PDA

View Full Version : bedding sets vs. non bedding sets

Gremlinsmum
12-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Okay I am having an internal dilemma. I fell in love with a bedding set because of some of the coordinating features and the look of the bumber. However I have heard that bumpers are dangerous because of SIDS as well as quilts. Well I don't want to get bedding in a set if I can't use some of the pieces. Plus it only comes with one sheet and you can't buy the same sheet separately.

But where can I find coordinating pieces that I can buy separately? I have looked at Pottery Barn Kids and don't like any of their stuff because it is either too boy or too girl. We want something unisex that will continue through when we have a second baby.

What do you all do?

val01
01-14-2008, 08:55 PM
I bought my pieces at the Gap.

Valerie

kitten
04-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I just bought my set off of nurserydepot. There was the option of purchasing only the pieces you want and NOT the set. They also have free shipping right now.

Good luck!

KBecks
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
I got PBK separates and just went with fitted sheets and crib skirts, and I don't know it's been that much cheaper than a bedding set. I would consider a bumper for the next babe and hang a quilt on the wall. This was tough for me too, it would be ideal if more separates were available.

WatchingThemGrow
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
I got solid crib sheets and skirt from Company Kids in colors that would work for either - no bumper, no quilt per the book's recommendation. It's been great to be able to switch the sheets over to DS's room now that we've got 2 cribs going. Since the crib skirt was still on DD's crib (and I liked it there) I ended up making one for the new baby's room. Aside from my time, it only cost about $8. We use the Ultimate Crib Sheet (get 2), so you only see the sides of the sheet anyway. I could live with one sheet since it is always covered by the UCS.

My Kindergarten students surprised me with a quilt they made right before DD was born. It matched the nursery with all the bright colors, so I hung it up. When her crib is not rolled back into the spot just right, she can reach it and yank it. DS will not have one on his wall for this reason.

Oh- we have wood floors and there were 2 Capel rugs we liked for b/g rooms, so it made it easy for us to pick the colors.

GeekLady
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
We're buying a couple of high quality solid crib sheets off SheetWorld.com, and I'm making a crib skirt and curtain.

I took one perusal through the available crib sheets and bedding sets/pieces, and that was enough, they're both overpriced and relentlessly cutesy, and/or ugly, and/or boring.

firsttimemama
04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
because of the safety issues we did not go with a set
we bought the accessories to cocalo alphabet soup & then a red crib skirt & yellow sheet

apetto
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I had difficulty finding what I wanted, so to match my nursery decor (brights for a girl) I ordered sheets from Carousel Designs (www.babybedding.com). They had a lot of colors to choose from and sold many of the nursery items seperately, which made coordinating my sheets w/ other room decor much easier. Good luck!

joyful mommy
05-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Check out Lands End crib sheets. We've loved the softness and durability of their cotton knit crib sheets and were able to get twin bed sheets to match (solid colors for each). We have both DCs in one room now with twin bed and crib in there.

We didn't use all of the pieces from the bedding set we chose for the crib (not LE, but Waverly -- a few yrs back now), but what we didn't use then, we either sewed into other coordinating pieces for the nursery or are using now that the DCs are older. The quilts (used as floor play quilts initially) are now snuggle blankets that both DCs like, for example.

I think that LE is mostly phasing out their cotton knit crib sheets for sueded percale ones. Quality and softness should still be good -- ask for free fabric swatches to check this and colors you might be interested in. Best of all, you can return at any time for any reason!

Good luck! :)