PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to get a Keyfit 30!

Binkandabee
12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
I've read up on how many people love their keyfits as well as the raving safety reviews. I'm still torn between the keyfit and the snugride, though, for these few reasons. I had a snugride with DD and loved it. Not a single complaint. It was easy to install, easy to use. It fit properly into a grocery cart (a no no for some, I know) but it had a locking mechanism that actually clicked into place onto the cart itself so I felt comfortable. It also fit nicely with our stroller. But, I ended up ditching it at about 6-8 months, though because it got just too darn heavy for me to carry.

The keyfit does not fit into a grocery cart seat part and while it goes up to 30pounds I cannot for the life of me see myself actually using an infant seat that long. I simply cannot carry it. It also does not fit a typical carseat frame, correct? I'd need to get a more expensive maclaren. So, knowing all of this, why should I get a keyfit?

ellies mom
12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I know people love their Keyfits and Safeseats but I've decided to just go with the Snugride this time because I couldn't see myself wanting to carry around that large of a baby. And if I'm going to just leave the seat in the car then I might as well use a convertible seat. I figure, I'd rather put the difference in price towards a nicer convertible. If you think about it, it is the difference between the Marathon and Boulevard.

But that probably isn't what you wanted to hear, huh?

o_mom
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM
I guess my first question would be do you still have the old Snugride? If is not expired, has a 5pt harness and front adjuster, then you should be fine using it, just know that it won't last as long as a newer seat, even just a new Snugride.

If you are buying new, the Snugride is OK, will last longer than your old one (higher height and weight limits) and now has EPS foam around the head. On the downside, it still has skimpy padding unless you spend a bunch and it still has the same install issues with seatbelts.

The SafeSeat1 and Keyfit have better padding and install easier. Do you have LATCH in every spot you will install it? If not, the built in lockoffs make seatbelt installs so easy - no locking clips to deal with on a lap-shoulder belt like the Snugride. They also last longer, which I love being able to transfer a sleeping child inside since we are on the go more than when my DS1 was little.

I have never tried to put my SafeSeat on top of the cart, I just put it in the basket. Now that DS3 is sitting up, he sits in the seat anyway. I rarely carry him very far in the seat, but being the middle of winter, it is really nice to have him bundled up to and from the car and not have to fiddle with getting coats on and off all the time.

daniele_ut
12-31-2007, 10:21 PM
I had a SnugRide for DS and sold it when we were done with it knowing we were going to wait awhile before we had another (he's now 3). The SnugRide was fine, though we had to use a locking clip to get it to stay level in our car and that was a PITB. I also didn't think the padding was all that great. DS never liked riding in it much.

This time around, I knew I wanted something with a built in locking clip for easier installation. The size of the seat wasn't a huge concern for me, since DS was small and would have lasted 10 months or more in the SnugRide. I agonized for months about whether to get a KeyFit30 or a SafeSeat, but finally dh settled the argument that was raging in my head and we bought the KeyFit. DS was a preemie and we felt like we might need the 4 lb minimum weight on the KeyFit. I'd love it if we get DD to a year old in it, since that will get us through almost 2 winters. DD isn't here yet, but I've installed it in my car and I can't say enough good things about that seat. I seriously LOVE it. The infant support padding is SO plush and even the padding of the seat itself beats the SnugRide padding by a mile. The install was definitely the easiest I've ever done. The one pull LATCH strap makes it a total snap. I also installed the base with a lap/shoulder belt in our older car and it was SO much easier than fighting with the locking clip on the Snugride.

If you are going to be installing with LATCH, the SnugRide works just fine, but with a lap/shoulder belt, I would definitely go with a SafeSeat or a KeyFit.

lilac0422
12-31-2007, 11:20 PM
It also does not fit a typical carseat frame, correct? I'd need to get a more expensive maclaren.

Not correct. I haven't heard of a frame that doesn't fit the Keyfit actually. Yes the Maclaren one works but also the Kolcraft and Graco models. Try it out...but other moms have said it works fine. I love my Keyfit. Very solid and well made. Super easy to install. Good luck!!

Joolsplus2
01-01-2008, 04:19 PM
I wish that high weight limit wouldn't give everyone images of hauling around 2.5 year old toddlers (who are typically 30 pounds, lol)...the Key Fit is not taller than the Snugride, it won't fit kids typically longer than a year and 20ish pounds. The Safeseat 1 is almost as nice as a Key Fit, easier to install than a Snugride, and fit my baby till she was walking well (18 months...yes, I DID want to carry her around in it when I went grocery shopping and she napped...she was only 22 pounds, and it was a *lifesaver* of a seat when she turned out to be a late walker).
People with fast gaining babies might also benefit from a 30 pound weight limit seat... what happens if you have a 24 pound 7 month old who's not even sitting well? They are too big for the Snugride, and you probably still want a way to carry them.
As for grocery shopping, I just put her in the basket itself...kept her safe and kept me from buying more than I could put away when I got home. The KF also fit sideways in the seat part of the cart ;).