PDA

View Full Version : 4 month old DS is HUGE -- anyone btdt

hillview
12-29-2007, 01:53 PM
DS #2 is 4 months and 22 lbs. He has been exclusively bf until last week when I started adding a bottle of formula a day to keep pace (I am back at work and having a hard time pumping enough). He is OFF THE CHARTS heavy and 27 inches which is 99% for height. DS #1 was quite large too but at this age he was a mere 19 lbs. Anyone been there? I am worried he is going to be too heavy ... DS #1 did lean out -- so DS #2 will too right? He hasn't had solids yet -- waiting for a month or hopefully 2 til we do that.

TIA
/hillary

JBaxter
12-29-2007, 02:03 PM
my DS2 was 20 lbs at 4 months and now he is 13 and wears a 14/16 slim :) My dad always called him Michalin Man LOL ... yes he will slim down.

Radosti
12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
My DS was 22 lbs at 4.5 months and he's 36 lbs now at 2 years old (as of the 2 year appt). He's not heavy though, just big, wears 3T. If it weren't for his 2 year old manner and baby face, everyone would think he was way older than he is.

lizajane
12-29-2007, 02:39 PM
schuyler was about 19lbs at 4.5 months, so not quite as big. but now, he is the skinniest child i know at 4.5yrs. just keep feeding him in a healthy way and he will probably slim down pretty soon (when crawling/walking, etc.)

ast96
12-29-2007, 03:03 PM
My third baby boy is going to be 5 months old on the 8th. At his 4 month check-up, he was 27 inches as well and 18 pounds. That's not as big as your love bug, but it is still pretty big! My experience has been that my babies slow down in the second six months. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are feeding him according to your ped's advice.

ThreeofUs
12-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Totally BTDT. DS started out off the charts, then (at around 1.5 yo) started to slim down. He still shoots up to 90%ile in height growth spurts, but hangs around 50%ile in weight.

cmo
12-29-2007, 04:05 PM
My DS was also about 22 lbs. at 4 months. I remember being a little bitter about not being able to tote him around in the carseat anymore so soon! He is now a few months shy of age 4, and is still a fairly chunky boy, at about 44 lbs. and 42 inches. He's always been off the charts in weight and off or at the top in height. Just in the past few months, though, I have noticed that he is finally starting to look slimmer as he is gaining some height. My DD, who is now 5yo, followed a similar pattern. Her BMI at her annual ped visits were in the red or almost-red zone at her 3 and 4 year visits, and finally this year she was comfortably just above the 50th percentile.

So, it may take a while, but with a proper diet and reasonable amounts of physical activity, nature will take its course!

vludmilla
12-29-2007, 09:39 PM
My BF's 2nd daughter is 18 months old and she has consistently been off the charts for weight and height. She is currently growing out of her 2T clothes. Her ped says she's quite healthy and indeed she seems so. I think it really is just that babies each grow quite differently. The range of "acceptable" or "normal" is huge for babies. My daughter, OTOH, is 16 months (but she was a 32 week premie) is only 19 pounds with her clothes on and she is quite healthy too. It sounds like your DS is just fine and I'm sure his growth will eventually slow down. :)

TonFirst
12-29-2007, 11:06 PM
BTDT - 22 pounds at 4.5 months, exclusively BF, I heard all this talk about how to expect that my exclusively BF baby would probably be smaller than the normal growth chart and was all, "Wha??"

My son turned 3 on 12/8 - he's 37.5 pounds, 40 inches tall, wears a 4T, and his BMI (they start tracking that at age 3 at my peds office) is a solid 52 percentile, so he's completely normal and perfectly proportioned. Honestly, he's skinny as a rail - you can see each of his little muscles and ribs. Also, my husband is 6'2" and each of our fathers is 6'3", so he come by it honest.

...And, this is EXACTLY why the only thing I'm buying for my next baby (due 3/08) is an infant seat that goes to 30 pounds!

JMarie
12-30-2007, 01:27 AM
DS will be five in January and is currently 46.5" and 53 lbs. He's been off the charts since about 9 months and is about two inches taller (and 10 lbs heavier!) than his 6 y.o. cousin. He's the same size as our neighbor's son, who is 8. He's a full head taller than his pre-K classmates. He's just TALL - he's in 6 slims, so I have no clue where the weight goes! Though I'll need to get 7 slims soon - the pants are just getting too short.

bubbaray
12-30-2007, 01:48 AM
Yeah, DD#1 (exclusively BFd for 1 year, started solids at 6m) was off the charts for the 1st 6m for h & w, by 12m was around 75% for both and now is about 75% for H. I don't know her % for w, but she's a skinny minnie. She needs 4T pants, but they are too huge around the waist.

DD#2 is EBFd too and around 90th% for both h&w.

rupptopia
12-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Like the previous posts, I have btdt! DS was about 20 lbs at 4months & pretty tall. At his check-ups he has always been either 95% or off the charts height wise & about 75% weight wise. I thought the rolls were so cute!

He started slimming down at 18 months. Now at 3 it's hard to keep his pants up he is so slim (no diapers either.) At his 3 yr check up DS was almost 42 inches & 37 lbs - size of an average 4 1/2 yr old boy. But he has grown out of pants in the last 3 months so not sure where he on the charts now! Everyone said he would stop growing, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

The only issues are people expecting more of him, it's expensive to replace clothing mid-season, and growing out of carseats & strollers!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Avi was 20 lbs at 4 months, 33 lbs at 17 months and was 41 lbs at his 3 year old checkup. He is about 40 inches, I am not positive about his height. He was exclusively FF due to medication issues with his mom. He was wearing a pair of 4/5 boys pants today and they looked slightly short, but I bought them about 2 weeks ago and they were fine, so I think he is having a growth spurt right now. His dad is 6'2" and his mom is 5' 9" so I think he will just be a tall/big kid. He is the size of a large 4 year old or average 5 year old. Avi has always had a relatively slim waist, we love the pants that have adjustable waistbands so that they can fit him all around. The only special thing I remind myself often is that just because he is the size of a 4 year old he is only 3, and I can not expect him to behave like a older child. This is difficult in public situations when Avi is having a tantrum and people look at you like you can not control your 5 year old, but I just ignore them.

jamesmom
12-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Yes, DS was 20lb at 4 months. Now that he's 4 years old, he's in the 25th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height, so yes, they do slim down :)

pastrygirl
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
My son was a chunk those first few months! He slimmed out once he started crawling. He ended up wearing the same pants from Sept '06 (3 months old) until now (18 months old). I'm only now just starting to filter out the pants that have worn knees. Other than the knees, he still fits in the 12-18m size that he's worn for over a year!