexate (and allegedly there was never any problems with my tubes!). I only needed one injection each time and then went every few days or so for labs to check to make sure my hcg was declining and liver enzyme levels (I guess it can have some effect on some people even though it is such a small amount and typically one-time dose). If I remember correctly, you should also steer clear of your prenatal vitamins or any vitamins for a while, as folic acid can interfere with the ability of the methotrexate to work.

I didn't experience any physical pain more than I do during a period. My RE told me that you may or may not see more clotting and with one I did, the other I didn't. I think my hcg was back down to normal within 1-2 weeks.

I'm really sorry that you're going through this. Hope I was able to help a little.

elephantmeg
12-28-2007, 07:54 PM
hugs to you.

elektra
12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I have had 2 ectopics. The first one was really painful, and I had severe internal bleeding and required surgery. The pain was worse than childbirth actually.
The second one was just more sad as I also had to get a methotrexate shot. The idea of the shot just really got me down. And it was so nerve racking since every day I was so worried I would have that same physical pain as with the first ectopic. And then I was also worried I may never be able to have a full term pregnancy.
Luckily the 3rd time was the charm for me, and everything went fine with my pregnancy for DD.
So it was a really big bummer but I bounced back pretty quickly, so hopefully you do too.
Hugs to you.

jerseygirl07067
12-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks for your hugs everyone. Icunurse and elektra, thanks for sharing your experiences. I have to go back on day 4 to get my levels checked and again on day 7 when they will also do an ultrasound and another beta hcg level. I'm hoping I only need the one injection, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm very disappointed since I was told I already will have to wait another 3 months before I try again, and even longer if I need a second injection. Sigh...But I guess it could be worse. I'd really like to have another child and it has been quite a challenge thus far. What's ironic about this is that I had laparascopic surgery two months ago because it had taken me over a year this time. My RE found that I had one blocked tube and the other tube was encased in scar tissue from the c-sections I had previously. So she cauterized the scar tissue on the one side, and opened up the tube on the other. The tube that was opened up was the one where I had the ectopic. Bleh. I realize that may have put me at higher risk too.

So hopefully in a few months we can try again. :)

Thanks for your responses everyone,
Marcy

Sammy 12/22/03
Julia 4/19/05