PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever hired a professional organizer?

jhrabosk
12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm going to have someone come and do a consultation. I'm going to try to limit myself (initially, at least) to getting some help setting up a system for our personal/financial paperwork. I have boxes and piles and I can't find anything...it's killing me. And my "office" is an armoire in my bedroom...space is at a premium.

Just wondering what kind of experiences others have had...best money you ever spent? Biggest waste?

TIA!

Piglet
12-31-2007, 09:48 PM
I did it a few years back. Not the biggest waste, but not the best thing ever either. I felt like it was something that I *could* have done on my own, but this sort of forced me to do it, YKWIM? I still use a lot of the systems we created, but I wish I was better at keeping things organized without having to spend the money on an organizer.

My advice is to not expect it to be like one of the TV organization shows. You won't see the radical changes (which is a good thing, as you probably won't be keeping up with radical changes).

Also, make sure that your organizer and you are similar types of people. You will be spending a lot of time with them in close quarters and doing lots of sort of personal stuff (i.e. sorting your underwear, LOL). You also want someone that has some flexibility in their approach - it is VERY hard to become someone you aren't but easier to make systems that work with your personality. Don't hire someone that expects you to change who you are - it just won't happen! For me, that meant embracing my inner "Piler" - I know where things are but I don't have them all neatly tucked away. The systems had to be easy to use and intuitive, or we just wouldn't keep them up. My organizer didn't make me feel lousy that I didn't have a place for everything and everything in its place, but rather she used what I did well as a springboard (I file my financial stuff very neatly) and she figured out that I do well at putting things in places that are easily labelled. A lot of time was spent labelling things, for example. I still use the labelled bins.

Lastly, 1 day went a long way and I was super tired afterwards. If you decide to do a big project, try to give yourself 1 day then take some time off so that you can 1) learn if the system works and 2) figure out what else needs to be organized. Don't do it in a 2 days straight, if possible.

Good luck!

hillview
01-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I did -- actually my sister did for me. I had just had a baby via c-section and was moving. The organizer unpacked our entire kitchen, linen closet and a few other things. She was good ... not great but HUGELY helpful. I think you need to have an idea of what you want to get out of it -- a specific project. Also having someone is helpful in terms of actually getting it done.

HTH
/hillary