PDA

View Full Version : Bassinet or co-sleeper

slaggyc
12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Hi all! I'm a new mom to be, due with my first in April. I've been browsing these boards daily trying to learn as much as I can. Plus, being on bedrest, I'm probably on here more than I should be!

So, I've been trying to begin setting up my registry, and I can't decide whether to go with a bassinet or co-sleeper. Honestly, I actually don't really know what a co-sleeper is. I'm assuming it goes by our bed and makes it easy to access the baby? Can it also be rolled out into other rooms? I would greatly appreciate any advice!

lizceppos
12-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I am a first time mom to be too - due in two months- and have been really confused with all the choices and options out there. I cannot seem to be able to make a decision about the bassinet! I finally registered for an Eddie Bauer bassinet and the Graco pack and play with bassinet - I have a small three level house and feel like I should have the EB bassinet in the bedroom and the pack and play downstairs in the living area. I am interested to see all the response posts to your question - I still have time to change my mind on what I have chosen so far!

Pennylane
12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
I have used both. If you are planning on breast feeding and want the baby in your room a co-sleeper is great. It is so nice and roomy and I loved turning over and having the baby right beside me. The down side is it is expensive and not easy to move. If you buy it, plan on leaving it in one place. The bassinets are nice and cost less, easier to move from place to place too.

I have three children and never found the need for a pack and play. If the baby needed changing and we were not upstairs at a changing table, I just put down a blanket. As far as sleeping goes, I always made a little "nest" in my boppy and the baby slept great there. Once the baby was a little older, if they weren't sleeping in the swing or bouncy seat, they were in their crib or bassinet.

Good luck !
Ann

vludmilla
12-28-2007, 02:07 AM
I agree with the PP about the playpen. We never needed it and when we borrowed one briefly, DD HATED it. So, it might make sense to wait and see if you'll be one of the people who really use it b/c some don't.

As for the bassinet/co-sleeper. We used the mini cosleeper and LOVED it. I don't have a bassinet to compare it to but things I loved about the mini cosleeper were:
*pockets on the sides for diapers, mini flashlight (to see how she was in the middle of the night, keep spare paci's, etcetera)
*brought DD almost up to mattress height whereas bassinets are usually lower

I placed the mini cosleeper on the side of the bed that is close to the bedroom wall so it wasn't really in the way for walking but it did make it tougher to get out of bed on that side. Despite this, I think it was more convenient than a bassinet which would have required me to get out of bed to check on DD.

HTH