PDA

View Full Version : baby loves disco, anyone?

kali
01-01-2008, 04:27 AM
This event/function? is coming to our city. Here's the blurb on their website (http://www.babylovesdisco.com/about):

"All across the country, Baby Loves Disco is slowly but surely transforming the hippest night clubs into child proof discos as toddlers, pre-schoolers and parents looking for a break from the routine playground circuit let loose for some post naptime, pre-dinner fun. Make no mistake, this is NOT the Mickey Mouse club, and Barney is Banned. Baby loves disco is an afternoon dance party featuring real music spun and mixed by real djs blending classic disco tunes From the 70s, & 80s guaranteed to get those little booties moving and grooving.

The fun spills out from all corners of the club: bubble machines, baskets of scarves and egg-shakers, a chill-out room (with tents, books and puzzles), diaper changing stations, a full spread of healthy snacks and dancing, LOTS of dancing. But at it’s core, Baby loves disco is a community event that brings kids together with kids and parents together with parents. Started by professional dancer (and professional mom) Heather Murphy, the idea was to create an alternative to the pre-packaged world of entertainment for young kids. “We’re parents, we’re always looking for something new and different to do with the kids,” says Murphy whose lifestyle (like most of the baby disco parents) was changed when she gave birth to her 4 year old son Max.

The monthly event, which started in Philly where it has sold out club Fluid since inception, caught the ear of Brooklyn-based music guy Andy Hurwitz who brought the party up to New York City in the fall of 2005: 'my kids had a blast, but the real bonus was that my wife and I had a great time too,' said Hurwitz, founder of ropeadope records and father of two young boys. He added, 'It’s more than just something to do for the kids, Baby Loves Disco is fun for parents, we get the chance to mingle with other parents, dance with our kids and have a Saturday afternoon cocktail to boot.'"

It sounds really fun and pretty consistent with our parenting approach; I'm not trying to drag my kid into a dark dirty sleazy nightclub, but a mid-afternoon party with grownup music and beer along with bubbles and juice boxes sounds pretty cool to me. I've seen some great reviews, but there are also some negative reviews out there along the lines of self-centered parents trying to integrate their babies into their partying lifestyles.

If any of you moms or dads have attended one of these soirees, could you share your experience/opinion?

caheinz
01-01-2008, 05:04 AM
We tried it and were definitely not impressed. Maybe it was the venue, but it was LOUD (DS covered his ears while we were on the floor with the music, and he'll be 4 in a few months, and is thus capable of being plenty loud himself). The quiet area was a joke, since it was on the same floor as the LOUD music, and was just a couple of signs up against a wall. (Not even the farthest wall.)

It was over-crowded, and the only things set out food or drink-wise were juice boxes, goldfish crackers, and cereal bars. Oh, and there were a few veggie and fruit trays.

It didn't really help that half of the non-loud floor was set aside for vendors, and most of the rest of it was taken over by birthday parties.

Neither DH, DS, nor I enjoyed ourselves, and we're not likely to go back. We didn't spend much time, didn't enjoy it, certainly didn't find lunch (not sure if we should have been able to, but a previous time had had more food out), and didn't feel like it was money well-spent at all.

I had the sense that 8-12yo girls would enjoy it more than the babies it's marketed for.

Lovingliv
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
I did it and would not do it again. It was so loud...and they played music for the parents,,,,not the kids. No vendors showed up and it was scaled way back from what was advertised. I was not happy with it, and didn't really think it was suitable for little ones.