PDA

View Full Version : helping 4 year old with writing?

kedss
12-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi all-

My 4 year old seems like he wants to do some writing, he does a lot of scribbling that resembles writing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to start helping without pushing him too much in this area?

Thanks!

erosenst
12-29-2007, 02:49 PM
The best things to do are tracing. If he hasn't done so yet, he can start by using his finger to trace large letters that you've written. You can also write straight lines, and broad curves and "s's". You can also write some letters on a piece of paper, and cover it with laminating paper. He can use a marker to write on that, and you can wipe it off.

One thing that's important is that he learns to start the letters at the top of each one. Although I'm not a Kumon fan in general, they have a GREAT "learning to write" workbook that shows the direction to make each letter. In addition, it starts with making lines, then wiggles, etc. You can get it online, at teacher supply stores, or bookstores.

Once he gets a little more proficient/coordinated, he can trace directly with a crayon, marker, or pen. This is a cool website that lets you print out whatever you want. http://tinyurl.com/2dk3nw.

HTH -

Emily

JBaxter
12-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I got Nathan an ABC stensil ... it had all the alphabet and 0-9. Its made of hard plastic. He thinks its fun to "write" the whole alphabet he is learning control and has sucess when he moves the stencil. We also have several book that have broken line letters that we use wipeable markes with.

Check out your local homeschool store they usually have lots of fun learning things.

slaggyc
12-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Make sure any tracing materials or related items you buy don't just use the uppercase letters. It's hard to break them of only using uppercase! (Just my experience as a Kinder/1st teacher!)

new_mommy25
12-29-2007, 03:28 PM
ABout the Kumon books...DS loves them! I buy them at Barnes and Noble. They have a whole section of work books.

erosenst
12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Make sure any tracing materials or related items you buy don't just use the uppercase letters. It's hard to break them of only using uppercase! (Just my experience as a Kinder/1st teacher!)

Too funny - just came here to say that you should always write his name with only the first letter capitalized - it's a hard habit to break later. (And for some reason, parents start with all capitals, even though that's not how they write their own names!)

Emily

kijip
12-29-2007, 03:44 PM
We have some paper where there is a picture on top, then the word, then the word traced out, then a line to try it on your own. Toby has LOVED them. It came from the workbook section of a kids bookstore. I am warning you though- once they know how to write the letters, there is a never ceasing little voice asking you "How do you spell Christmas?" "How do you spell tree?" "How do you spell ornament?" I feel like a speak and spell toy and have for a long time now. :)

kcimato
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Hand Writing Without Tears is the best program I've found. Our OT's at school use it all the time. It's so easy.

http://www.hwtears.com/

katydid1971
12-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Hand Writing Without Tears is the best program I've found. Our OT's at school use it all the time. It's so easy.

http://www.hwtears.com/

I use to teach K/1 and I used this progam and I think its great!!!!!

MarisaSF
12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Congrats, Kate! I just noticed your updated siggie! Wahoo!!

Not sure what stage your DS is at with fine motor development, but DD's Montessori preschool had some cool works for developing the grasp needed for holding a pencil. My (and DD's) favorite was the "push pin work." Teacher took a square of construction paper and drew a stencil picture on it (ex -- an outline of an apple). Put on top of some felt or a sponge. DD would take a good-size pushpin and make holes along the edge. The goal was to make the holes close enough that the picture practically falls out.

I loved this because it really helped her develop that grasp without the "pressure" of writing. Another thing they do is always color with colored pencils instead of crayons -- again, I believe, to practice that grasp.

So far, I haven't been a huge fan of the tracing sheets. They seem good for practicing certain shapes (like S, which is tricky for DD), but they seemed to be limiting as DD wasn't really developing her own handwriting, kwim? They are okay for, again, developing the fine motor skills. Here's a really cool site if you find that DS likes tracing: http://www.handwritingworksheets.com/

Another thing DD's preschool does is introduce cursive writing early. DD hasn't picked up how to do it yet, but she can read cursive. The thinking is that it looks prettier (so is more enjoyable) and also that the kids can get their thoughts onto paper faster. Sounded a little kooky to me at first, but whatever... :)

Gena
12-29-2007, 10:09 PM
We also use Handwriting Without Tears. My son's OT started using it with him and I bought the workbooks so we can do it at home to.

KrisM
12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Too funny - just came here to say that you should always write his name with only the first letter capitalized - it's a hard habit to break later. (And for some reason, parents start with all capitals, even though that's not how they write their own names!)

Emily

See, DH and I are engineers and we primarily write in all caps. It's a hard habit to break!