PDA

View Full Version : Soooo, what has promising your kids they could pick

kijip
12-31-2007, 03:09 AM
landed you with?

Today we went shoe shopping. I promised he could pick out his new school shoes. THIS is what he will be wearing to school:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/kijip/doc-martens-greenlg.jpg

Oi. Anyhoo, at least he is a bargain hunter. They were on sale. Really I wonder why ever would the store would mark them down for a quick sale. :) They are more neon playdoh green in real life. Think that unnaturally green stuff they pass off as relish at the ballpark for hot dogs. It hurts my eyes to look at them too long.

ellies mom
12-31-2007, 03:17 AM
Sweet! I'd love to get those for Ellie! I'd buy clothes to match if I had to although I think they really will work as a neutral especially with jeans.

I can't think of anything similar that a promise has gotten us. I usually hedge in those types of promises pretty closely.

randomkid
12-31-2007, 03:24 AM
Nothing...yet. DD is just getting to the age where she will want to pick. Her b-day is in 2 weeks and when I promised her she could pick out her cake, I winced. We'll see what we end up with. :)

dr mom
12-31-2007, 07:23 AM
On the bright (Neon Bright!) side, you're less likely to start your mornings with the refrain: "Mom, I can't find my shoes!"
'Cause I'm pretty sure you could find those even if you were blindfolded in a dark room during a blackout.

I hope he loves them, and takes pride in the fact that you gave him the autonomy to express his own taste in clothing. :)

DS hasn't yet backed me into a corner clothes-wise, but then again I haven't promised he could pick. I buy all the clothes, and then he decides what to wear everyday (weather-appropriate). Currently, he's very intent on matching everything - right down to his socks and underwear matching the rest of his ensemble - so there are plenty of days we leave the house with him wearing three different shades of red. It doesn't matter, he's proud of himself, and at this age ya gotta pick your battles!

purpleeyes
12-31-2007, 09:07 AM
Oh my gosh, are those doc martens for kids?!? Can I get them online? I love them!! That is fabulous, absolutely fabulous.

So far he haven't made any crazy fashion choices beyond wearing his fire or construction outfits to target, which is just cute, imo. ;)

Emmas Mom
12-31-2007, 01:21 PM
Those are SO cute!! He's got very fashionable taste! ;)

lizajane
12-31-2007, 01:49 PM
ok, i get it that they are guuh-reeeeeeeeeeeeeen. but they are cute!!! really!!!

i don't let my kids pick. i am mean and awful and i dress them preppy and southern and classic and THEY WILL LIKE IT! BWUHA HA HA!!

not really. schuyler loves everything i pick out for him. really. he tells me so. dylan, on the other hand, wants to wear jeans and tee shirts every single day. which, i realize, isn't a big deal for a 2 year old. but i do make him wear the clothes i make some of the time. he is my best marketing tool for my biz!!!

as for shoes that light up... well, they just "don't come in your size, dear."

kijip
12-31-2007, 01:59 PM
Oh my gosh, are those doc martens for kids?!? Can I get them online? I love them!! That is fabulous, absolutely fabulous.

I googled "green toddler doc martens" to find the picture to post. This is the site that came up with them. www.babywit.com

ShanaMama
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
ROFL! Good for you!
I haven't been quite so open to DD's choices yet. The only place she's really asserted herself so far is choosing clothing to wear, and her choices are not as bad as her father- LOL. I tried to explain to DH that a shirt with pink and pants/ skirt with pink do NOT necessarily go together!
I can see DD choosing such shoes in girl version. Send me some courage to allow her to actually get them!

kijip
12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
as for shoes that light up... well, they just "don't come in your size, dear."

We managed to avoid those until JcPenneys (the only store with boys dress shoes that were not insanely expensive right before Xmas) had a buy 1, 2nd pair is $1 sale. The ONLY pair eligible for the sale in his size was Cars Light up shoes.

TahliasMom
12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
those are cool! Our little tradition after Christmas, as DD does not really get toys, the family just pitches in towards a mall GC. We went to a toy store and DD picked out the Fisher Price Medical Kit and Barbie My First Skates. Then we went to a book store and DD picked up 3 Olivia books. DD is in LOVE with Olivia. Then we went to a shoe store and DD tried to pick out really hideous sneakers. ehehe. I distracted her toward a really cool pair of Umi boots! :)

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
12-31-2007, 08:54 PM
We went to Build A Bear for the first time and Nick picked a pink poodle and a pink satin dress then put a yellow plastic construction hardhat and work boots on the poodle. I thought it was a great combo of style plus practicality.

Piglet
12-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Okay, now those are adorable!! I want them in my size!

bubbaray
12-31-2007, 11:36 PM
OMG, those boots are freakin' CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would totally get those for DD#1!!!!!

I still pick their clothes when shopping. Most days, I also pick what is worn.