PDA

View Full Version : Potty training advice wanted for me and my 3 year old

inmypjs
12-27-2007, 04:19 PM
My son is 3 yrs 1 month old. He is not using the potty at all and resists even sitting on the little potty or toilet most of the time.

On a couple of occasions in the past 1-2 months, he's asked to wear underwear and try the big toilet. The first time, he sat on the toilet every 20 min. or so all morning long. He seemed excited and would say "Mommy I did it!" but of course he had not. He finally peed on the BR floor just after he got off of the toilet in the late morning. He was so surprised and said "What is that???" It was actually kind of cute :).

The next time, a few weeks later, he wanted to try again, so we did the same thing. He did not go on the toilet and did wet his pants. But he didn't tell me about it - I discovered it when I went to take him to the toilet. He was not bothered by being wet at all.

My thoughts on these experiences are that he doesn't really understand the concept of releasing/holding/going very much, and that he's a busy boy who doesn't want to stop what he's doing.

Today I brought out the little potty and suggested he might sit on while he watched TV or read books. He freaked out and said "no no no", so I stopped. I have really tried not to push at all, but every 2-3 weeks have made a suggestion like this. So I put the potty away in the BR and told him to let me know when he'd like to try again.

He has read a number of potty books and seems to like them. He has also on occasion observed peers using the toilet and that seems to be what leads to him wanting to try. He does not have an older sibling and he is not in regular childcare with older children, although soon he'll be around a 5 year old boy once/week. He also doesn't repond to rewards in the way that I'd hoped. Once or twice we've talked about getting magnets, small prizes, treats, or even a bigger reward when he decides he's ready, and he is not interested.

I guess my question is - is there a point when you stop waiting and you just have to push it? I'm not there yet, but I'm wondering! I feel like this could go on forever...

For anyone else who's trained between ages 3 and 4, I would love to hear your experiences!

SnuggleBuggles
12-28-2007, 11:00 PM
based on my experience I would never recommend pushing it. I would let him know the potty is there and leave it at that. When he is ready everything will fall into place. Before he is ready you may find he is not physically ready (as you already know :)) or that you hit a wall of stubborness. If it comes to a battle of wills there will be no winner- just a lot of really unhappy people!

My ds one day decided he was ready after 1 failed attempt months before and some prompting in the months leading up to it. He was 1 month shy of his 4th b-day. He was done in one day. He has never had an accident. He really just did it on his own time and no pushing was going to get him there.

Some parents do have luck pushing the issue so you have to decide how you think your ds would respond. I was just glad that we had no pressure to get him trained and that his pediatrician said that 4yo for a boy was normal. :) Made me feel better when every kid when knew was pt'ed months before.

GL!

Beth

smkinc
12-30-2007, 01:25 AM
My DS trained at 35 months. Basically he had no interest and then all of the sudden did what your DS did--he wanted to wear underwear and try the potty. Once we made this decision we never went back. Our attitude wasn't 'pushing', but was one of letting him know we were confident that he could do it. He did have several accidents the first week, but once he 'got it' he rarely has had them since. We did offer a 1 sticker for sitting on the potty and 2 stickers for making something in the potty. He was really into trucks at the time and that's the kind of stickers we had. Once he mastered the potty, he no longer felt the need for the stickers (after about 3 weeks).

He WAS ready--he had been dry at night for a couple of months prior and it helped enormously that his DCP was right on board with us--and encouraged us to keep going a few more days without pull-ups/diapers even though we were having 3-4 accidents a day. I think going back to diapers/pull-ups at that point would have sent the message that we didn't think he was capable. When he had an accident we didn't make a big deal out of it, but did have him help us clean it up. (Similarly to if he had spilled milk/water)

I think potty training is just that--a learning experience, as a parent you need to accept accidents as part of the 'process' of learning.

HTH--FWIW, it was way easier than I ever thought it would be, but I think we just struck right and didn't make it a battle, just an expectation--with the understanding that it was something he would have to do, but we were there to support him doing it.

ETA--we made big deal about how big he was wearing underwear, calling grandma, etc--calling relatives and talking about his successes of the day, of course this requires willing participants, but I think it helped reinforce that he was becoming a 'big' boy and we wanted to share that with everyone.