PDA

View Full Version : How often do you receive the compliment on your DC' look from a stranger?

kusumat
01-02-2008, 01:59 AM
My mom and DH has kept me to take DD(18 months) to audition or cast calling. Whenever we took her out during the weekend(started since she was 6 months), strangers often approached us and told us how cute she was. Last weekend, a lady again told us that she should have been in the movie. I have tried to tell my mom and DH that other kids got these kind of compliments all the time and not to make a big deal of it. Now, I wonder whether I close her opportunity to shine.

Any thoughts? TIA!

kijip
01-02-2008, 02:07 AM
We get comments all the time, more maybe when he was little and bore a striking resemblance to the Gerber baby, but we still get them on most outings. He has dimples, big blue eyes and is extremely talkative.

That said, I would never, ever try and get him cast in anything at all. Besides, there are A LOT of REALLY cute kids out there...like pretty much every kid! Also, in our case it is not like there are not a zillion pretty white boys' mothers ferrying them to casting calls.

Marisa6826
01-02-2008, 02:12 AM
Pretty regularly. But then, there are very few 'ugly' kids out there, kwim? Not that you go around calling kids ugly as each kid is special in their own way if not classically pretty or cute.

Still, more often than not, people comment on the girls. A lot of the time, they even assume that they're twins - got that comment (yet again) tonight. :eek:

-m

ellies mom
01-02-2008, 02:13 AM
All the time. We heard the modeling thing too, constantly. But I didn't know how to go about finding a reputable agency or whatever you need when she was younger and now she is way too reserved.

But yeah, it is pretty constant.

rachelh
01-02-2008, 02:16 AM
DD is the same age and I can literally be stopped 10 times in the course of a couple of hours out. DD is gorgeous and cute as I am sure yours is also but I feel like it has been happening a lot more recently because shes at the age where shes busy saying hello to everyone and "flirting." (today she literally walked up to this guy in his early 20's and was batting her eyelashes and smiling at him.)

I have asked on these board previously about modeling and mostly got responses that werent so optimistic - ie. long wait lines, no call backs, a lot of running/waiting around with not much outcome, unless your baby has a unique look...

JoyNChrist
01-02-2008, 02:30 AM
All. The. Time.

Seriously, it's kind of ridiculous. DS has huge blue eyes and blonde curls, which people comment on a lot (of course, they also often ask if he's a girl, but whatever). He also has an adorable smile and is very friendly (okay, honestly he's kind of a ham...loves attention), so I guess people feel comfortable coming up to us and talking to him.

Then again, I live in the south, and people are generally pretty friendly and willing to talk to strangers, so it may just be a way to start a conversation, ya know?

I was a baby/child/teen model myself (stopped in college), and although I enjoyed it I just don't think I have the time or the energy to devote to it with DS. I'd rather spend my time playing with him at home than sitting around waiting at casting calls.

Tracey
01-02-2008, 02:59 AM
We still get stopped regularly, but when she was younger the attention was constant. One time when we were shopping, after a half dozen people had stopped to make some comment, DD started saying "thank you" before people could even got the compliment out. Honestly, I think this happens to most parents because kids are so darned cute. Also, people think they have something in common with you because they have had children and enjoy thinking about when theirs were little. The younger people that go ga-ga are daydreaming about having their own beautiful child one day.

As for the modeling thing, that is not something I would pursue. To me, if money is earned, that is more of a job than a fun activity. She doesn't need a job. If DD wants to try modeling, she can do so as an adult...or at the very least through her own volition. Since there aren't any willowy 6 ft. tall women in our family, I don't see the modeling thing working out ;).

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-02-2008, 03:56 AM
We used to get stopped a lot when Avi was a baby. He has huge blue eyes and had really nice soft curls and was/is so cute. Now people say he is so cute because he talks to everyone. On Sunday I took him shopping and he was talking to everyone at every store we were at. He is a very friendly kid and likes to interact with everyone that he can. I agree that there are a ton of cute kids out there, and not many "ugly" children, but there must be something special about the kids who are in commercials. I don't think I would spend the time/money shuttling my child to auditions. I have heard it is a ton of work and a large commitment on the parents end, and I would not want to make that commitment. As Stacy said, I would rather spend time with my child than waiting for casting calls.

