PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your kids during church et al

hillview
01-01-2008, 09:18 PM
We just started to go to a church. DS #1 is 2.5 and I am torn about what to do with him. They offer a babysitter during service but I think he'd like the music and parts of the service. The service is pretty casual and folks seem ok with him being there (there are some kids there and some with the babysitter). On the other hand it might be nice for me to be able to listen etc.

Anyone?
TIA
/hillary

JBaxter
01-01-2008, 09:26 PM
We have "childrens church" which is like sunday school during church service. They listen to a bible story, do a related craft and sing songs. Nathan LOVES it. Our church runs a daycare during the week so the room he is in is a 4 yr old daycare/preschool room with tons of stuff to do. I enjoy the church service without having to dig through my purse for a snack, toy, crayon/paper etc. After age 6 they come into the church service.

August Mom
01-01-2008, 09:30 PM
I would use the babysitter during at least the sermon (but probably the whole service). If you really want him there for singing, you could probably take him out after that.

I kept DS in church with us way too long. After I finally sent him to Sunday School, I could concentrate so much more and got a lot more out of the service. When he was there, I was constantly trying to keep him quiet and occupy him.

lizajane
01-01-2008, 09:46 PM
i think it is really up to you. try it both ways and see what makes you feel best. we prefer to NOT have the children in the service, as ours are very active and make it near impossble sometimes for us to worship.

however, we joined when schuyler was a baby so we know the childcare workers, we volunteer once per quarter and we appreciate the message in sunday school/nursery time.

and we do have some children attend our service and i am not bothered at all by the occasional crying baby or restless toddler, as long as the parent makes an effort to remove the child IF the disruption doesn't end!

bubbaray
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Our church has a very active childrens' program, starting at age 3m in the nursery. At 19m, they move to the 2's, then after that they go up a year every September (3yo room, 4yo room, 5yo room, then into the age groups 6-8, etc). All ages start in the worship, then leave about 15 minutes into it -- they get some time to hear some music and see the upcoming events video.

My DD#1 started in the 2yo room and that is what we will probably do with DD#2. They don't really do any instruction in the nursery, it really starts in the 2yo room, so that is why we'll wait.

KBecks
01-01-2008, 10:35 PM
The boys go to the nursery sometimes and sometimes they sit with us. It depends, but both options are OK by us.

MelissaTC
01-01-2008, 11:03 PM
DS has sat with us (we attend a Catholic church and there has not been much of a nursery). Our congregation is 50% children under the age of 10 so there are LOTS of kids around. He started attending children's liturgy which happens during the readings and homily/sermon so DH and I can actually concentrate and hear what is going on. DS loves it because the kids go upstairs and have their own altar. They listen to the same readings but on their level. They have a discussion, pray together and sometimes do a simple craft. Then they come back during the offeratory. It has made DS take a more active interest in attending church, especially when he gets to wear the cross and carry the book upstairs as the leader of the children.

Melanie
01-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Sit in the back and don't go very often. :( During times when they have evening services Ds & I go b/c he's always been able to sit still and enjoyed "observing" others. Dd is a do-er. Whenever I bring her it's just stressful and I spend my time keeping her happy and quiet. They do have an isolated room where you can take noisy "babies," in case, though. I don't want to leave her with anyone else.

kijip
01-02-2008, 02:10 AM
He used to go to the children's room till just before communion. Now we are trying a different church (one that is easier to get to by myself with J working on Sundays now) and they do not have a children's room. They distribute kid packets and encourage coloring etc during the service. He can participate in singing etc.

JoyNChrist
01-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Avery goes to the nursery. I just can't concentrate while trying to keep my very active baby entertained. The nursery distributes beepers to the parents so they can page us if necessary (DS gets hurt, won't stop crying, etc). This, combined with the fact that I know most of the workers personally, makes me feel very comfortable leaving him there.

They have "children's church" starting at age 2, which he'll attend if we stay at this church.

momtoonegirl
01-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Usually DD is asleep during the majority of the service (starts at 9AM), so she is in my arms the entire time :).

When she was younger, I would take her either to the mother's room or the infant room (younger than 2 years old). The mother's room is a separate room with a privacy area that has a few rocking chairs for feeding, changing tables, etc. and the infant room has high chairs and some small toys for the younger kids. Some snacks are served as well, but that is optional. Although there are supervisors, I usually accompanied her.

When she turns 2, there is an official "Children's Church" so she will attend those services while we are in the main sanctuary.

klwa
01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
We have children's church, which doesn't start until after most of the music, etc is over. The kids leave out after the offering is collected. I'm on the list to help out with CC once every two months.

BeachBum
01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
My son is 2. He goes into the nursery until time for communion. He loves "getting that special bread from Father George" :D and then there are at least two songs after. I couldn't even begin to imagine having him in there for longer. He just wants to walk around and check everything and everyone out.

hez
01-02-2008, 09:17 AM
DS went to the nursery from about 6 months 'til just under 3. At that point he stayed in the service with us 'til Children's Moment, and then went to 'Junior Church' with the rest of the kids (up to about 2nd or 3rd grade, I think).

The church does provide a kids' worship bulletin (one for ages 3-6, and one for ages 7-12) and crayons, so that during the 15-20 minutes he's in the adult service he's occupied if he needs to be.

elephantmeg
01-02-2008, 09:55 AM
DS now goes to the nursery for all of it, until 8-10 months or so he stayed with me-either in nursery or in service. I run the nursery so am back there at least once a month. 2-3's usually are in nursery during worship (which is 30+ minutes long so they get pretty wiggly) and then in children's church. 3+ usually stay in the service for worship and then go back during offering and stay back for the sermon etc.

Jen841
01-02-2008, 10:43 AM
No nursery, so the kids are with us. They do now have a program during part of mass for 4yr+, so my older one does that. Church normally means me in the cry room with the 2 yr old, and DH in the main area with the 4 yr old. I can't say I am getting much out of mass. One is too noisey for the main area, and the other is offended by going in the "baby" area. We keep going weekly hoping it will get better.

I do think we will get a sitter once a month and do Saturday night mass without kids. Worth very penny!

MommyAllison
01-08-2008, 07:39 PM
We put DD into the nursery starting around 4 months I think, when she was able to go the length of the service (2hrs) without nursing. I had worked in the nursery for several years prior to DD being born, and was ok leaving her there since I knew everyone well, and knew exactly what she would be doing the entire time. She is in the 2 year old room now, and loves going to class and playing with friends. :) I do help out in her room during the midweek service every week. The only time she comes into service with us is Christmas Eve service, and once in awhile I take her in during worship to watch DH (leads worship). Christmas Eve is crazy enough, the only way we made it through this year is that my parents and sisters were there to help distract/keep her quiet. I'm glad there is somewhere for her to go! In the 2 year old room, they play most of the time, with a snack, craft, and bible story in the middle.