PDA

View Full Version : ?s about getting Tonsils and Adenoids Removal

matthewsmom
01-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Hi Everyone:

We've finally rescheduled DS' surgery for next week. Last time we had to cancel b/c he was so sick the day before the surgery. I was hoping you guys would have any advice regarding it. I tried to search on the archives but was having a hard time (probably due to my inability to navigate the new site yet). The doctors had written 2 prescriptions for him. One was for tylenol with codeine elixir. Which I understand to help him with his pain. But hte other was Zitromax. The last time I saw the doctor was a few months ago when we had first scheduled the first surgery. For those that had tonsils and adenoids removed, did you also take antibiotics after the surgery? I wasn't supposed to give it to him before the surgery right? I totally forgot and was just reading the packet.

Also, any advice would be great regarding post surgery. He'll be staying overnight at the hospital due to his sleep apnea. It's so nerve wrecking b/c we've been expecting it for so long but then the last time had to cancel. Just crossing my fingures that he'll be healthy that day and that the recovery would be fast. Thanks so much in advance.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I had my tonsils out in 77. I remember staying in the hospital overnight and being in a large amount of pain. So I'd say the codeine is a good idea. Not sure about the antibiotics. Call your doc if you're unsure, don't worry about bothering them. I'm sure they'd rather take 2 minutes out of their day to call you and answer a question than go through the hassle of rescheduling a surgery.

I'm sure your little guy will come through it just fine. I didn't know that they didn't keep children overnight regularly anymore,wow. I'd think it was kind of necessary. So your little guy's even better off because he'll be being watched for the first 24 hours afterwards, how great. Good luck with everything.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-01-2008, 02:44 AM
I had my adenoids removed when I was 14, so 6+ years ago. I only remember taking tylenol with codeine after the procedure. I had to be at the Hospital at 6 AM and was home by noon. I don't remember taking antibiotics but different doctors might have different protocols. Does the dr want you to give your ds the antibiotics now so that he is not sick during the procedure? I would call him/her on Wed and ask the dr. I figure that is why I pay my dr the big bucks,lol.

elephantmeg
01-01-2008, 10:41 AM
all of our kids (I'm a peds nurse in one of the few hospitals where the majority of kids do stay overnight) are on oral abx and tylenol with codeine after the surgery. The only time they take something before is for heart prophylaxis. Make sure you take several changes of comfy clothes for you (in case he pukes on you), several changes of undies for him (or pullups or whatever-not sure how old he is), any security objects, toys that will occupy him before surgery and some videos etc for afterwards. One of the docs gives you the scrips ahead of time so you can get them filled before hand and not have to worry about it when you are discharged the next day. It's a nice gesture IMHO. The other 3 docs give you the scripts when you leave. The only drawback is if your child doesn't react well to codeine and ends up on something like lortab elixer in which case you will have to get that filled too. I hope everything goes well!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

HTH

g-mama
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
My ds had his tonsils and adenoids removed in August. He was 6 at the time. We gave him antibiotics and tylenol w/ codeine after the surgery, nothing before.

My ds didn't stay overnight so I don't know about that. We brought him home with us about 2 hours after he came out of surgery. It was a pretty tough recovery and definitely worse than I expected. He's a pretty tough guy so somehow I thought he'd manage better but it was very painful for him for about 12 days. We stocked up on all kinds of soft foods/drinks for him to make him feel better but he wanted none of it for 4-5 days.

Good luck!

luzagirl
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
DD had her tonsils out when she was 2 1/2 and her adenoids out when she was a little over 3 (we got bad advice from her first doctor, who said she didn't need to have her adenoids removed; the doctor who did the second surgery said her adenoids were the largest he had ever removed). She was given antibiotics in her IV, and then we continued them orally after we got her home.

The tonsilectomy was definitely the harder surgery, probably because she was smaller and didn't understand what was happening, and also because it just seemed to hurt her more. She was really upset by the blood and mucus in her throat and nose after the surgeries, but she is a kid who hates having mucus in her throat/nose. She was also very nauseus after the surgeries, so it was hard to get her to take fluids, especially after the tonsilectomy. She only needed pain meds for about a day after the adenoidectomy, but she needed three days of heavy duty pain meds after the tonsilectomy, and you could definitly tell when they were wearing off because she cried terribly, so watch the clock carefully and be ready with the next dose.

You should both wear clothes that you don't mind getting stained, and have your DD wear clothes that are easy to get on and off--the last thing you want is to have to wrestle a tight neckline over an unhappy little head! I'm not sure how old your DC is, but before the second surgery we read the chapter in Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day where the rabbit gets her tonsils out and it helped. We read it again in the hospital while waiting for the surgery, and that was good too, since she already knew about the different kind of doctors and nurses she would be meeting and what they would do.

Good luck!

matthewsmom
01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks everyone for posting your replies. I guess I'm just really really nervous b/c I've heard from people that it is really hard but haven't really gotten actual details. I am glad to hear that the antibiotics is for post surgery. My DS is 4 1/2 years old and he is so fearful of any sort of pain. Even a little scrape and fall makes him cry for a long time. I think it is the sight of blood. So I'm sure it's not going to be fun for us at all.

Once again, thanks everyone!!

kransden
01-01-2008, 10:12 PM
DD had hers out this summer at 4.5 yrs. I thought the drugs for home would make her sleepy, BUT NO. She was wide awake - sigh. She stayed overnight the first night. Then we went home. I'll be totally honest and tell you it was the week from #$%! Getting her to drink and take her antibotics was misery. She kept crying and screaming, so of course it took her throat longer to heal. It was just so hard to get her to drink. I had every popcicle known to man and ice cream too.

If there is anything you can bribe your child with, offer it in exchange for taking the antibotic.

On the plus side, after the 2 weeks were up, she suddenly started sleeping at night. She used to have terrific temper tantrums, those are now a thing of the past. Basically, I am so glad we had it done and wish we had done it earlier. It was worth the 2 awful weeks I had to endure. (Dh was traveling through most of it.)