PDA

View Full Version : Must have books?

slaggyc
12-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Since I'm back on modified bed rest again, I thought I would try to do some reading. What are some books you've found useful, especially for a first time parent. I was wanting some about BFing, making your own baby food, signing, and would love any suggestions. What are the books you couldn't live without?

writermama
12-30-2007, 06:07 PM
My favorite book on BF was "So That's What They're For" Funny and readable with good information, too.
http://tinyurl.com/yv53to

I also liked the Nursing Mother's Companion, but more as a refernce after baby arrived:
http://tinyurl.com/ys99ht

For general baby info, I liked The Mother of All Baby Books
http://tinyurl.com/22qaxl

(I also liked her pregnancy book; I thought it was better organized and less bullying and anxiety-provoking than the What To Expect one)

You might want to read a Dr Sears book or two to get the lowdown on attachment parenting, Karp's "Happiest Baby on the Block" gets raves (though I didn't find out about it until I had a toddler -- http://tinyurl.com/33xlfj), "Baby Minds" has some fun activities to try with a baby and a good rationale for using sign language (though I used ASL and not baby signs -- http://tinyurl.com/2sm3hl), and I recommend Pantley's sleep book "No Cry Sleep Solution" ( http://tinyurl.com/322ldk ).

In all seriousness, I'd also recommend some NON-baby related reading: a favorite mystery or some escapist travel writing like "Under the Tuscan Sun" or "A Year in Provence" -- these are both good after baby too because the chapters are short and the subject matter is easy on hormone-intensified emotions.

Good luck and good reading.

bubbaray
12-30-2007, 06:58 PM
ITA, I'd skip the baby-related reading and just read for pleasure. You won't have time to read more than your horoscope once the baby arrives! :)

Good luck!

erosenst
12-30-2007, 07:26 PM
I agree - read for pleasure now, as it will be a while til you can do that again.

But since I know you won't listen to that advice...;):

* Happiest Baby on the Block (get from the library, or do a web search. The concepts are great, but simple and quick reading).

* Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child (buy - I still refer to it four years later)

* Baby411 - the most practical of the "issues" books

* Baby Signs - again, get from the library, as it's a quick read and you don't need to keep it. If I had to do it over again, I would use all ASL signs, and not any Baby Signs, but the overview in this book is great. (FWIW, Abby's transitioned to all ASL signs with no problem - but there's no need for the modified signs IMHO.)

* Nursing Mother's companion -good overview book, although advice from friends turned out to be more helpful to me.

* The Ellyn Satter website about feeding. You can buy/borrow books from there if you feel like you need/want more info.

* If you're really bored, you can read "What to Expect the First Year" - but I really didn't like it that much. I thought the milestones were frequently WAY off from other sources, and the information was kind of weird. Having said that, it wasn't a bad "one of many in the arsenal" kind of reference.

(And in full disclosure, while I nursed for 19 months, I'm not the classic AP parent...so my suggestions may vary from a lot of them here.)

Good non-parenting books lately include "Eat, Pray, Love", "Middlesex", "Dear Stranger, Dearest Friend".

Good luck with the bedrest -

Emily
Abby - almost 4

slaggyc
12-30-2007, 08:09 PM
I will compromise and read some baby books and some for myself! ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I'm going to check them out!

SnuggleBuggles
12-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Chick lit book "Bedrest" is pretty enjoyable and quick read.

Practical book that is new and handy "Heading Home with your Newborn." I'd read it before the baby comes.

Love Sears' books.

Beth

npace19147
12-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Is the Baby Bargains book on your list? ;) For escapist reading, the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series is fantastic.

Good luck with the bed rest - I was on bed rest for ten weeks and it is not easy. Have you found the sidelines.org website? It's support for bed rest mamas.

Feel free to pm me if you need any bed rest info or support. Good luck!

