PDA

View Full Version : V-Smile Baby - Keep or Return?

JoyNChrist
12-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I posted about this a while back, but now I can't find that thread.

Anyway, MIL bought DS (9 months) a V-Smile Baby and 3 game cartridges (a Baby Einstein one, a Noah's Ark one, and something else). I didn't ask for this toy (since I'm not sure I'm crazy about the whole video games for babies thing), but I'm usually okay with people buying gifts I didn't ask for. And I realize that this wasn't cheap, and I do appreciate the thought.

But I'm wondering if any of you have this and what you think of it? Something about it just doesn't sit right with me. But on the other hand, I wonder if DS would enjoy it. He does like his Signing Times DVDs that I let him watch sometimes, and he's very engaged with them and tries to participate. And the cartridge that came with the system says it teaches signs, so maybe he would like that part of it.

I just don't know...I know a lot of mamas here are okay with their older children playing with the Leapster-type games, since they're educational. So part of me think this is the same thing. But on the other hand, part of me feels weird propping my baby up in front of the TV with a game system. Just seems a little odd...

So anyway, I said all that to say I'd appreciate your opinions (especially if you have this system). Would you keep it or return it?

ETA - If I do keep it, I would of course always sit with DS and play with him while he was using it...no propping him in front of the TV while I played on the computer or anything like that.

cvanbrunt
12-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm sure folks will disagree, but I'd return it. Like you, putting a 9 month old in front of a TV just doesn't sit well with me. There's good data to suggest these things aren't helpful for development. Just so you know where I"m coming from, we didn't let DD#1 sit in front of any type of screen until she was 2yo.

vludmilla
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
I agree with the PP. My ped is VERY much against any t.v. for babies or young children for the matter. Although I've read the research that suggests t.v. viewing could be harmful to babies, I'm not convinced that a very occasional use of t.v. would be harmful. In other words, I'd let DD watch a little bit of t.v. at someone else's house if it was already on and the other children were watching it. That said, one of my problems with keeping the V Smile would be keeping such an expensive toy for only occasional use. Perhaps the money could be put to better use with other toys that you wouldn't feel uncomfortable letting DS use?

caleymama
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
My vote would be to return it, for the reasons you & PP have explained.

My girls do watch some TV and play some computer games, but we haven't ventured into "game systems" yet and don't plan to for a while.

MMMommy
12-27-2007, 02:39 PM
With my girls, the whole video game/Leapster (more specifically, My First Leappad and Littletouch Leappad) weren't hits at all and haven't been hits. I think now that DD2 will be almost 4 (in January), she will be old enough to understand and appreciate the Leapster. But before that, I don't think the game systems designed for babies and under age 2 or 3 really do much. DD1 and DD2 didn't care about the My First Leappad or Littletouch Leappads at all. Those were complete misses for them. I personally would return the system. I don't think it will be much use for a child that young.

lisams
12-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I think I'd return it. Maybe exchange it for a cool set of blocks or something that will have longer play value? I know I can't imagine my 10 month old sitting for very long to really get its value worth. He'd rather be of throwing something or emptying out the book basket for the 100th time, lol! TV just doesn't hold his interest for more than 10 minutes, which is good I suppose (until I'm trying to make dinner and really could use the TV as a helper!!)

megulis
12-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Hm... I have had negative reactions for posting on a hot topic like this. I feel we stimulate our babies too much. They learn so much from just observing the world. If we put something exciting in front of them, would they always crave that excitement and not be happy with what is in front of them?

kijip
12-28-2007, 01:57 AM
We got the regular VSmile last year as a gift and ended up donating it. I felt that at the time he was too young and it was also of limited value in terms of education and game quality. I am not opposed to video games and the like for kids at all (he occasionally now plays on our Wii and he has his own computer), I just think that it is good to wait and for it to be a moderate amount. Baby video stuff kinda creeps me out. Seems like it gets started really young and maybe replaces the other activities that kids learn from at that age/stage. Video games and the like started for us at age 4 and they are not a daily activity. We decided against the Leapster since he can use his computer or the Wii at home, did not really want something portable.

Marisa6826
12-28-2007, 02:33 AM
I think Avery's too little for it. Get him some simple peek-a-blocks or something similar.

Sophie only *just* got the Leapster and she's 5. Mia got the Clickstart and she's not even sure what to do with it, and she's 3, though we got it, because they're starting the computer at school and we don't have a regular keyboard and mouse for her here at home to play with.

-m

JBaxter
12-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Im a return it vote also. Nathan has a L-Max that he got at almost 4 and enjoys that but he really didnt watch any TV until he was 2yrs old. I couldnt imagine a 9mo old sitting in front of the TV.

Tondi G
12-28-2007, 06:06 PM
I'd return it. My older DS got a Vsmile when he was 3 maybe and even then he still needed help with it. He got the Leapster when he was 3.5 or 4 and did alright with it. I think before maybe age 4 they can't really play things like that themselves. The only reason he got anything video game inspired was that his Daddy has an Xbox and he liked watching Daddy play. We figured he might as well get some kind of educational value out of playing video games!

There are so many other things you can buy for him or get a Credit and put it towards something he might like/need in a few months!