PDA

View Full Version : Britax RA audible-click harness buckle question

KCR4
12-30-2007, 12:34 AM
OK folks. I need some advice on whether the following is unsafe. I'm puzzled by it.... Thanks in advance!

DS #3 (18 mo) is forward-facing in his Roundabout. His RA model is about 2 years old. It is NOT the old "puzzle clip" type of buckle.

When I harness him, out of habit, I used to fasten the left side first (as I look at it - the right side from his perspective) of the harness and then the right side buckle. Suddenly, this procedure failed to result in the audible click and in fact, the left side of the buckle would spring back out. Now, to get the audible click, I have to start with the right side of the buckle, then the left. This results in the click and the buckle (seems to) hold fine.

What do you think?

Thanks all!
Karen

Joolsplus2
12-30-2007, 09:53 AM
Weeeeeeird..... I'd do whatever you have to do that results in the audible click right now. If you have a chance to take the seat out and remove the buckle and soak it in tepid water (the manual says so...just plain water...you can soak or rinse, whatever it takes to get any mystery gunk out of it). If that doesn't help, then contact them and ask if it needs to be replaced. If he fits rearfacing, I'd use it that way (both because the risk of a harness failing is much less, but also because the new study is finally out that shows kids are 5 times safer rearfacing up to age two).

I hope the rinsing helps :)

KCR4
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi there,

Well, the rinsing didn't help. I called Britax. The rep on the phone thought it was weird too. They mailed me a new buckle strap! Thanks Julie
-Karen

nicanddrew
01-27-2008, 04:49 PM
the new study is finally out that shows kids are 5 times safer rearfacing up to age two
Do you have a link to the study--I'd love to share with the nonbelievers!

KCR4
01-27-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868

this is a summary

Joolsplus2
01-27-2008, 07:09 PM
And here's the abstract of the study when it was finally released http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/13/6/398 (4 times safer in side impacts and somewhat safer in frontals, but I read the five times safer possibly in another article quoting one of the authors).