PDA

View Full Version : Dandruff in kids? What do you use?

Corie
12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Just noticed some flakes while fixing my daughter's hairbow.
I know her skin is dry and itchy so it's probably dry skin.
I'm guessing anyway.

Head & Shoulders or Selsun Blue seems a little heavy-duty
to me. I don't really know.

What have you used?

noodle
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
California Baby shampoo is awesome! We've always used it for DS, who has eczema, and when dd had cradle cap it cleared it right up. DH uses it too, initially for dandruff, but now just because he likes it.

Good luck,
Jennifer

Corie
12-31-2007, 03:51 PM
California Baby shampoo is awesome! We've always used it for DS, who has eczema, and when dd had cradle cap it cleared it right up. DH uses it too, initially for dandruff, but now just because he likes it.

Good luck,
Jennifer

Thanks, Jennifer!

Where can I find California Baby products?

ThreeofUs
12-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Believe it or not, Target has CB products!

FWIW, DS also had dandruff and dry skin, especially in winter. We tried everything (different soaps, conditioners, etc.).

But it turned out to be simple: we were bathing too often (only once per day, but still too often). We went to a bath every other day with cleaning of face, genitals, and hands every night - and his dandruff and dry skin cleared up.

vludmilla
12-31-2007, 06:24 PM
edited

But it turned out to be simple: we were bathing too often (only once per day, but still too often). We went to a bath every other day with cleaning of face, genitals, and hands every night - and his dandruff and dry skin cleared up.

ITA with this. I have been giving DD a "butt bath" lately every time she has a BM because of a rash but I definitely don't clean her hair every day because it would be too much. My sister who has had exzcema was always told by her MD's to bathe every other day or less.

noodle
12-31-2007, 09:13 PM
Target's price is decent, too ($8.99, I think). We buy it in quantity from http://www.californiababy.com/index.html

We also only partially bathe dd every evening (and the SLATHER her with Eucerin Plus) and only really wash her every two or three days (she calls it a "whole self bath."

Jennifer

anamika
12-31-2007, 10:26 PM
another vote for CA Baby esp the tea tree oil shampoo. It worked miracles on my daughter's cradle cap.

Corie
12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
We do give the kids a bath every other day. Maybe that's too often?

I just feel like since she is in kindergarten now and running around
out on recess or in gym class that she needs a bath. She's always
sweaty.

I'll try the California Baby and see how they works out.

Thanks so much!!

bubbaray
01-01-2008, 12:28 AM
You might want to have her checked by a dr. From your description, it could also be eczema, which has different treatment.

HTH