PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fit 4 car seats in a Sienna

annietrux
12-28-2007, 06:08 PM
First, this is one of the best forums I've ever come across, with lots of great information....this is my first post since I've always been able to research an answer.

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with 4 kids and number 5 due in May 2008. I am trying to figure out the seating arrangement. My 9yo needs her own seat. 5yo boy is in a Jane Indy Plus booster (he picked it for the color!!). 3yo girl in Recaro Young Sport. 15mo girl now rear facing in a Evenflow Titan.

I would like to put the 5yo, 3yo and 15mo (she will be 21mos and I predict, about 25lbs.) in the 3rd row seat all forward facing. The new baby will be in the Evenflow rear facing in the 2nd row seat with the 9yo. There won't be enough room in the 3rd row for the 9yo with 2 car seats back there.

So, I need a new car seat for the 21mo that is narrow enough to fit back there so the 5yo has enough room to squeeze his hand between the seats to do the buckle. All the car seats fit (with the Evenflow) but there is not much room for him to do the buckle. So the new seat would have to be no wider than the Evenflow.

Or, can I get some sort of seat belt extender (6 inches or so) that he will be able to reach?

Ideally, I would keep the 21mo rear facing, but I don't see how I can do that and keep her accessible so I can buckle her up. I might be able to put her rear facing in the 3rd row, on the driver's side....it would just take moving the 2nd row seat to get her in and out.

Any advice out there? I need to make this work because I can't buy a big van. Thanks in advance!

Joolsplus2
12-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi and welcome! I hope we can help :)

My first thought is you need a Sunshine Kids Radian 65, but I'm not sure for which kid yet, lol. It's definitely narrower than the Titan (and will fit for many more years...as you know, things get tough when they are in boosters, sometimes it's easier if everyone's harnessed as long as possible).

So *maybe* you could get the Radian next to the Young Sport next to the Jane in the back and it'll be easier to buckle the Jane? I'd put the 21 mo in the Young Sport...the Radian's comfy, but the YS is better for sleeping...

My second thought is that the Jane' might not be the easiest seat to buckle...perhaps one of the Britax Parkway covers would appeal to him? It's MUCH easier to buckle as it has no armrests.

My third thought is, does your 9 year old really fit in the seatbelt safely? My 10 yo doesn't fit in my van yet (bum all the way back, feet on the floor, shoulderbelt on the collarbone, lapbelt low on the hips, sitting properly the whole trip).

Ok, that's just some brainstorming to get you started... I'm sure someone else will chime in!!!!

:)

Momof3Labs
12-28-2007, 09:05 PM
My first reaction is a Radian for the 5yo so that there is no need to do a buckle squished next to another seat - it is a 5pt harness. How big/tall is your 5yo?

Maybe put the 21mo RF in the center of the back row so that you can access the harness from either side (you can slide her in there from the top). Or teach your 5yo to do the harness when they are back there together - my 5yo is able to do both his and his 22mo brother's 5pt harnesses properly (I just check and tighten them - which you could also do from the back hatch area).

annietrux
12-28-2007, 11:39 PM
The 5yo is 53lbs, 46 inches, and long-bodied at that. Last year I looked for a 5-point that he could use for a while and couldn't find anything. The 9yo is 59 inches and the belt fits her properly. Is the Radian convertible? Is there a narrow convertible I can put the 21mo in rear-facing?

The armrests on the Jane do adjust upwards which might make enough difference for him to do the buckle.

Thanks for the replies. :14:

Joolsplus2
12-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes, the Radian's a convertible (newest ones rearface to 35 pounds). It sometimes takes up a LOT of space rearfacing (depending on how squishy the vehicle seats are), so it may be tricky to use that way (third row driver's side for the 21 mo?...)

murphydog77
12-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I don't think the Radian would fit in the 3rd row rf--it's tight back there. The 9 yr old would have to move her seat up so far she'd be eating the front seats. What about the Safety 1st Uptown? It's narrow and has tall top harness slots. It only goes to 40 lbs., but Wal-Mart has it on clearance right now for $67. It would be tough to adjust rf for sure, but you could recline the seat back to adjust the harness, then pop the seat back upright again (just make sure the car seat is tight). I would probably stand in the back and load her in myself, but that would be tough if you have a big ol' stroller there ;).

Heather, CPST/Instr.
www.CarSeatSite.com