PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo vs Graco ? for triplet stroller

triplets!
12-15-2007, 08:19 PM
We are expecting triplets in early 2008 and need to buy one of a few types of infant seats to fit in the Triple Decker stroller. According to their website, our only options are:

Evenflo®, Embrace™, Discovery™, On My Way™, Cozy Carry™, and PortAbout®

Graco® SnugRide or Graco® SafeSeat Step1

We used neither of these with our first child, so we really have no idea what would be best. We also need them to fit as best as possible in a minivan, so width is an issue as well as weight since we will have a lot to carry!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Joolsplus2
12-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh, tough with triplets... I know from a 'lasts the longest, is easiest to install' perspective the Safeseat 1 is the best bang for your buck. Which minivan? I'm thinking you'll have to use lap/shoulderbelts for one or more seats, which is why the Safeseat is really appealing (the other seats have WAY harder to install bases, most requiring locking clips--The safeat has a built in seatbelt lockoff and installation takes just seconds). The Evenflos are lighter, but are harder to use properly, and the biggest problem with them is they require the handles to be down when driving (The Gracos can be popped in the car, handle can stay up :) )
The safeseat is the biggest of the seats, by an extra inch or two and maybe half a pound, but it fits average kids for 16-24 months. The Snugrides last 9-15 months. Either model (Snugride--SR or Safeseat 1--SS1)is routinely 99$ on sale at various places if you aren't too picky about the fabric choices (the snugride will require a locking clip with most lap/shoulder belts, but the seat is so nice and simple and easy to use that it makes up for that slightly tricky install...the Evenflos are hard to install AND hard to use, so they really aren't a favorite model)

o_mom
12-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I'll add my $0.02 - try out a bunch of carseats in the stroller, even ones not on the list. For example, I know that for the Snap 'n Go, it says that the SafeSeat does not fit - it is not just not listed, but it says it will not fit. I tried it out and it fit perfectly, so I never trust a stroller listing to say if something fits. If the KeyFit worked, that would be an awesome choice for triplets on so many levels (fits small babies well, easy to install and use, etc.)

All this said, I think you really need to look at what seat will fit a very small baby well. This link: http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/Preemie_CR_list_4_07.pdf has some great info on seats for small babies. If you could get a KeyFit to work in the stroller, that would be a great combination, for example. You can also talk to your NICU about what they do for small babies. Some will have seats, like the Graco Assura available to purchase or you can rent a car bed. In that case, you could buy the seats you want for long term (SafeSeat for example) and then have the backup plan to purchase/rent something if they don't work right away.