ThreeofUs
12-31-2007, 12:09 AM
I have to strongly second the Sears "Baby Book". We found it to be useful for everything we wanted to know, and their web site is great for those burning questions new parents have.

tylersmama
12-31-2007, 12:34 AM
Just wanted to second the suggestion for "So That's What They're For". Entertaining and practical at the same time. I also had Dr. Newman's Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. Overall, I didn't use it as much, but it has a ton of info on common breastfeeding problems and how to fix them. Also has a fascinating chapter on the marketing tactics of the formula industry that was very eye-opening and made me all the more determined not to use formula if at all possible. I don't know that I would buy it again, but it might be good to borrow from the library. I also really liked the Happiest Baby on the Block book.

I vote to skip WTEWYE as well as WTE the first year. As a pp mentioned, the info often wasn't very accurate, and if you have any attachment parenting inclinations whatsoever, it will just irritate you. The BFing advice in particular is out of date and potentially even harmful to a good BFing relationship. I wish I would have known to skip them...I didn't pay for them, but the people who bought them for me could have gotten me something better! ;)

For some reading just for you, I highly recommend the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella (also Can You Keep a Secret?) for some entertaining non-intellectual reading. You could also try the Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel. My friend loaned me her books a few years ago and I really enjoyed them. HTH!

emilys_mom
12-31-2007, 01:41 AM
I third the Sears Baby Book. I'm due with #2 in January and am re-reading it now. It was the best advice book I got.

I also second Happiest Baby on the block, but you may wait until after to see if you need it. It wasn't until DD#1 was colicky that I picked it up, and even then I was able to get through it in a day.

For fun, Jenny McCarthy's Belly Laugh's had me laughing out loud.

For non-baby reading, I love Barbara Kingsolver - The Bean series or Poisonwood Bible.

maestramommy
12-31-2007, 01:50 AM
I can't get to my books right now, so I can't give you authors, but here are some of my faves:

"Child of Mine"
"Mitten Strings from God: Meditations for Moms in a Hurry"
"Mommy Mantras: Affirmations and Insights to Keep You from Losing Your Mind"

These aren't exactly "useful" books like the ones already mentioned, but they have really helped me in my journey of motherhood.

anamika
12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
For non-baby reading, I love Barbara Kingsolver - The Bean series or Poisonwood Bible.
So The Bean trees is part of a series? I really loved the book but I didn't realize there were more books! Do you have the names?
Thanks,

AngelaS
12-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Baby Signs, Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy and Your Pregnancy Week by Week were the only 'pregnancy' books I read.

I also read "the Baby Catcher" which is the book that made me realize natural childbirth is possible. :)

sgr
12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Make you own baby food book that I found very useful: First Meals by Annabel Karmel.

overcome
12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I too loved Baby 411. It had great infomation and once the baby was here, it gave me some background knowledge to draw on....

caleymama
12-31-2007, 05:42 PM
So The Bean trees is part of a series? I really loved the book but I didn't realize there were more books! Do you have the names?
Thanks,

Pigs in Heaven comes to mind and I can't remember if Animal Dreams is related or not. It's been ages since I've read them.

To the OP:
You've gotten some great suggestions already! Here are some others that come to mind . . .

Your Child's Growing Mind by Jane Healy
Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Anne Lamott
Let the Baby Drive: Navigating the Road of New Motherhood by Lu Hanessian
Buy, Buy, Baby by Susan Gregory Thomas

ThreeofUs
12-31-2007, 06:23 PM
You know, this is such a great thread it ought to be in a FAQ or "resources" page somewhere. I remember being completely at sea when DS was born, and wish I had known of some of these.

aa2mama
12-31-2007, 08:14 PM
My favorite book on breastfeeding is Breastfeeding Made Simple.
http://tinyurl.com/yptadf

slaggyc
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks again for all the suggestions. And thanks, Nancy, for the website suggestion for bedrest. I had not heard of it!

SnuggleBuggles
01-01-2008, 11:44 PM
I also read "the Baby Catcher" which is the book that made me realize natural childbirth is possible. :)

I love that book. I had been hearing about it for years and just read it this year. So well written, inspirational and just neat. :)

Beth