PDA

View Full Version : DS is obsessed with Jay Jay!

sidmand
12-31-2007, 09:49 AM
This happened all of a sudden, but DS is now completely obsessed with Jay Jay the Jet Plane. I didn't even know he knew who he was. I happened to buy (great deal, thanks BBB!) a Jay Jay set when FAO Schwartz was clearancing them last year, but I guess one of his therapists has some diecast Jay Jay planes as a reward. And we had a Jay Jay book...I made the *mistake* of buying a Jay Jay DVD and now, literally, from the moment he wakes up in his crib and sees me, all I hear is "Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay!"

DH thinks it's because he can say it! (He doesn't have many words, although he's getting a lot better.) He can actually say "Thomas" too, so I'm not sure we can chalk it up to that. He's actually always really liked airplanes. It was one of the first "noises" he made. He likes them to "fly" in the "sky."

But this obsession with Jay Jay...it's cute and all, and we went to Edaville RR over the weekend and discovered that Jay Jay comes every summer (I guess we know some summer plans!), but Jay Jay isn't on PBS anymore and it's very hard to find stuff. And I'm already tired of watching the DVD! We can't watch Jay Jay all day long and now when I turn it off he has a complete meltdown!

I suppose there are worse things to be obsessed with. But couldn't he pick a show I actually don't mind? I kind of like Super Why and the Backyardigans.

nupe
12-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I know that is annoying, wanting the same of anything would be. But that is the nature of the beast--my DS often wants to watch the same thing over and over (like icky Thomas). In fact I read in the Tipping Point that when Blues Clues first came out, the same episode would play for a week, and that is how they kept kids attention. At least Jay Jay stories are better than all the Thomas ones. In all the Thomas stories some train is making fun of another train and overall I don't like the message. Whereas Jay Jay stories are nice. I found my public library had Jay Jay DVDs, and I just discovered that I have Jay Jay "on demand" through my cable service. We used to have it on pbs but I haven't seen it lately.

egoldber
12-31-2007, 01:55 PM
The library is a good idea. Maybe you can interlibrary loan some?

Sarah was obsessed with JayJay when she was younger. It was the first show she really liked. They took JayJay off our PBS many years ago and my mother made several (really, super awful quality lOL) tapes of it from her PBS station which still had it and sent it to us.

Also, I'm sure you could find something on eBay. :)

sidmand
12-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I don't know why I didn't even think of checking out the library. That's a great idea.

I also forgot that my friend's husband works at PBS. I think the show has been off the air for a little while, so that may not help, but there may be a closet stuffed with old Jay Jay stuff somewhere!

I know a friend of mine stopped watching Thomas because the trains were always "cross" and her son would say he was "cross" and start throwing things around. Jay Jay does seem to have a good message (although it wasn't until I started doing some research I found some also have religious messages?), but yeah, there could be worse things!

egoldber
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
I have heard that the original show was religious, but the PBS version is not. I am not at all religious and never found anything in the show that I noticed. And trust me I have seen ALL the episodes LOL!! They were just nice lessons about patience, understanding, tolerance, listening, responsibility, etc.

mamicka
12-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure which came first, the religious or non-religious... but only the ones that explicitly say on the box that they are religious have anything religious in them. So I think it'd be pretty easy to avoid if you wanted.

sidmand
12-31-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure which came first, the religious or non-religious... but only the ones that explicitly say on the box that they are religious have anything religious in them. So I think it'd be pretty easy to avoid if you wanted.

That's good to know. I did find some on a Catholic bookstore site and my only problem there is that I'm Jewish! But I wasn't sure if was just that the themes fit (patience, loyalty, etc.) or they were specific to Catholicism. Nothing I had seen seemed overtly Catholic and since they were on PBS, I figured at least some were nonreligious, or not obviously religious.