PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide whether to keep this bag...

caleymama
12-29-2007, 09:33 PM
So, I got a leather Banana Republic bag as a gift for Christmas from my sister. I loved it online and I know she got a good deal on it by stacking codes (thank you BBB!). Only problem is that it feels huge when I carry it. I've only tried it around the house, but it's so much larger/heavier/stiffer than what I am used to that I feel like I am carrying a suitcase. I usually use a Longchamp tote (lightweight nylon) or one of several Vera Bradley bags. I like many of the features of the BR bag but am a little overwhelmed by it at the moment. My sister is no help because she carries a big Kooba bag, but that's kind of apples and oranges because it's a really soft, floppy leather. She also works FT and is used to a work bag too, so what feels/looks funny to me seems fine to her.

Good news is I adore the matching wallet and am definitely keeping that. I'm leaning towards keeping the bag, but I don't want to look silly using it as an everyday bag. I'm a casual SAHM and I guess it feels a little more like a work bag than I envisioned. Of course trying it on with my pjs probably isn't helping. I do like the *idea* of the size of the bag and what I could fit in it. It's in the cinnamon color - 4 of the 5 pictures (starting from the left) show it in that color.

Thoughts?

The bag sold out at BR just after I posted, so my link was no longer working. Here's a link to the same bag on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FA07-NWT-Banana-Republic-Somerset-Leather-Satchel-Bag_W0QQitemZ150199050689QQihZ005QQcategoryZ63852Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ETA: I just realized I should have posted this in the MomWear forum - I completely forgot about it. Sorry Mods!!

MarisaSF
12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Your link doesn't seem to work.

I had to LOL because I was given a TINY purse for Christmas. It's something that I'm not quite sure what to do with as I'm usually all about the BIG bag (my fave right now is a floppy Kooba, actually :)).

Anyway, I can't see your new bag pic, but I'm a big fan of big bags, so I say Keep It. :) You'll use it -- even if not every day.

ETA- I meant to add that I'm keeping the teeny tiny purse I was given. I will at least try to use it when I see the gifters. Any idea how to shrink down my entire stash of stuff? :P

caleymama
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Your link doesn't seem to work.

I had to LOL because I was given a TINY purse for Christmas. It's something that I'm not quite sure what to do with as I'm usually all about the BIG bag (my fave right now is a floppy Kooba, actually :)).

Anyway, I can't see your new bag pic, but I'm a big fan of big bags, so I say Keep It. :) You'll use it -- even if not every day.

ETA- I meant to add that I'm keeping the teeny tiny purse I was given. I will at least try to use it when I see the gifters. Any idea how to shrink down my entire stash of stuff? :P

That's funny about the Kooba. I'm always "petting" hers because it's so soft. I fixed the link - the bag was on sale and must have sold out right after I posted. It was there a little while ago! I have bags in all shapes and sizes and definitely prefer a medium to large bag but this one seems so structured, I guess.

Thanks!

nupe
12-30-2007, 05:32 PM
I love that bag, particularly in that color. I think it is gorgeous. If you don't like it b/c it is too heavy empty, or it gives you shoulder pain, then I don't recommend keeping it. If you think it is too formal for SAH, I think that is not valid, if you love the style, then keep it.

I recently read something about how the bag is now the main focus (and the outfit is an accessory?) of how fashion is dressing...

tnrnchick74
12-30-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't find it too business-like. I find it VERY classic. I would LOVE a bag like that...and I don't carry a purse to my business!

Keep it. Enjoy it.

kozachka
02-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi ladies, I am sorry for bumping this up and not asking this question earlier but this post has been on my mind ever since I've read it well over a month ago. Which Kooba bag are you all referring to? I want a new bag and it sounds yummy. None of the Kooba bags I've seen online brings the word floppy to mind.