DrSally
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
A lot when he was younger, but a little less now that he is older and has lost the baby cheeks and is more reserved/serious. I would get random people making comments and one actually was running through Target to get something and stopped at our cart to say how "georgous" DS was and that she loves babies, but he was "exceptional". I thought that was sweet.

sarahsthreads
01-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Way more often than I'm comfortable with. When the tenth person stopped me in the grocery store one day (I'd been there less than an hour) I started really getting creeped out about it. Especially since that last one said "She's beautiful. No I REALLY mean it, she's the most gorgeous baby I've ever seen! I just want to take her home with me!" Most people worry a lot about internet safety. I'm way more worried about someone following me home from the grocery store now. ;)

It happens slightly less often now that she's three and not always angelic in public, but yeah, I think it's a comment that most parents hear frequently.

Sarah :)

Clarity
01-02-2008, 10:16 AM
DD has big dark eyes and curly brown hair and she always draws attention when we're in public with her. I've often gotten the "she should be in magazines, etc." comments. And, while I ask her all the time when she's going to start make the mortgage payments for us, I don't think we'll get her involved in modeling or anything. I just want her to enjoy being a kid, you know?

Moneypenny
01-02-2008, 10:45 AM
We get this all the time. When she was younger, it was all about how she looked. Now we get the comments about how she is beautiful and well-behaved and speaks so well for her age, blah blah blah.

In general, I think most children are attractive and engaging and people like to comment on it.

aidansmommy
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Pretty regularly. But then, there are very few 'ugly' kids out there, kwim? Not that you go around calling kids ugly as each kid is special in their own way if not classically pretty or cute.

Still, more often than not, people comment on the girls. A lot of the time, they even assume that they're twins - got that comment (yet again) tonight. :eek:

-m
I was asked last week if my kids were twins...my son is 4 and my daughter is 1. I don't think the woman was drinking...

hellokitty
01-08-2008, 05:29 PM
I was asked last week if my kids were twins...my son is 4 and my daughter is 1. I don't think the woman was drinking...

Lol, she must also be one of those women who thinks that boys are girls and girls are boys! Ppl think my kids look like twins, granted they are only 18 mo apart, BUT they look COMPLETELY different. My oldest looks just like my side of the family, my youngest looks just like my DH's side of the family. I sometimes wonder if it's b/c they think all asians look the same...

denna
01-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Trying not to sound conceited (if thats even possible when you are not speaking of yourself). We do get compliments everytime we go to the store. Literally every time. It was funny to us because we told DS the compliments would stop once we moved back to the US from Italy (where he was fawned over everywhere) but they havent. And honestly I am amazed (not that I dont think my son is gorgeous, but then again Im biased). I have considered submitting photos for contests like Baby Gap, etc but the timing has never been right yet. Now I dont think it is something he would enjoy but if when he's older he wants to give it a shot or is comfortable we may go for it.

wellyes
01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
To be COMPLETELY honest, whenever I am in the presence of a kid I'll generally say something very positive about him/her. Kids are like magnets. My eyes (I think most people's eyes) naturally go towards them. It's just human nature, I think. And even more so for me now that I am pregnant for the first time - babies are much more fascinating than they used to be LOL!

When I see that I've been spotted by a parent, I'll say something like "wow, what a gorgeous baby" or "how adorable!" What else can I say? "Sorry I got caught staring!" I feel awkward about it, but I feel like it's just nicer to be really complimentary to the kid than to say nothing.

JustMe
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
People gush about how beautful dd is to an almost ridiculous point. Although I do think all kids are beautiful, sometimes when kids are beautiful in either a more unique way or a way that represents something/someone special (i.e. the Gerber baby) they get a lot more comments of this type. As dd's preschool teacher said, some kids just have something about their appearance (if it is their hair, eyes, general look) that makes them stunning, as opposed to the regular type of beautiful/adorable/cute that describes most kids.

vludmilla
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
ITA with the previous posters. I think that most babies get complimented all the time. I know my my daughter does and although I think she is beautiful, I also know that other children are beautiful too. So, I wouldn't put all the time that it requires into modeling because usually the returns are on the small side. I too was slightly involved in modeling as a child/teen and my father is a photographer. Although I was super thin (naturally at the time) and about 6 feet tall, the offers didn't just pour in. Also, you need to be very wary of unscrupulous agencies which are really just looking to make a profit for themselves. If you do explore modeling, remember that you should NEVER pay for pictures or to be "managed".
-Victoria

himom
01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
We get pretty consistent compliments too, pretty much anytime we leave the house.