PDA

View Full Version : I believe I am raising an ex-con.

punkrockmama
12-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Do small children often lose their mind around the time they turn 4? If so, about when do they get it back?

I can't think of any other explanation except maybe it's a growth thing. He'll be four in a couple weeks....IF he makes it that far here as I'm thisclose to preparing his luggage and shipping him off to Outer Mongolia.

He's done lost his mind. Slamming doors, running around (more than usual) SCREAMING like a banshee right up in your face, laughing hysterically when I tell him to stop. Telling me "I don't have to listen to you!" which I thought I wouldn't hear for another 12 years or so.

He grabs my bag down and takes stuff out of it and throws it around. He's throwing more food around at mealtime than he did when he was a baby. Peeing on the floor ON PURPOSE, then giggling about that. He's even hit his dad a few times and then said "Oh, I'm only joshing." when he got in trouble. ???

He must have picked an early date in the new year for the "When Will Mommie Completely Lose Her Shizz" pool.

bubbaray
12-30-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, if its any comfort, DD#1 is your DS's clone. She turns 4 in April and I will SURELY lose what is left of my mind before then.

thomma
12-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Sounds like a 4 year old to me. You just described my summer. :)

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

lizajane
12-30-2007, 02:44 PM
that is my 2 year old!!! well, 3 next month. but he is JUST like that!!!

he is most like that when he is TIRED. it may just be the chaos of the holiday season.

for us, 4 was actually THE TIME OF OUR LIVES. schuyler hit 4 and turned from wild banshee to active but well mannered young man. so maybe he will turn on you in a good way in a few months?

DDowning
12-30-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh, you've discovered 4 have you? Just wait, the next thing you know your 4 year old is pulling a "Kevin" and sliding down the stairs in a laundry basket.

I say this laughing now but this happened to us yesterday and it was sooo not funny. DH and I were cleaning up from christmas. One thought the other was watching the DC while they're playing in the upstairs loft. The next thing we know is we hear a crash followed by crying. The dolt knocked his head up against the railing at the bottom. Thank goodness, DD was riding in the back and fell to the side with carpet. DS Got a nice bump on the right side of his brain with an equally impressive rasberry gash on his stomach. I was seriously worried about concussion while DH is on the floor laughing his a** off - I wanted to strangle him! No more watching "Home Alone" for us!!

This is just one escapade after many, so yes, I know all about 4. Be sure to lock up your baskets.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
12-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I thought 3 was crazy enough. I find Avi is much better behaved when he is well rested and not hungry. For the 10 minutes that both things take place he is an angel, after that all bets are off. I am still looking for the light at the end of the tunnel!!

firstbaby
12-30-2007, 11:48 PM
I have to admit that I want to weep openly from relief reading your posts and the responses.

Yes, my DS will be four in two weeks. Yes, that was me, mother of the year, that you may have seen in the grocery store this morning with my DS screaming at me (and occasionally swinging at me) that he wanted to sit in the almost full cart next to his little brother. Because I am mother of the year (insert eye roll here) I kept my cool, calmly told him we were leaving, took the ten minutes to pay while he continued crying and screaming at me while people behind us switched lines and stared at me, and we left. For good measure, DS started wailing as we left that he didn't want to be "in big trouble" so now people think I hurt my son. I am convinced I can never again go to that grocery store again. I did let DS collect his thoughts for fifteen minutes over a time out in his room and told him the next time mommy goes to the store, only DS2 gets to go. And, because I didn't finish my shopping, now I get to go back another day this week. Lucky me. Sigh.

StantonHyde
12-31-2007, 01:13 AM
LOL!!! Oh boy, do I have my Mother of the Year Moments--I have even been reduced to *Don't make me beat you in public*--which is greeted with a blank stare since I don't hit him and I think he knows that I have lost my mind at that point!!!!! One of my favorite pieces of advice was somebody who said, *Just hand everybody your card on the way out and say, here's my card, call me tomorrow and tell me what a crappy parent I am* I have thought of that several times while dragging my way too old to be having a tantrum son out of somewhere. Just when you think they should settle down, they have to shake you up a bit first. And then there is the added sibling piece. My son is a delight when he is by himself. Throw his sister into the mix and he can be MISERABLE. But she is fine because she is used to sharing attention. She just hits, throws things, and keels over on the floor. I suppose I need to console myself for the times I have lost it with all the times I keep my cool and breathe deeply. *Find a happy place, find a happy place*

Corie
12-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Sheila,

That is how I picked a boy name.

"Knox Lastname, you are under arrest."

buddyleebaby
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
I don't have a four year old yet.

This thread scares me.

punkrockmama
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, atleast we can take comfort in the fact that it looks like some of our kids will bunking in Sing Sing together. Friends! I'm sure mine will be the one doing tats with a needle and ink from a ballpoint pen in exchange for extra toilet paper. eekk

Lol, thanks for the commiseration guys. I love that kid, but honestly, on certain occasions I don't exactly like him. I know that's probably totally bad to say but that's just how it is. Last night he woke up around 3 and slept with me. He was so soft and snuggly and sweet. I guess he can hang around for awhile. :)

fortato
01-10-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd like to think I am raising the spawn of Hell.... it's more comforting than thinking he's going to be an ex-con.

I really would like to trade him for a performing Monkey.

kransden
01-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Take heart, at least with my dd that all ended about when she turned 5. Now she is fun to take places and we have a great time together.