PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever gone to a Family Camp for vacation?

Corie
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I think this sounds like so much fun!!

Camp for the whole family! :)

Have you ever gone to a Family Camp? If so, where?
And what did you think?

Thanks!!

kochh2
12-31-2007, 04:02 PM
yep! when i was growing up, on long island, we went to 4-H camp family camp weekends alllllll the time, it was so much fun... crafts, activities, so much stuff... in fact, i recently asked my mom if it was still happening, and unfortunately, they don't run family camping any more. I know in new england, Camp Jewell is a place for family camp as well!! it IS a lot of fun!!
:)

KrisM
12-31-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, DH and I (before kids) went to tennis camp for a week. We hope to go back in a few years with the kids, if they are interested in tennis.

pb&j
12-31-2007, 04:56 PM
No, but the 2 summer camps I went to as a kid both have it. One is Camp Alleghany in Lewisburg, West Virginia. It's gorgeous, and really close to The Greenbrier. The accomodations are big canvas tents on platforms, and it's right on the banks of the Greenbrier River, tucked in to the mountains. Access is by pole barge across the river.

The other is Cheley Colorado Camps in Estes Park, Colorado. Accomodations are either cabins (at main camp) or wagons (at Trail's End camps). Horseback riding, hiking, crafts, etc in the Rocky Mountains.

I would LOVE to go to family camp when DS is older!!

TahliasMom
12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
any recommendations for a family camp in CA? I'm near San Francisco but anywhere in the state would be great. I'm thinking next summer as DD will 4. Is that too young? It would probably be the two of us and my parents.
TIA

crayonblue
12-31-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi Corie,

My family went to Pine Cove in Tyler, Texas for years and years. I worked there for three summers and had the time of my life! Best memories of my teenage years, for sure. I worked in the nursery with 0-3 year olds. We basically worked from 8am to 10pm so it was exhausting but lots of fun.

I hope that in the next couple of years we can do a family camp summer vacation. My BIL and SIL and kids go to Sandy Cove in Maryland every summer.

(The two I mentioned are both Christian camps.)

I think the best part of a family camp would be the childcare. It might actually seem like a vacation to you! Sometimes when we go on vacation to the beach or wherever, we come home exhausted from taking care of kids who are way, way out of their normal routines.

Corie
12-31-2007, 11:47 PM
Hi Corie,

My family went to Pine Cove in Tyler, Texas for years and years. I worked there for three summers and had the time of my life! Best memories of my teenage years, for sure. I worked in the nursery with 0-3 year olds. We basically worked from 8am to 10pm so it was exhausting but lots of fun.

I hope that in the next couple of years we can do a family camp summer vacation. My BIL and SIL and kids go to Sandy Cove in Maryland every summer.

(The two I mentioned are both Christian camps.)

I think the best part of a family camp would be the childcare. It might actually seem like a vacation to you! Sometimes when we go on vacation to the beach or wherever, we come home exhausted from taking care of kids who are way, way out of their normal routines.

Hi Lana!

I've heard of Pine Cove! Some of my sister's friends were camp
counselors there. I never knew it was a family camp though.
That's awesome!

I just thought it would be fun to do some activities together then
separate for alone time/friend time and back together for dinner.

:)

Jenn98
01-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Um, what's family camp?

tylersmama
01-01-2008, 01:21 AM
We used to go to family camp when I was growing up. It wasn't a dedicated camp for families, but it was our church's church camp, and they always had family camp over Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I have great memories of meeting new friends there, and I'm sure it helped prepare me for going to camp on my own when it was time. I already knew the ins and outs of the camp from having been there so many times.

Our camp was Camp Christian in Delaware, Ohio. I went there all the way through high school. Always thought I might work there during the summer when I was in college, but I never did. Great memories...