PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Portable Crib Recommendations

reillyjg
07-19-2000, 09:17 AM
Hello,

We want to purchase a portable crib for grandma's house. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to find the safest one or a comparison of portable cribs? Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

alandenisefields
07-19-2000, 09:55 AM
Hi there. When you say, "portable crib" that can mean two things. A smaller crib that can be set up and moved quickly---examples would be Delta, who makes several small cribs for grandma's house. Another alternative: portable playards (Graco's pak and play) which you can get with a bassinet option---that can be used for young infants (under 3-4 weeks). Then after the baby outgrows the bassinet, they can sleep in the playard. If you get a current model (not a hand-me-down that was recalled), this is a safe option.

Hope that helps,
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS
Email: [email protected]. Web: www.windsorpeak.com. Phone: 303-442-8792
Address: Windsor Peak Press, 436 Pine Street, Boulder, CO 80302

reillyjg
07-19-2000, 10:33 AM
Hello,

I had not considered a portable playard. That's probably a better option for their house.

Thank you!

Gator
07-24-2000, 09:45 PM
I have a Graco Pack 'n Play, as do my in-laws and my parents. I love them. I do recommend buying extra sheets for them as the ones that come with it are sort of flimsy (I bought some nice terrycloth ones at babies R us) but they work really well. It is also great as a playpen - I take mine when I have my hair done and put my now-walking son in it so I can keep an eye on him. He was in the bassinet part when he was a newborn and has slept in the bottom play area part in all three Pack N Plays. In fact the new ones are even easier to set up and take down compared tot eh one I bought just last year.

Two other notes -

I have a two story house and I kept the bassinet set up all the time when my child was a newborn. It was nice to have another "crib" on the first floor since his nursery was on the second.

Also, I had a friend buy one and use it for her new puppy until it was trained. Worked like a charm and was better than a crate.

reillyjg
07-25-2000, 09:48 AM
Hi, Thank you for the advice. We just bought a Graco Pack 'n Play to give my in-laws as a gift. I think it will be perfect!

rodmar
08-08-2000, 11:53 PM
Did you mean that the bassinet can be used 3-4 months rather than 3-4 weeks? The label on my Graco says that it can be used under 3 months, less than 15 pounds, and if the baby is not too active. We actually used it with our small 6 month old with no problems. At that time she was rolling, but not crawling or sitting up and it was perfectly safe. However, she was not 15 pounds, as I assume most 6 month old babies are.

Marcia

alandenisefields
08-17-2000, 05:23 PM
You're right. We goofed. We meant to write 3 to 4 MONTHS.

Thanks for the correction.

Alan and Denise Fields
authors

crdowd
06-21-2001, 11:16 AM
I am looking for the first type of portable crib you mention -- the small crib which folds and is set up easily, NOT the pack n play. Would you recommend the ones made by Delta? I also found one on the Babies R Us website manufactured by Evenflo called a Foldaway Crib. Are either of these safe and would you recommend one over the others? My baby can't sleep in the Pack N Play because of all the rustling.

Thanks.

wilson1222
06-21-2001, 01:53 PM
I want to know more about the extra sheets you got at BRU. All I was able to find were sheets made by Graco for the PNP - basically the exact same sheet that comes with the PNP. Is the terry sheet made for a play yard or is it a sheet for something else? Do you know the brand? Thanks!

pricetl
10-04-2002, 01:38 AM
I am looking for a good sleeping option for my 16 month old. We will be at grandma's house for three months this year and potentially for one month each summer in the future (baby #2 is on the way). I want to be able to change his room in case he has a hard time sleeping in one place or the other, so I think I should avoid a full size crib. However, I am concerned about having him sleep in a portable crib with what appears to be such a thin mattress for 3 months. Does this sound safe? I am not a big fan of having him sleep in the pack and play. He's never liked that much. I wondering if 1. a portable crib (not pack and play) is consider safe for such long use and 2. can they normally move from room to room fairly easily?

thanks for any recommendations!

daisymommy
10-06-2002, 05:02 PM
They are by NOJO and are found in the same isle as the Pack n'Plays, or on the end-cap. They do wash up up much softer than the stiff PNP sheets. Get a size large to fit a full size "bassinet"/playyard mattress of the PNP. And yes, they do say play yard sheets.
HTH,

George
01-15-2003, 02:11 AM
Hello,

Does this mean we can buy a play yard with bassinet option and use it in our bedroom until we are ready to let our baby sleep in his own crib in the nursery? We were thinking about purchasing one of those co-sleepers or a traditional bassinet but would prefer a play yard. Any advice?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
01-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Yes, just watch the weight limits - the bassinet option normally has a 15 pound weight limit, at which time you must move the baby to the floor of the play yard.

Lori & Colin 9/28/02