PDA

View Full Version : croup/nasal drainage/not eating

npace19147
12-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Poor DD2 (9 mo.) has been sick for what feels like ages now...DD1 keeps bringing things home from preschool. She had a croupy cough for the last three nights, and last night started a fever. The poor thing is just miserable.

She threw up the tylenol immediately, but is having some luck keeping the motrin down. Earlier today after I got the meds into her she would nurse a bit so at least I felt like she was getting something. Right now, though, even with the meds in her when I recline her to nurse she starts crying and refusing even to try to nurse.

She is completely congested and can't breathe through her nose, which does not help. I thought of ear infection but she's not screaming like she has previously when she had an ear infection.

Not sure what I'm looking for here, I guess mostly some reassurance from other BTDT mamas who have dealt with this, or pointing out if I'm missing something. Thanks!

brittone2
12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Not sure if you've tried this, but if reclining bothers her, can you try having her nurse sitting in your lap? Like sitting up and facing you?

In a pinch, you could also express and feed her with a syringe if you are starting to get worried about the amount of fluid she's getting. Is she still peeing enough?

DS has had croup once a year since right before he turned 1 (he's approaching 4). It isn't fun :(

You could also try something like a momscicle...freeze a little breastmilk in an icecube tray and feed in a mesh feeder. It might taste good if she's feverish and get some extra fluid into her?

Have you tried saline or breastmilk squirted in her nose and then suctioning it out w/ a bulb thingie? That tends to thin it out and make it easier to pull out for us. I know, not easy w/ a 9 month old (a 2 person job probably). Sometimes I've found they'll nurse a bit right after doing that as their nose is a little clearer for a short period of time.

I hope she feels better soon.

Tondi G
12-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Things change and the way they handle sicknesses, EI's etc changes as they get a bit older. If she is unhappy being reclined and feverish I would suspect an Ear Infection. It is much more uncomfortable for them when they lay down/back. Have you tried using some Little Noses Saline drops and the bulb syringe nose sucker thing and then attempt to nurse directly afterwards? It helped when my little guy was sick and couldn't nurse cause his nose was too stuffy!

Another thing you might consider is Similisan. It's a homeopathic ear drop that helps soothe the pain from EI's. It really does work too.

Another thought is... does she like the shower? You could take a warm shower and attempt to hold her and nurse her.... or a warm bath. The steam will help ease the congestion and might make it easier for her to nurse.

Hope her symptoms ease and that she is more comfortable and happy soon. If her symptoms continue, personally I would take her in and let her ped take a look at her ears!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

lisams
12-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Poor thing. With the long cold now becoming a cough w/fever she may have a secondary bacterial infection going on.

Some ideas that might help -
-running a vaporizer in her room
-cutting out all cow dairy in your diet and hers until she's better (it makes the mucous thicker)
-offer to nurse frequently
-offer water as often as she'll take it
-cup your hand (doing it flat handed will only slap and hurt) and thump firmly on her back all around to help break up the junk so it'll be easier for her to cough it up and get it out. This is best done after being in a steamy bathroom for 15 minutes. Expect some nasty sounding coughing fits after doing this, it's actually a good thing if she can cough it up. Learned this trick when DD had pneumonia.

Also, when DS gets ear infections now it is totally different. He's just grumpy, doesn't like nursing or laying down. He doesn't scream like he did when he was younger, just grumpy and clingy. It sounds like she may have an ear infection. Hopefully the Motrin will help her out and she starts feeling better soon. It's so sad to see them sick and miserable.

npace19147
12-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. Forgot to mention that we're away on vacation, about two hours from home, otherwise I would have had her at the peds already.

I've been syringing some pedialyte into her, and have finally made a little progress with hand expressing (b/c no pump here either). Never able to do it before, but I was so engorged I had no choice but to figure it out.

She's had some wet dipes - not soaked, but a little wet, and did a poop. Does a poop count towards hydration?

This is so not fun, we're all miserable. When I talked to our peds at home they said if she still had a fever on Saturday to bring her in. We were supposed to stay through Tuesday, but I think we might head back early tomorrow.

JTsMom
12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I just wanted to (kind of) ditto 2 of the pp's. Try nursing her, while sitting up and facing you while sitting in the bathroom, with the shower running, and the fan off. If you get the bathroom really steamed up, it might clear her out long enough to really nurse well.

Hope she feels better soon!

val01
12-28-2007, 05:04 PM
I don't know if you have access to a drugstore nearby. Vicks Baby Rub works well for my 11 month old DD. I put it on her chest and under her nose.

Valerie

Davids-Coco
12-29-2007, 12:40 AM
We are right there with you right now. Saw the ped today. They said to take them outside into the cool night air (bundled to keep body warm) and the cool air will make it improve. That or drive around with the windows down.

At worst, they offered us steroids to ease the swelling around the vocal cords. And, I am thinking we should have taken it...

brittone2
12-29-2007, 09:08 AM
DS's first bout of croup was this time of year. As the PP said, we used to bundle him up and walk around at night looking at Christmas lights. It worked well. If they get really flared up, you can open windows to let the cool air in the house, or I think Dr. Sears even mentions standing in front of an open freezer door in a pinch.

How is your little one doing? Any better?

npace19147
12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for asking. We went to see a dr during our vacation yesterday. I wasn't very impressed with her but she was concerned enough about hydration and possible RSV that we decided to head back home and take DD2 to CHOP.

They were really great there, evaluated her and decided that there wasn't anything much more to be done. She was dry but not dehydrated, so they decided not to admit her. They sucked out lots of junk and she was more comfortable after that.

Could be RSV, could be adenovirus, but they said they don't test for it b/c the treatment is all the same. Fluids, rest, tylenol/motrin for fever.

She has kept her liquids down since Friday night, so hopefully things are on the upswing now. Thanks for all the advice everyone!