PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recemend a good vacum cleaner?

jess_g
12-29-2007, 09:38 AM
I was all set to get a Bissel Velocity vacum cleaner from Target, but Target.com has such mixed reviews that I just don't know how good these ones are. Can someone recemend something besides a Dyson? I need something with good suction to get things like spilled cherios up. I have a Hoover that works great but is now brooken and I don't know how to fix it. Thanks,

Jessica.

brittone2
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm hoping to buy a Miele. A little spendy, but the reviews are incredible, and it is probably going to last longer than the less expensive vacs that are almost "disposable" in their quality these days.

Are you hoping to keep it under a certain amount? $500? $200?

jess_g
12-29-2007, 10:54 AM
I am hoping to keep it under $200. I would love to get a Miele but just can't justify the cost right now.

Thanks,

Jessica.

hellokitty
12-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I am going to stalk this thread. My hoover savvy is annoying me already and it is only 3 yrs old and has not gotten as much use as it typically would, b/c our entire first floor is HW floors with only 3 rugs, so we swiffer more than we vacuum. I will never trust good housekeeping's ratings again. They rated the hoover savvy at the top, higher than the dyson the yr I bought it, they actually gave dyson a bad rating saying that it has chewed up carpets, b/c the suction is too strong and carpet companies were not fulfilling warranties on new carpet if you have a dyson that ruined your carpet.

I heard that the eureka smart vac got top ratings from consumer reports, and it's very reasonably priced. However, I have read some reviews online, most are good, but there are some bad ones too. Ppl had the most issues with how heavy this particular unit is and I think ppl complained that it got hot too. I am actually thinking about considering a cannister style this time around, b/c everyone I know with a cannister swears that they are better than uprights. The mieles ARE nice, but ouch, $500 for a vacuum cleaner? My parents had a kirby that cost thousands of dollars and it was so NOT worth it (it broke a lot and weighed so much it was like pushing a tank around the house) we hated that thing, so I am not really willing to pay that much for a vacuum cleaner either.

I heard that electrolux is good too, but I read some reviews where ppl said that the quality of electrolux has gone down a lot compared to when they bought their first one (20+ yrs ago), esp the less expensive models. That's too bad, b/c my bil gets a discount on electrolux...

kijip
12-29-2007, 01:12 PM
If you don't need a lot of on-board extra tools, I suggest a Eureka Sanitaire. Alternately, check out sears for closeouts of different Kenmore models.

kijip
12-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I have a Hoover that works great but is now brooken and I don't know how to fix it.

Take it to a sewing and vacuum repair shop. For less than $40, I got what I thought was a hopeless cleaner fixed and tuned up, thereby saving me the cost of a new vacuum. Honestly, these things don't have to be disposable. Most places still have at least a few repair shops, often attached to shops that sell new vacuums and sewing machines.

katydid1971
12-29-2007, 01:23 PM
We have the Eureka Boss Smart vac. I think its great. I had a $350 hover wind tunel before that was total cr*p. For less than half, I think this is a great vacuum. It is a little heavy but no heavier than any other vacuum I have ever owned. It has some features that keep it cheaper, like the on/off switch on the body, not the handle but not a big deal. The filters are not very expesive (compared to my old wind tunel) and because it is sold everywhere (target, walmart, best buy, sears, etc) you can find filters and bags easily. I would love a meile but the bags are like $15 each and the vacuum, well not $150 thats for sure. I know there are vacuums out there that are better than the Eureka, but not for under $200. HTH

daniele_ut
12-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I agree with Katie that you should at least get an estimate from a repair shop before you replace your vacuum. I thought my 3 year old (originally $250) Hoover WindTunnel Self Propelled was 2 weeks ago, but the free estimate from the repair shop showed that I could fix it myself for $30 in parts. It now works better than it has in months. It obviously needed the repair for a while!

Honestly, though, I have read lots of great reviews of the Bissel Total Floors Velocity and the Bissel Healthy Home. If I did have the replace my Hoover, my first choice was the Velocity and it was $139 on Amazon 2 weeks ago. The Healthy Home got better reviews, but was over my budget.

mommysammi
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
We got the blue Kenmore Canister with the recommendation from a member on this board and love it. The price fluctuates a lot and we got it for $155-ish (price was lower at the store than online). My mom just bought the same one recently and love it too. HTH.