PDA

View Full Version : Make Up questions

niccig
12-31-2007, 07:26 PM
I have never worn much makeup, never bothered and never knew how. The other day my sister dragged me to the mall for an all day shopping trip (not my idea of fun as nothing ever fits or looks good except for shoes). We went to Sephora and got made over. And it actually was fun. Insert very surprised smiley here. The lady helping us was great, after a few blank looks from me, she went back to basics and told us lots of tips. So here are more questions now that I've worn make up for 2 days:

1. Do you tip the person that gives you a makeover? I've never had this done, had no idea and after we got our products, she disappeared. It was her 2nd last day, but I did get her business card so I could track her down. Between the two of us we did spend a lot of $$.

2. How do you clean your brushes? Specifically the concealer brush? Do you clean it after ever use? I'm using a cream concealer. Also, blush and eye brushes?

3. Any good makeup remover products? I figure I can't go to sleep with it on. So far, I'm just using my normal cleanser.

4. Blush - how the heck do you just get a little bit on the brush. I swear I'm barely dabbing the brush onto the compact, but then my cheeks look way too reddish.

If anyone is interested, she told me to stick with a tinted moisturizer as I don't have much time in the mornings, and it's more forgiving if I don't quite get it on right. She then told me to always use a blush, concealer, do a little to your eyes (at least mascara and liner) and then lips. She said I could get it down to a 10-15 min routine. I'm still practicing on that. Oh, the tinted moisturizer and cream concealer was Vincent Longo brand - not cheap, but I like both a lot and a novice like me can manage them. :)

tnrnchick74
12-31-2007, 07:42 PM
1. I've never tipped the makeup person unless I made an appointment for a private makeup lesson. I know in some stores they get a commission for the products they sell

2. Brushes - use a gentle baby shampoo. Wash weekly and squeeze the water out with a clean towel. Dry with the brush part standing up. I usually use a clean cup. Don't dry flat because your brushes's shape can be altered. Using a creame concealer, wipe it off with a dry cloth after every use if you want, to get the majority of the cream off. Otherwise jsut wash weekly like normal. IF you are using any of the sponge applicators - those should be tossed and replaced monthly. They CAN be washed weekly with your brushes, but I have found that they never dry completely before they end up slightly molding.

3. Makeup remover - your normal cleanser is fine. If you are having problems getting eye makeup off (especially eyeliner and mascara) then use an oil based product...or remover. I tend to use safflower oil or vit e oil. Gently rub over the eye and wipe off with a clean cloth.

4. Blush can be tricky. Get some powder on your brush and either tap the excess off, or rub the brush on your hand THEN apply to your cheeks. You can also rub your cheeks and rub the blush in a little. I use a gel blush and I rub it in and blend it so it doesn't look too strong.

Davids-Coco
12-31-2007, 07:52 PM
1. I never tip. They are paid a commission on products sold typically. I don't know Sephora's exact policy on that. So you are basically tipping more by buying more.

2. I use Mac's brush cleaner to clean my brushes. Once a month, I do a deep clean where I pour an inch to an inch and a half of it into a cup and drench/beat my brushes in it. Rinse with running water until water is clear, reshape and lay out to air dry on a wash cloth. If I get sick, I clean them.

You can also dilute this stuff with water and put it in a spray bottle. Spritz when you are done for the day and wipe on a wash cloth.

3. I use baby wipes, and then wash my face after that with netrogena. I also use regular old baby oil to get off my water proof mascara... and use the baby wipes to get that off once I'm done.

4. lol, it may be too dark of a color for you... but tap it onto the color lightly and then tap tap tap the brush (right around where the brush meets the handle, on the handle). That should get less on the brush.

lizajane
12-31-2007, 08:19 PM
no tip
shampoo
i have to use oil free makeup remover for my sensitive eyes and skin- i like clinique oil free and arbonne oil free.
always tap your blush brush or gently blow off the excess (there is a really funny "Friends" episode where ross does rachel's makeup because she hurt herself and she keeps yelling "blow!" because he wants to put on too much powder. and he makes a really funny blowing noise.)

