PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here travel to to Seoul, S. Korea?

BillK
12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Just looking for some tips on traveling to Seoul, S. Korea if anyone here has done it.

It's looking likely that I will be traveling alone to S. Korea to pick up our son while my wife stays at home with Zach.

I think it will be in the next month or so and right now I'm trying to work out the logistics of flight plans to Seoul for me and back with an 10-11 month old in tow.

Obviously I'll be posting on our Korean adoption forums with lots of questions - but I'd also like some opinions of folks that have simply been traveled to Seoul for non-adoption related reasons - I anticipate being there 5-7 days and would like to see as much as possible so I can share it with our son once he's old enough.

Thanks!

JoyNChrist
12-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Hi Bill!

A good friend of mine from college just got back from doing a 2-month teaching internship in Seoul. I sent him an e-mail to see if he has any tips or info that might help you. I'll post when I hear from him.

HTH!

wellyes
12-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Bill,
I've never been, but my husband took a business trip to Seoul. He tells me that, believe it or not, the one "must see" is the DMZ. It's just a short distance from Seoul. There is an guided tour/observation area (designed for tourists) that provides fascinating insight about Korea past & present. He also recommends studying up on Korea cuisine before you go so you can get a good range of culinary experiences.... the Korean barbecues are world-famous.

Have a good trip & CONGRATULATIONS!

brittone2
12-28-2007, 10:46 AM
My DH has a coworker who is engaged to a woman from South Korea. I've met her several times. If you are interested, I might be able to put you in email contact with her? Her family still lives in S. Korea.

BillK
12-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Thank you both - there's really no need for me to be bothering friends or acquaintances of yours with my questions though. There's a wealth of info on the Korean Adoption forums my wife and I post on. I was just looking for any advice from the folks here on these forums could offer if they've been there. Different perspective and all that kinda stuff. :)

JustMe
12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
I also have not btdt, but just wanted to wish you a wonderful journey!

brittone2
12-28-2007, 02:10 PM
You both must be so excited. I don't think I'd be able to sleep! The anticipation of meeting your little guy must be overwhelming!!

BillK
12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Yea it is a bit overwhelming and also frustrating that the paperwork takes so long. Every week that goes by is yet another week he's bonding more to his foster family and not us - so it is a bit maddening if we think about it too much.

I'll also admit I'm kind of apprehensive about traveling to Seoul alone. I've been to a lot of places in the US solo - as well as a few Caribbean locations alone - but never THAT far from home by myself. :)

DrSally
01-01-2008, 05:37 PM
Congrats and good luck! I'm adopted from Seoul... I'm sure you'll get lots of great info from the adoptive parent's groups. I saw an Anthony Bourdain--No Reservations show on South Korea. The food looked very interesting to say the least!

Momof3Labs
01-01-2008, 06:10 PM
How exciting that you are approaching your big day with your new addition!!

My brother travels to South Korea regularly for business (he is a patent attorney) and a father to a 2yo girl, and I'm sure that he'd be happy to help with any advice/tips that you need - including good places to eat and things worth seeing while there!