ETA: i JUST got back from sephora where i went to get some specific Stila products. so i wanted to add that i did have to ask for help, but once i got the sales person's attention, she was very helpful and knowledgeable. the cashier was, as well, and recommended two more products for future purchase that i am very interested in. she wasn't being pushy at all, just emphathizing with my oily skin. so yay sephora. :)

Marisa6826
12-31-2007, 08:56 PM
No tip
I use a brush cleaner about once a month (or if I use a new colour). I actually use an old Avent baby bottle cap (perfect size), pour some in, and swish the brush around. I then kind of wipe the brush on an old rag till nothing comes off anymore. A LOT of stuff will end up as sediment in the bottom of the brush cleaner, so I will usually have to dump it once and refill the little bottle cap (I have about eight brushes including eyes/blush/powder).
For the concealer brush, I would just clean it well once a week (that's according to the ladies at the MAC store, btw) with a gentle shampoo. If you're using it on an open zit, I'd clean it more often, or you'll be spreading bacteria.
I don't use a special makeup remover. Just my regular cleanser. I use Philosophy's Purity One Step stuff. Not expensive and LOVE it. When I was using one of those hard core impossible to remove lipsticks, though, I did use Target's version of the Olay ones to do the job. :)
To keep from getting too much makeup on the brush, I give it a slight swirl in the blush and then a pretty good whack on the edge of the makeup container. Remember that less is always more. Start out with way more than you think you need, and add on as you go. Easier to put more on than to take too much off. ;)
I do definitely feel more like a human being if I bother to put makeup on, though I find that I've fallen out of the habit again. I can't see doing it *just* to drop the kids off at school and then go to Target. ;) However, since school starts for ME next week, I guess I better get back into the routine.

-m

Emmas Mom
12-31-2007, 09:00 PM
I use the MAC brush cleaner as well. It's fabulous.

I also love the Mary Kay eye makeup remover, it works great. Most of the time I just use my regular face wash to remove my eye makeup (I don't wear too much) but if I have liquid liner on or waterproof mascara....the Mary Kay takes it off SO easily.

Another trick to lighten darker blush is to go over it with pressed or loose powder on a puff.

candybomiller
12-31-2007, 10:47 PM
As a professional makeup artist, I agree with most of what's been said.

I use the mac cleaner and Mary Kay for removing eye makeup. I've tried a lot of stuff, and the Mary Kay is the best. I clean my brushes weekly, except for the concealer brush, which I clean daily. I clean them using antibacterial soap, then once they are dry, I spray them with the mac cleaner. These are my personal brushes. My professional ones get cleaned after every use, of course.

Try mixing your blush with some loose powder before you put it on. That will definitely help to cut the color.

Isn't makeup so much fun?! I love my job. :)

bubbaray
12-31-2007, 11:24 PM
I never tip for a makeover.

I use baby shampoo on my brushes. I clean them every few months, I think you are supposed to do it monthly. I use disposable sponge-tip applicators for eye makeup, I get them at Walmart. They come in a matchbook-like container.

I use my regular cleanser for face makeup. For eye makeup, I use Ciba LidCare or Klorane eye makeup remover. The Klorane stuff is similar to Lancome Bifacils eye makeup remover, which I've also used in the past.

niccig
01-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you ladies. I know it sounds silly to be in your mid-thirties (as of last birthday) and not know about makeup. So, I wanted to ask here, I knew I would get lots of helpful responses.

I'll try out the makeup removers - a friend's sister sells Mary Kay, so that will be easy to get. I'll clean my brushes in baby shampoo - I've got plenty of that of course. I think the blush is the right colour, it looked nice when it was used at the store - I think it's my technique that is lacking. I'll keep practicing what I was shown, and then I'll try to branch out a little. I agree with Liza Jane, the staff at Sephora were very helpful. And Candy, if you lived near me, I would have you over for a lesson in a flash.

I do feel more put together, like I'm making an effort for me. Not that I'll wear it everyday, but it's nice to try on most days.

candybomiller
01-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd come over anytime! :)